Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's Healthier, Cycling or Moderate Alcohol Use?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-18-19, 08:34 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10142 Post(s)
Liked 5,831 Times in 3,139 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
The above study referred to above is behind a paywall but, the abstract about CHL (cognitively healthy longevity), is interesting in as much as it addressed frequency (such as daily) as well as the amount that may be considered, moderate...
Here's a link to the full text.

The authors controlled for a bunch of lifestyle and health factors relevant to cognitive decline in old age:

Lifestyle information, including smoking, exercise (≥3 times/week), and marital status was acquired through standard questionnaires. As described previously [[url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5939941/#R25]25], depressed mood was assessed using 18 of the 21 items on the Beck Depression Inventory [[url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5939941/#R26]26]; scores were proportionally adjusted. Individuals with a score below 13 were considered not categorically depressed. Participants were also asked about current medication use (number of medications) and whether they had ever been diagnosed with any of the following: thyroid, liver, kidney, or cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer (non-skin), emphysema, arthritis, hip fracture, hypertension, stroke, or transient ischemic attack. Height, weight and waist and hip circumference were measured with participants in light clothing and no shoes, and waist-hip ratio was calculated as a measure of central adiposity. Blood pressure was recorded as the average of two readings obtained while the participant was in the rested, seated position by a nurse trained in the Hypertension Detection and Follow-up Program protocol [[url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5939941/#R27]27]. Metabolic syndrome was defined using 2001 NCEP-ATPIII criteria [[url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5939941/#R28]28].
However, while they noted that the sample was "predominantly white (99.4%), middle to upper-middle class adults," notably absent among the covariates were education, intelligence, and socioeconomic status, all of which are positively associated with alcohol consumption and the study outcomes.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 04-18-19 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-18-19, 09:15 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Here's a link to the full text.

The authors controlled for a bunch of lifestyle and health factors relevant to cognitive decline in old age:

However, while they noted that the sample was "predominantly white (99.4%), middle to upper-middle class adults," notably absent among the covariates were education, intelligence, and socioeconomic status, all of which are positively associated with alcohol consumption and the study outcomes.
Additionally, all of the participants live in San Diego which, weather-wise, is sort of like living in ancient Greece and that's got to be conducive to a more cheery disposition, irrespective of geriatric tippling.
Old 04-18-19, 09:32 AM
McBTC

I don't think anyone is trying to justify getting inebriated. Maybe the science about the benefits is questionable for various legitimate reasons although it seems to be arguable that a moderate consumption of alcohol -- at least when you are older -- may actually be good for some if not most folks; however, I think even in ancient times, going back to when Jesus was said to have turned water into wine, drunkenness has been roundly looked down on by most everyone for many good reasons having nothing to do with the health and wellbeing of the individual...
Old 04-18-19, 09:55 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

The above study referred to above is behind a paywall but, the abstract about CHL (cognitively healthy longevity), is interesting in as much as it addressed frequency (such as daily) as well as the amount that may be considered, moderate...
I like that term, as well as the concept of cognitively healthy longevity, worthy of its own initialism.

I have posted previously about my approach to CHL, in my anticipated retirement:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Retirement

I’m a few years away from retirement, but it is starting to loom large…My cycling lifestyle is important to me and retirement vis-ΰ-vis cycling poses a dilemma:
I previously replied to this thread on the Commuting Forum, "How to motivate myself to ride when I'll no longer be commuting to work?"...

Just yesterday a colleague asked me when I was going to retire. I suggested a number of years, adding, "I like my job, and it’s a convenient place (and distance) to bike to."
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I like that.
...my comiseration to those with health problems (IMO cycling can be an effective preventive maintainence).
Old 04-18-19, 12:45 PM
McBTC

