Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's Healthier, Cycling or Moderate Alcohol Use?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-05-19, 08:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
There apparently are more than 100 studies that conclude there are health benefits to moderate alcohol consumption. Livestrong talks about 5 of the benefits
Are you looking for justification to keep drinking?

And I'm not sure I would look to Livestrong as a good, scientific resource.

Anything I've heard about benefits to drinking alcohol have been that a small glass of red wine a day might possibly be beneficial because of the antioxidants. If you're doing that, you're probably all right. But even that much alcohol doesn't appeal to me.
Old 04-05-19, 09:09 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Personally, I am intrigued to now learn that when it comes to longevity, studies indicate that, 'abstaining was a risk factor.'
• Scientists analyzed data from a number of studies. Prospective studies of middle-aged men almost universally find a U-shaped curve between alcohol and risk of death. Abstaining was a risk for all-cause death. Moderate drinkers live longer10
https://www.alcoholproblemsandsoluti...s-live-longer/

The conclusion was: 'In short, moderate drinkers live longer.'
Old 04-05-19, 10:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Agree and duly edited.
Edit some more then get back to us once you get to just your comment about this topic.
Old 04-06-19, 03:58 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I recently posted to this thread,Goodby to bad habits:
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And it's still too cumbersome to parse through.
Agree and duly edited.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Edit some more then get back to us once you get to just your comment about this topic.
"Get to just your comment about this topic"?!!
FWIW,
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Jim from somewhere between New Jersey and Vermont gave us a post which is more than one foot long...

The rest of you just need to surrender and bow down
Originally Posted by ksryder
Wow. That is masterful. I've always thought it was just self-indulgent and convoluted, but now I see that they are really performance art.

Bravo, sir. Bravo.
Furthermore, I quoted eight (8) subscribers in my first post to this thread.
Originally Posted by gugie
Mentions/quote notification should be #1 priority. It generates more use.
Originally Posted by Rollfast
You mean that more people possibly view your profile?

I killed that stuff off in the last version and never lacked for people looking at that, same for quotes.

Let's get the posting and editing features up and running right first? Mentions etc. were the last things added into it anyway
Originally Posted by obrentharris
You miss the point. Some of us actually like to communicate with each other:

Quotes and mentions are a great tool for doing that, also for moving discussions forward within a large and diverse thread. Just look at the number of times quotes have been used to forward this discussion.
Originally Posted by himespau
I imagine that he means that those of us who get e-mail notification of quotes and mentions are more likely to come back more frequently because our interest has been piqued to wonder what people are saying about our comments not that we want to look at the profiles of people...

And mentioning [and quoting] someone draws their attention to the thread in which they've been mentioned, which they might not otherwise visit, again bringing up the number of visits.

More page views => more revenue...
Though I have posted
…what I have gotten directly from BF [include]:
  • the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
    As one who quotes frequently, I would hope that invites more subscribers to read my posts, rather than visit my profile...
SO @mstateglfr and @indyfabz even though I didn’t quote you previously, thanks for your comments.

Anyways,
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
"What's Healthier, Cycling or Moderate Alcohol Use?"

That's actually one of the more stupid things I've ever seen proposed.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-06-19 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-07-19, 08:16 PM
McBTC

What's Healthier

thanks for your comments.

Anyways,
Agreed, footlong hotdogs are performance art-- if, e.g., Louisiana Red Hots and sourdough rolls.
Old 04-07-19, 08:21 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Maelochs
One would need to rather stringently define "healthier" for the OP to have any meaning.
True, true... healthier isn't necessarily related to increased longevity.
Old 04-07-19, 11:53 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Cycling outside you are exposed to pollution from all the cars, drivers who intentionally or not out to kill you. Drinking, moderately, just involves seating on a coach while watching TV. Clearly drinking is safer. lol
Old 04-08-19, 11:07 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
One of the most unhealthy things you can do is read all these articles that tell you what is bad for you. Then you worry and, perhaps, alter your diet, not necessarily for the good. As far as I can see, practically everything you can consume is bad for you. Best just to live the way you like. If you feel healthy and look healthy you probably are healthy. If not, you'll know soon enough. In the meantime, cycle, drink, eat what you like, in short, live the way you want to. You're doomed anyway.
Old 04-08-19, 11:13 AM
ivesjd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live a nice 7 mile ride from two wonderful breweries...
Old 04-08-19, 12:10 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
I have the only condition for which the Harvard School of Medicine suggests that a non-drinker start consuming 3-4 drinks per week. Vodka, red wine, beer, whatever. Despite a healthy diet and a fair amount of exercise I could not get my HDL up to the recommended level. Started having 3-4 drinks per week and HDL was 53. As a heart patient I've a record of my cholesterol, every 3 months dating back to 1992. But I also have GERD. So there are long periods when I've avoid alcohol. HDL is consistently high 40s-low 50s with alcohol, mid 30s without.

