Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Surly disk long haul trucker

Old 06-11-18, 06:58 PM
Proshav

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly disk long haul trucker

Heyya! I'm planning on solo cycling from Toronto to nova Scotia this summer. Im really interested in the DLHT, however I'm a bit skeptical as the price is about $2700!! My local cycling shop is custom making the bike with the Shimano 105 series that comes with Hayes CX expert clippers. The price doesn't include the fenders, padels, good saddle, the front and rear racks ! I'm very very new to this, I bike almost 5 days of the week to work and back (~30k) with a very old steel racing bike but I have no idea what to look for in a touring bike. I'm also a female so I'm worried my bike shop isn't taking me too seriously haha I'm just wondering if the price is reasonable for a custom made touring bike.
Old 06-11-18, 07:22 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Proshav
My local cycling shop is custom making the bike with the Shimano 105 series
Shimano 105 doesn't provide the gear range Disc Truckers (and touring bikes in general) normally come with. Who's decision was it to put 105 on it?

And that price - you can use the internet and see what fully equipped Disc Truckers usually cost.

but I have no idea what to look for in a touring bike
Disc Trucker stock build is well thought out:

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker/bike_specs

One key thing is 3x10 (or 3x9) wide range gearing.

Last edited by tyrion; 06-11-18 at 07:26 PM.