True, true if senior cycling and a few glasses of port are conducive to CHL, I say, CHEERS!
Old 04-19-19, 07:53 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 3,080 Times in 1,631 Posts
Meh, port is much too sweet for me. Give me a glass of Cabernet and I'm set!
Old 04-19-19, 09:20 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Back in the day, my brother and I did a 140 mile ride. Having a beer at the lunch stop seemed like a good idea at the time...WRONG....The next couple of climbs were awful.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-19-19, 01:33 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Back in the day, my brother and I did a 140 mile ride. Having a beer at the lunch stop seemed like a good idea at the time...WRONG....The next couple of climbs were awful.
Us moderns apparently are 'moderate' drinkers compared to the founding fathers. In those days they would've put down 3 beers by noon and continued to drink 'til bedtime-- 'gotta guess they'd be considered 'heavy' drinkers by today's standards. Seemingly had good CHL. Tobacco existed back then but not cigarettes and no acetaminophen. According to the web... the variety of hemp grown back than would've had negligible THC.
Old 04-20-19, 05:36 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Steps to a Healthier Brain

https://synapse.org.au/information-s...act-sheet.aspx

This is a list of headings (the article goes into details):
  • Exercise and challenge your brain
  • Nourish your brain with a healthy diet
  • Enjoy physical activity
  • Make "safety first" a priority
  • Manage anxiety, stress & depression
  • Relax and sleep well
  • Check your blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol.
  • Avoid alcohol & other drugs if possible
Old 04-20-19, 05:48 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Jesus drank wine, but he only lived to be 33. I guess he should have cycled more.
Old 04-20-19, 08:23 AM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Jesus drank wine, but he only lived to be 33. I guess he should have cycled more.
Yeah, sure, but... came back to life, right? Helluva demonstration of good health!
Old 04-20-19, 08:29 AM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Machka
Steps to a Healthier Brain

https://synapse.org.au/information-s...act-sheet.aspx

This is a list of headings (the article goes into details):
  • Exercise and challenge your brain
  • Nourish your brain with a healthy diet
  • Enjoy physical activity
  • Make "safety first" a priority
  • Manage anxiety, stress & depression
  • Relax and sleep well
  • Check your blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol.
  • Avoid alcohol & other drugs if possible
After Brain Injury? Seems that's a bit of a different topic. No one needs to justify abstinence if that's what makes sense to them--
Old 04-21-19, 08:32 PM
McBTC

Here's a skeptical view of the latest research linking moderate alcohol consumption with increased longevity...

Truth? This study shows that people who live longer can handle alcohol…because they are healthier in general.
https://blog.bulletproof.com/limitat...ngevity-study/

If its all in the cards and they lived longer than most irrespective of 'bad habits,' just because they were healthy but, who's to say adopting good habits will enable less healthy people live any longer... if it's not in the cards?
Old 04-21-19, 08:52 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Yeah, sure, but... came back to life, right? Helluva demonstration of good health!
Lots of people came back to life after being dead according to the writers of the bible. No link to drinking is noted.
Old 04-22-19, 09:45 AM
McBTC

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Lots of people came back to life after being dead according to the writers of the bible. No link to drinking is noted.
True, true, Ecclesiastes may have missed a great marketing opportunity when he limited his praise to nothing better than recommending that we, "eat and drink and be merry."
Old 04-22-19, 09:59 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I never understood thew whole "beer after a ride" thing. Just seems so backwards to me.
Old 04-22-19, 12:36 PM
slowrevs

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pick Your Words, Science, Studies or Scientists Carefully

The practice of controlling science news has long been attempted and practiced by those negatively affected by truth. Most often, they are entrenched religious, political or economic interests. And the practice goes back to times when the Earth was the Center of the Universe. Probably before. Recent examples are: Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq; Smoking Does not Cause Lung Cancer; Moderate Drinking Has Positive Health Consequences.

I don't think anyone is trying to justify getting inebriated. Maybe the science about the benefits is questionable for various legitimate reasons although it seems to be arguable that a moderate consumption of alcohol -- at least when you are older -- may actually be good for some if not most folks;
A thread opening with an apples and oranges comparison question, then proposing that moderate drinking increases ones life span, and citing a "scientific study" to that effect, tells me someone is telling people that getting inebriated is okay, and actually good for you. Such a proposition actively promotes drinking by those who might believe drinking isn't good for them, or by young people who don't know any better. Such a proposition as yours does not promote light drinking, minimal drinking or not drinking.