BTW alcoholics tend to have great HDL.
Old 04-08-19, 12:54 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Booze.
Old 04-08-19, 01:37 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by ivesjd
I live a nice 7 mile ride from two wonderful breweries...
Just what the doctor ordered...
Old 04-08-19, 01:43 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by jackb
One of the most unhealthy things you can do is read all these articles that tell you what is bad for you. Then you worry and, perhaps, alter your diet, not necessarily for the good. As far as I can see, practically everything you can consume is bad for you. Best just to live the way you like. If you feel healthy and look healthy you probably are healthy. If not, you'll know soon enough. In the meantime, cycle, drink, eat what you like, in short, live the way you want to. You're doomed anyway.
e.g., cycling, chicken wings and bloody Mary's garnished with celery for the fiber?
Old 04-08-19, 04:12 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Alcoholic rationalizations

Alcohol is a drug that distorts your brain and thinking. Any "report" listing the health benefits of alcohol will be a list of lies sponsored by alcohol industry and sellers. Such lists are directed at alcoholics ready to use any and all Rationalizations to continue their use of this drug, that they CHOOSE to use, alcoholism is not a decease, it is a choice that drinkers make, because they like it. Alcoholism runs in my family and I've seen and heard all the b's excuses for the selfish choices drunks make. To equate alcohol with the benefits of cycling is disgusting. And there is no such thing as "moderate drinking" , which is just another alcoholic rationalization.
Old 04-08-19, 04:35 PM
slowrevs

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry, Charlie, Moderate Alcohol Use is associated with reduced longevity

Originally Posted by McBTC
I'd say, 'cycling,' is healthier than drinking -- if, you have to choose -- but, there seems to be a lot more info about the benefits of alcohol than was ever conceded in the past, one of'm being... longevity, e.g., https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the...rate-drinking/
A long term, very large scale study of alcohol use by the British Health Agency that provides medical care for most Brits concluded that more than two drinks (any type) per week is associated with shorter life span.

The greater the average quantity of alcohol consumed per week, the greater the reduction in life span.

Will try to find specific BMJ link and add later.
Old 04-08-19, 04:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
combine them..

Bike to the Pub...
Old 04-08-19, 05:22 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
It’s important to recognize that these ”facts,” right or wrong, about drinking in the moderate range, concern effects in population studies, which, although statistically significant, are too small to have any knowable clinical meaning for any individual. Moralizing about them is simply obnoxious.
Old 04-08-19, 05:24 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
After you read all the garbage that is either happening to your body or all the ever-changing opinions on things they don't fully know (guessed)...

Go ahead and have that drink.
Old 04-08-19, 06:05 PM
McBTC

It's talked about as an example of one of those rare "Black Swan" findings... the benefits.
Old 04-08-19, 06:57 PM
Petros98223

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Frankly that is a strange question, the two activities are not related, as if one is exclusive to the other.

And I do not think anyone has shown a causal link with bicycle riding (or exercise in general) to longevity. You could even argue on average bicycle riders risk more accidents, and that can not be good for longevity.

OTOH there have been studies that show that long lived population groups (such as populations in certain Mediterranean islands) do consume moderates amounts of wine regularly. The other curious thing they do is have sex regularly into their old age. Does the sex make them live longer? or is having sex the results of good health into old age? Or perhaps it is unrelated, but rather an activity that keeps their will to live up, and has them looking forward to the next day (which you can not say is true with many of the elderly).

I think I may have even read a study that found that hard intense exercise over the long term can actually shorten your life. But I have to add that is not a risk for most of us as we age, me included.

Much of what aging and longevity is a mystery. WE live longer now in recent years than in any previous generation in the past. One of the things funny about the so called Paleo diet is that paleo man live to be about 35 to 40 years old, it that really a model of "healty life style"?

we have more disease that affect the elderly now because we have a lot more elderly people around because we are living much longer than we did in the past.

One thing for sure, wine consumption by humans has been around since the neolithic period, perhaps longer. Bicycles have only been around scarcely 150 years.
Old 04-08-19, 08:17 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Petros98223
And I do not think anyone has shown a causal link with bicycle riding (or exercise in general) to longevity. You could even argue on average bicycle riders risk more accidents, and that can not be good for longevity.
Except there are insurance companies that offer discounted premiums to people who cycle regularly, so obviously cycling HAS been demonstrated to add to health and life expectancy. These companies are in the business of getting these calculations right. Maybe they'll start doling out discounts to moderate drinkers sometime soon.
Old 04-08-19, 08:59 PM
McBTC

Based on a study of TdF-level competitors, years of comparatively extreme exertion, even to the point of utter exhaustion, didn't seem to shorten their lifespans given that their average longevity fell into the upper half of the population. We had a thread on that and links to the study.
Old 04-08-19, 09:02 PM
McBTC

I think Bob Roll may have combined moderate alcohol consumption with competitive-level road cycling, back in the day...
Old 04-08-19, 11:55 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by yukiinu
Alcohol is a drug that distorts your brain and thinking. Any "report" listing the health benefits of alcohol will be a list of lies sponsored by alcohol industry and sellers. Such lists are directed at alcoholics ready to use any and all Rationalizations to continue their use of this drug, that they CHOOSE to use, alcoholism is not a decease, it is a choice that drinkers make, because they like it. Alcoholism runs in my family and I've seen and heard all the b's excuses for the selfish choices drunks make. To equate alcohol with the benefits of cycling is disgusting. And there is no such thing as "moderate drinking" , which is just another alcoholic rationalization.
Stop sugar coating it and tell us how you really feel.
Old 04-09-19, 12:13 AM
oldbear63

Bikes: Fuji road bike, Trek mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yukiinu
Except that just a few years ago Scientific American stated in an editorial that "If you don't drink scientific evidence now suggests that you should start".

That advice might have changed; now there is evidence that alcohol causes or promotes cancer. So, drink alcohol to prevent heart disease, but it might kill you from cancer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.