Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Meniscus tear

Old 02-15-19, 02:21 PM
Lilmill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meniscus tear

anyone have meniscus trim surgery. I just had it done on Monday, and the day after I thought piece of cake was able to walk around a little without crutches minimal discomfort. Then two days after came and I was in agony. I知 four days after now and finally feeling little better but not walking without crutches now. Biggest pain is straightening the leg, I go back next week for post surgery. Hopefully I can get the clearance for riding bike at gym, I think some motion will reduce the stiffness. Guess I知 not meeting that increased strata goal for 2019
Old 02-15-19, 02:36 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I had it done while Wifey was pregnant with our now 23 yr old son. I remember being home the same day standing & video taping something at home. I have no recollection of timing when bandages came off or crutches etc. just be patient, be a good patient. no pun intended. is they say rest, then rest, if they say elevate, then elevate, if they prescribe meds, take them. my surgery was quick 17 minutes in & out. afterwards I became very protective of my body & became very conscious of walking straight, especially up & down stairs. I distinctly remember thinking (after healing) well this is definitely better than it was, but not as good as before the tear. but years later I would be running, swimming, cycling, etc. I stay off the leg machines at the gym tho. those are knee killers. regular leg lifts are fine & I now use the stair machine & run the tread mil regularly

but, everyone's knee surgery is different!
Old 02-15-19, 03:50 PM
rayooo

Bikes: Superfly-9.6, Domane-4.5 Emonda-SLR 9

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I've had two Meniscus surgeries, first probably almost 10 years ago. 'was great for 7 years, then started having trouble again a few years back. I was told after second surgery that it looked pretty bad and I'd likely need knee replacement at some point.
The good news is It's been darned good now for a few years again.
Biking for me has worked wonders and yes as you mentioned, I think the motion and smooth stretching from riding has works wonders, at least for me.
Good luck getting back to 100%
Old 02-17-19, 12:18 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Unsolicited advice: Do the physical therapy. How they say, when they say, and for as long as they say. It won’t be easy or fun, but it will be the difference between poor, average, or excellent final results.

And time any pain meds shortly before exercise. You’ll be able to make better progress when you’re not compromised by pain.

Good luck!

-Kedosto
Old 02-17-19, 12:38 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Unsolicited advice: Do the physical therapy. How they say, when they say, and for as long as they say. It won’t be easy or fun, but it will be the difference between poor, average, or excellent final results.

And time any pain meds shortly before exercise. You’ll be able to make better progress when you’re not compromised by pain.

Good luck!

-Kedosto
Having recently experienced a broken ankle I fully endorse Kedosto’s advice.
Old 02-18-19, 02:50 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
My wife's sister had surgery on hers and she was on crutches with a knee brace for a while after surgery. Seemed like a few weeks. Then later had to have it operated on again because it either didn't heal right or came torn again or something. I don't think she's been back on her bike since the second surgery, but I'm hopeful that maybe this summer or next summer I can get her out there.
Old 02-21-19, 12:58 PM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Unsolicited advice: Do the physical therapy. How they say, when they say, and for as long as they say. It won稚 be easy or fun, but it will be the difference between poor, average, or excellent final results.

And time any pain meds shortly before exercise. You値l be able to make better progress when you池e not compromised by pain.

Good luck!

-Kedosto
Do this. I only used my crutches to get to the car after surgery, never after that. Be diligent on the ice and the recommended pain med/analgesic. You'll get there.
Old 02-21-19, 10:54 PM
Lilmill

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m 10 days post, and dr said yesterday. I ride and go to gym, let discomfort stop me. Jumped on the trainer today and did 20 miles. Kinda sore on the pull up side of stroke, and sore now but it felt good to get on the bike. Goal for this year is 2000 miles and get below 200lbs sitting at 225 now. Hopefully that will help the knees, if Mother Nature would cooperarate I could go back to ridin to work.
Old 02-22-19, 12:52 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by rayooo
I've had two Meniscus surgeries, first probably almost 10 years ago. 'was great for 7 years, then started having trouble again a few years back. I was told after second surgery that it looked pretty bad and I'd likely need knee replacement at some point.
The good news is It's been darned good now for a few years again.
Biking for me has worked wonders and yes as you mentioned, I think the motion and smooth stretching from riding has works wonders, at least for me.
Good luck getting back to 100%
Same, except mine were in 01 and 06... cycling seems to have staved off the "every 5 year plan" my doc wanted me on.