According to the U.S. NIH, "Moderate Drinking" is not globally well defined ( https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicati...pdf?q=moderate ) due to differences about what constitutes a "standard drink." Simply, it is 4 - 14 (standard) drinks per week. If you drink them in one sitting, you will become inebriated.

however, I think even in ancient times, going back to when Jesus was said to have turned water into wine, drunkenness has been roundly looked down on by most everyone for many good reasons having nothing to do with the health and well being of the individual...
Au contraire!

Drunkenness is regularly glorified as emotionally freeing and fun, a way to forget one's troubles, get pregnant and catch a husband, etc. Movies and TVs often show drunk people having fun together, having sex as a result of getting drunk, all kinds of "benefits," etc. Films like "The Lost Weekend" are not regularly released. Al Bundy never attended an AA meeting.

The only aspect of drunkenness roundly criticized throughout history is that of "excessive drunkenness" or "perpetual drunkenness."

Sorry, but from where I sit, your posts to this thread seem only to have had one purpose, i.e., to promote "Moderate Drinking."

Forgive those of us who disagree with you and your proposition for turning the science and Truth of the matter against you.
Likes For slowrevs:
Old 04-22-19, 12:42 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
"If really heavy drinking causes blindness, can I just do it until I need glasses?"
Old 04-22-19, 10:15 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by slowrevs

Pick Your Words, Science, Studies or Scientists Carefully...
True, true...

Alcohol: Weighing risks and potential benefits

Moderate alcohol use has possible health benefits, but it's not risk-free.

~Mayo Clinic
Old 04-22-19, 10:46 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,634 Times in 4,050 Posts
Originally Posted by luevelvet
I never understood thew whole "beer after a ride" thing. Just seems so backwards to me.
I guess a beer before the ride is OK too.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-23-19, 07:20 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I guess a beer before the ride is OK too.

Even worse if you ask me! lol
Old 04-23-19, 10:52 AM
slowrevs

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Discouraging dangerous behavior can be bad for business...

True, true...

Alcohol: Weighing risks and potential benefits

Moderate alcohol use has possible health benefits, but it's not risk-free.

~Mayo Clinic
Unfortunately, the Mayo Clinic has a vested interest in people drinking.

Like all large bureaucracies, their attitude is not to rock the boat too hard if
a profit can be had by not rocking it at all.

https://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/l...untain-centers

Fountain Centers

Fountain Centers has been committed to helping individuals and their families who have alcohol and other drug problems since 1974. We take pride in addressing the whole person including underlying mental health and medical issues. Today, all of our residential and extended care patients have access to the latest medical resources for their addiction and co-morbid mental health symptoms.

Core components of our treatment programs draw from motivational enhancement and cognitive behavioral traditions, with an emphasis on teaching relapse prevention skills. We promote and integrate the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous into our therapy services. All treatment plans are individualized, ensuring that each person's unique needs are met to promote healing and recovery. Dignity and respect are foundational values that guide our work with patients.

etc.
Old 04-24-19, 10:22 AM
McBTC

At one time or another, both science and popular thinking supported beliefs that eating foods like coffee, eggs, milk/butter/cheese/saturated fats, white bread, salt/sugar/fructose, tuna, charred and preserved meats... all are bad for you.

Science is often misused and erroneous findings are commonplace. Still, popular 'knowledge' is hardly free of bias and ignorance. Sometimes, a little common sense is about as close as we get to making intelligent choices and this gives a lot of credence to the old saw... everything in moderation.

When it comes to moderation, for food it's looking at not overdoing it. But, when it comes to exercise its getting at least a minimum amount of it-- e.g., at least 30 minutes of vigorous exercise at least 5-days /wk.

Probably the best advice is don't eat or drink too much or you'll get fat and for what is eaten, all things in moderation is key -- counting on the benefits to balance-out the negatives -- so long as you're getting the minimum amount of exercise.

All said, however, heart disease is still the leading cause of death (one-in-four). Not smoking , eating well but not eating too much and some exercise on a regular basis will help to prevent heart disease and so too may well be the consumption of alcohol.
Old 04-24-19, 06:11 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Yes
Old 04-26-19, 07:08 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by luevelvet
One of my favorite rides starts/finishes at a shop that also has beer, some of us hang out after and have a couple of beers. Nothing backwards at all, you've got camaraderie and carbs, perfect post ride recovery.
Likes For Rides4Beer:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.