Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Good Enough For Me

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Good Enough For Me

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 06:54 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Mine has made me the hero of the Sunday morning squirrel packs! They look at my underdeveloped calves in wonder and shake their tiny heads.
Humor...more humor and less vitriol. You win.
Old 04-12-19, 07:00 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Because I want it and can afford it.

People who will never work in a commercial kitchen use use Calphalon cookware and J.A. Henckles knives.

My neighbor will never drive his Audi R8 as fast as it can go but he is free to own it.

People are free to buy whatever they want for as much money as the feel they can afford. If someone wants to buy a pro tour bike to ride around the subdivision then that's nobody's business but their own. I don't have to justify my purchases to anyone, nor does anyone have to justify their purchases to me.

-Tim-
Agree with you 100%

My bikes make me smile...that’s good enough for me.
Old 04-12-19, 07:46 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yeah. Instead of something on the higher end I opted for a custom-designed, hand-crafted, ti frame built by a local artisan and LBS owner who twice won best MTB at NAHBS.
But it doesn't even say Specialized on it.
Old 04-12-19, 07:54 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Agree with you 100%

My bikes make me smile...that’s good enough for me.
As with me, bikes and wheel sets, shoes, helmets have a weak spot that make me all fuzzy..!
Old 04-12-19, 08:16 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,148 Times in 1,657 Posts
I stick with mid grade stuff, but that's b/c I can't afford it, or rather don't want to... I have a wedding, then family and home ownership to save for! Gotta build up that nest. Having said that if I was rich I'd probably buy nicer stuff.

But I'm also a fit, somewhat-elite amateur racer. There have been times when I got to ride/race on top end stuff for a whole season for free (to me). It feels nice for a few rides but then the novelty wears off. Also it doesn't make a difference and I've inevitably ended up either giving it back to the team/sponsors or buying it for cheap and re-selling it.
Old 04-12-19, 08:28 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul
As with me, bikes and wheel sets, shoes, helmets have a weak spot that make me all fuzzy..!
@trekmogul!!!

How you been, man?
Old 04-12-19, 08:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
But it doesn't even say Specialized on it.
That's why it's not high end.
Old 04-12-19, 11:49 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Similar to TMonk. I've ridden/raced long enough that I have a pretty good handle on what's worth spending money to get top of the line stuff and where it really makes no difference at all.
Old 04-12-19, 12:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I enjoy riding a nice bike. I can't push it as fast as some, but I sure benefit from the handling coming down the mountain through hairpin turns. I bought my bike first and foremost because it handles the way I think a bike should.
Old 04-12-19, 01:31 PM
Mr_Crankypants

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I've ridden/raced long enough that I have a pretty good handle on what's worth spending money to get top of the line stuff and where it really makes no difference at all.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on where it matters and where it makes no difference. I'm constantly engaged in a mental struggle over whether to upgrade my bike (TCR Advanced) or run it into the ground while saving for a new bike that would be a major step up. Just the other day a riding buddy casually commented that I "should probably consider swapping out that 105 for Ultegra." My gut feeling is that the improvement would not be worth the money and that I'm better off sucking it up and training better.
Old 04-12-19, 03:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Crankypants
I'd love to hear your thoughts on where it matters and where it makes no difference. I'm constantly engaged in a mental struggle over whether to upgrade my bike (TCR Advanced) or run it into the ground while saving for a new bike that would be a major step up. Just the other day a riding buddy casually commented that I "should probably consider swapping out that 105 for Ultegra." My gut feeling is that the improvement would not be worth the money and that I'm better off sucking it up and training better.
Anything that's a consumable for sure. I like Ultegra, but I don't hesitate to get 105 for cassettes and chains. I like Michelin Pro4's but I don't hesitate to get Lithions for training/commuting tires. Even with wheels: I love my Williams 58s for race day but my everyday wheels are RS-11, which is an entry-level Shimano wheelset.

