Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Wider shoulder pads for aero bars.

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 06-19-18, 03:34 PM
Whidbey88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have broad shoulders, and severe shoulder arthritis. When riding my Cervelo P3 with Zipp Vuka bars, I have a really hard time getting my arms in the pads. When I get there, it's also very uncomfortable. Does anyone know of an off the shelf product that can help me get the pads out wider on the Zuka's? All of the adapters I've found are for round bars. I'm not concerned with aero, more about comfort. Thanks.
Old 06-26-18, 08:16 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Whidbey88
I have broad shoulders, and severe shoulder arthritis. When riding my Cervelo P3 with Zipp Vuka bars, I have a really hard time getting my arms in the pads. When I get there, it's also very uncomfortable. Does anyone know of an off the shelf product that can help me get the pads out wider on the Zuka's? All of the adapters I've found are for round bars. I'm not concerned with aero, more about comfort. Thanks.
I had to look at a few pics of the Vuka bars to see just how the pads are mounted. Years ago, I had a similar issue with some standard clip-ons. Not because of arthritis, but just because I wanted the bars mounted close-in, but wanted my elbows, in the pads, somewhat wider. I ended up doing a simple DIY and made my own extensions where I just got a piece of sturdy aluminum for each side, drilled holes appropriately, screwed that into the bar mount extending outward, and then mounted the pads through the drilled holes on the outer end of the extensions. Words well.

Dan