Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thinking about a Bullitt

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Thinking about a Bullitt

Old 07-30-18, 05:31 AM
knucks

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking about a Bullitt

Last edited by knucks; 06-21-20 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 12:19 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
They are beautiful bikes! If it's an itch that won't go away, then do it. Otherwise there are lots of other ways to accomplish the goals you mentioned (other cargo bikes, trailers, etc.).
Old 08-06-18, 12:32 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
I agree that you have the right plan. If you are giving yourself time to save and decide then at least when you make a decision you will feel it will be well informed. I agree with Linberi, that you have to look at your other options. One consideration is how much you will be carrying. One of the bikes that I am pining over is the Belinki Cargo. bike. I had dismissed this style originally, however. it was the CarryGo people that added a nice box to this style bike that made me see the light. If you need even more room for Cosco runs then a Long John or trailer might be the answer.

Good stuff to think about. Keep us up to date and post pictures whatever you end up with.
Old 08-07-18, 10:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
CETMA is another of that type.. Human powered machines Long Haul https://www.catoregon.org/ another.. steel .

Old 08-11-18, 02:29 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
It's been a while, but I've made full grocery runs using my Worksman front-loading tricyle and also with my Arpan low-gravity bicycle.
The trike is wide, and if you ride in a road, it will more or less force you to take a lane. I could get to two different grocery stores using alleys and bike trails, so that wasn't an issue.
Both of these bikes are single speed, with coaster brakes. So with heavy loads, you need a flat route, due to gearing and due to brakes. But that I also have.
Result is, that for me, a Worksman front-loading tricycle, a Worksman low-gravity bicycle, the Mexican-style cargo trikes, etc., would all work fine.
If your route is hilly or requires you to ride more vehicular-style, the bakfiets-style make a lot of sense, even at a much higher price point.
But, if it's flat and you have good access, you have lots of other options.
And too, the cheaper bikes are better from a theft standpoint.
And even if it makes no economic sense, there's no reason not to just buy a bike you especially like- that's how people pick out their regular bikes.
Old 08-12-18, 10:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
My local does retro fit mid drives for 1600 bucks for a 350w motor , (more for higher power motors)

calculate that In..

you can add a motor later, but its not a Bosch or Shimano ....
that need a frame built around it..
Old 08-15-18, 12:40 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I'm also in the market for a Bullitt. For what you've got planned, though, a Burley Nomad trailer will do the job just fine, for about $350. I've had one for years, and it's great. I've carried four 40-pound bags of kitty litter in it, with no problem.

Now, though, we're expecting a baby. I wouldn't recommend having a kid just to justify the cost of a cargo bike, but hey, it's working for me.