Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Death that came too soon - Kelly Catlin

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Death that came too soon - Kelly Catlin

Old 03-15-19, 05:14 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Her dad thinks a concussion may have started her down this path.
Old 03-15-19, 05:52 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Merged duplicate threads.
Old 03-17-19, 09:33 AM
rickbuddy_72

Location: Michigan, on the lake, 60 miles WNW of Chicago as the crow flies, or 90 miles if the crow walks.

Bikes: Dolan DF4, BH Ultralight, 1974 Schwinn Paramount Track, Trek Alpha 1000, Trek 730, Miyata 930 affixed to a Brian Wind Trainer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
She was bipolar. Fingerprints are all over it.

Everything I've read, screams bipolar. It's often diagnosed as depression, which can lead to suicide.

If you want to know more, I can explain. I tried but this stupid forum logs me out when I write longer posts. I've lost two on the subject.

Concussion was a trigger event, she went through a bipolar reaction to endorphin withdrawal, her compensating behavior system failed her, and treatment for depression when one is bipolar can and does lead to suicide. SSRIs are bad for bipolar and are the choice drug for depression. Bipolar has to be treated with mood stabilizers and anti-pschotics. Problem is when bipolar hasn't been previously diagnosed the crisis can appear as clinical depression. It takes an average of 3.5 years to diagnose it.

I've fought and enjoyed my bipolar condition for over 50 years. I didn't know her. I do, though, feel like I lost a sister. This has caused me great grief. I feel if I knew her I could have helped and she would be alive.

If you'd like to know more, ask me. But right now reading all the signs of bipolar in Kelly's history I'm in tears a lot.

Rick
Old 03-17-19, 12:46 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
That's some great insight regarding endorphin withdrawal.

BTW, the fast timeout is a bug that has been logged since day-1 of this new update (that everyone hates). When you log in, click the "Remember Me" checkbox. That should keep the aggressive timeout from kicking in and logging you out.
Old 03-17-19, 05:05 PM
rickbuddy_72

Location: Michigan, on the lake, 60 miles WNW of Chicago as the crow flies, or 90 miles if the crow walks.

Bikes: Dolan DF4, BH Ultralight, 1974 Schwinn Paramount Track, Trek Alpha 1000, Trek 730, Miyata 930 affixed to a Brian Wind Trainer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
That's some great insight regarding endorphin withdrawal.
Thank you, Carlton, and thank you for the advice on the log in.

The thinking is that people with bi-polar condition self-medicate on endorphins. Their dopamine systems are out of control, and they use endorphins to kill the pain. More than that, my experience is that endorphin fix I needed also modulated the mood system, and therefore the dopamine system. That's how I see it from inside the beast. (Nick Lowe, The Beast in Me.)

Some bipolar people use alcohol to self medicate and often become alcoholics. Would you like to get into get into a drinking contest with an alcoholic? Not much difference in getting into a pain contest with a bipolar cyclist. Kelly mentioned that her high tolerance for pain was one of her strengths. That is a flag.

I felt that in my very best performances I not only had a high tolerance for pain, but I could elevate into euphoria. I can't explain it. It just happened. I wish I could figure out the secret, because that would be pretty cool. I'm back and working on it. I do think that when some thought I was hammering, I was actually juicing.

My seroquel drug is primarily used as an anti-schizophrenic (I just assured myself plenty of room for my stuff at the next event, haven't I?). And we're learning that I can replace that drug with endorphins. Endorphin working like and anti-psychotic? Think about that. That is powerful. Endorphin addiction is no joke.

That schizophrenia thing is kinda scary, so I looked up endorphin's effect on schizophrenia:

Endorphins modulate dopaminergic synaptic transmission by exerting both presynaptic and postsynaptic effects. On the molecular level, this modulation may involve the activity of nucleotide cyclases and protein phosphorylation systems. Thus, the dopaminergic neuronal hyperactivity, currently believed to be related to schizophrenia, may be caused by a primary alteration in the endorphin system.
Any sprinters see some magic words in there?

All other aspects being equal, I don't see where it would be easy to defeat a highly trained bipolar athlete who eats pain like Pac Man, and has an ability to juice up their phosphate power system. That is not to say the best cyclists are bipolar, but it may suggest the condition can help some excel.

Back in the 70s an elite told me that they were all manic depressives. I asked my psychologist how many racers were bipolar. "Only the good ones." he told me. I think that is a bit of hyperbole, but is reflective of a feeling that due to self-medication issues that bipolar is more highly represented in cycling than the general population. The general population figure is about 1%. Much research has to be done in this area.

I think it is important to realize that there are people in the sport who are subconsciously medicating with endorphins, they are very high-performing individuals in many areas of their lives, yet in the face of a trigger event, the loss of that medication will cause them to lose understanding of themselves and the world around them. Early diagnosis of the condition can help prevent misdiagnosis in crisis.

Awareness can save lives. I've seen at least 10 warning signs Kelly, before and after the concussion, that caused me concern and a lot of heartache. I'll discuss that later.

Rick
Old 03-17-19, 07:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I'm learning a lot here.'

Endorphins modulate dopaminergic synaptic transmission by exerting both presynaptic and postsynaptic effects. On the molecular level, this modulation may involve the activity of nucleotide cyclases and protein phosphorylation systems. Thus, the dopaminergic neuronal hyperactivity, currently believed to be related to schizophrenia, may be caused by a primary alteration in the endorphin system.
So is this stating (or inferring) that those with this condition have enhanced glycolysis and therefore ATP production?

(I'm not really up on the chemistry of sport. I know a bit, but not as much as I should.)

I think it is important to realize that there are people in the sport who are subconsciously medicating with endorphins, they are very high-performing individuals in many areas of their lives, yet in the face of a trigger event, the loss of that medication will cause them to lose understanding of themselves and the world around them.
Would some "adrenaline junkies" fit into this category for similar reasons?