I think I was couch bound for the first two days, and I got a drug dripper for my knee (removed it after 1 day, I believe, which felt really weird) and a machine that flexed my knee for me, used that for two days. Crutches for about a week and then pronounced limping for the next week.

I think it took about 6 weeks to really feel "back"

I suppose every situation is different, you'll need to get your doctor's advice and of course, do the PT.
Old 02-23-19, 10:16 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
It took me a few years to feel like I had a fully functional and pain free knee, I thought the surgeon botched the operation. But 30 years later I am running 15 miles a week besides cycling, so I think he got it right.
Old 02-26-19, 02:10 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Lilmill
I知 10 days post, and dr said yesterday. I ride and go to gym, let discomfort stop me. Jumped on the trainer today and did 20 miles. Kinda sore on the pull up side of stroke, and sore now but it felt good to get on the bike. Goal for this year is 2000 miles and get below 200lbs sitting at 225 now. Hopefully that will help the knees, if Mother Nature would cooperarate I could go back to ridin to work.
Loosing the weight will help the knees. Been there, done that. After weight loss my feet, ankles and knees feel far better (and I never noticed they felt bad).

I had the surgery in June 2016 for a tear. The PT actually started with a stationary bike setup. Had to keep it programs for a flat route and with a light drag for the first week. Usually started with 5 miles and then did a bunch of other exercsies. One of hte best was to sit in a wheeled desk chair and pull yourself around the room using only the repaired leg. Sounds easy, but was actually hard at first. Each PT session ended with 10 minutes of ice packing. Started real bike riding at 3 weeks, but was told to avoid hills for the first week. I did not ride too much as I was a bit leary of falling on the bad knee, so I used the programable stationairy bike.

The real irony is I tore the menicus hooking up a home theater system 6 months earlier in January. It hurt at first, but then felt better, except every now and then would give a real pain, usually when pulling my leg up into bed. I even took two bike trips. On the second, I hit some soft sand in a beach parking lot and went down when I could not unclip. It was sore for a few days and I went to the orthopedist, who repaired it a week later. I had dropped 40 pounds the fall before, and he said if I could keep it off, the chances were good I would not need another repair.. I did pick up 12 pounds last spring and felt it, so I went back on the diet regimen.
Old 02-26-19, 06:45 PM
Catmanran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I値l jump in here late. I had the microscopy maybe 4-5 years ago on a Thursday. Went back to work on the following Monday​​​​​​. They told me 4-6 weeks for a full recovery. It took 2 years before i was somewhat back to normal. Now I知 finally in good shape without any pain. I do try to wear shoes that won稚 let me get too much traction. Sometimes if I get a good bite I can tweak the knee some. But I値l admit I didn稚 follow any instructions or do any of the therapy. Good luck with your recovery!
Old 02-28-19, 12:36 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Biggest problem with the meniscus is that there is no direct blood supply to it, only the synovial fluid surrounding it in the knee capsule. Meniscus doesn't really heal itself too well anyway, so you have to be careful with your rehab and listen very carefully to your physical therapist. Your knee might need to be drained regularly too from post surgical swelling.

If you're not, make sure you try and keep it elevated and ice it for 20-30 minutes on, and at least 40 minutes off. It takes a lot for the coolness to get through the knee capsule, so you can go up to 30 minutes maximum, but if you don't allow it to warm back up then it can actually cause more swelling.

Make sure you let your PT know that you are a cyclist and that you want to get back to riding so they can tailor you treatment to that goal. Remember, if you 'Like' your PT, they are not doing their job! Listen to them carefully and make sure you do ALL your rehab or you may have more problems later.