What I don't hesitate to spend on is any contact point: S-Works shoes, Castelli bibs with the good pad; Fizik tape.
Old 04-12-19, 03:00 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

@trekmogul!!!

How you been, man?
Quite well thank you. Just back from 5 1/2 months of fun in the sun on the emerald island of Sri Lanka.. Lots of bike riding in some very hot and muggy weather.
Old 04-12-19, 03:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul
Quite well thank you. Just back from 5 1/2 months of fun in the sun on the emerald island of Sri Lanka.. Lots of bike riding in some very hot and muggy weather.
This is good to hear and I hope you and the people of Sri Lanka are at peace.

-PAX-
Old 04-12-19, 04:37 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
"There have been times when I got to ride/race on top end stuff for a whole season for free (to me). It feels nice for a few rides but then the novelty wears off. Also it doesn't make a difference and I've inevitably ended up either giving it back to the team/sponsors or buying it for cheap and re-selling it. "

When I raced the guys on the team did this every season. We all knew the parts hanging on the frame didn't make us faster or more competitive, especially in crit racing where speeds are up and down all the time. We'd use it, give feedback, sell it on Monday at the shop, but at the end of the season the parts were gone. Wheels are a different story. They do make a noticeable difference.

No question I am a good enough for me person.
Old 04-12-19, 10:00 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Twice I've been admonished that your first post was in relation to racing. When you say "not buy another bike with Dura Ace" does that mean racing or recreational?

If recreational then I'm still not understanding how my comments are excluded.

Assumption

-Tim-
I can’t help you.
Old 04-12-19, 10:32 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
It isn't complicated.
If you view a bike as simply a tool to do the job, whether it be racing, commuting, fitness etc the parameters a quite different to someone that sees their bike as more than that.
It may be they enjoy the technology, exclusiveness, looks, poseur value etc etc.
Old 04-13-19, 10:36 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,148 Times in 1,657 Posts
^
I think that about sums it up. Also for those insecure in the latter camp: It's OK to be a roadie. There's a little roadie in all of us!

Last edited by TMonk; 04-13-19 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-14-19, 06:34 PM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get it. A Casio Ironman will keep better time than a nice watch with a mechanical swiss movement, but what would you rather have? However, sometimes the Ironman is just the ticket.
Old 04-15-19, 11:31 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Because I want it and can afford it.

People who will never work in a commercial kitchen use use Calphalon cookware and J.A. Henckles knives.

My neighbor will never drive his Audi R8 as fast as it can go but he is free to own it.

People are free to buy whatever they want for as much money as the feel they can afford. If someone wants to buy a pro tour bike to ride around the subdivision then that's nobody's business but their own. I don't have to justify my purchases to anyone, nor does anyone have to justify their purchases to me.

-Tim-
I hope you are not suggesting that Calphalon and Henckels are high-end, because they are not. Those brands are just okay.

Otherwise I agree with everything you wrote. I don't really care what anyone (besides my spouse) thinks about my spending, and I don't care about anyone else's spending. Heck, most people think you're crazy if you spend more than $1000 on a bike.
Old 04-15-19, 11:59 AM
Mr_Crankypants

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If bike and component manufacturers were only selling their high-end stuff to cyclists whose performance made them "worthy" of it, they wouldn't make enough money to stay in business. So the rest of us tell ourselves that if only we had X (higher level group set, lighter weight frame, more aero cockpit), we'd be Y% faster. Until we acquire it, and then it's on to lusting after the next thing we don't (yet) have. And on it goes, because the dopamine hit from getting the shiny new thing wears off pretty quickly. I'm no more immune to this than anyone else. That said, I do aspire to be a "good enough for me" type, because I know the performance gains will be minimal and the pleasure of the new toy fleeting. But I still find myself thinking "if only I had..."
Old 04-15-19, 11:34 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yeah. Instead of something on the higher end I opted for a custom-designed, hand-crafted, ti frame built by a local artisan and LBS owner who twice won best MTB at NAHBS.
That's ok if you don't like high end bikes. They are not for everyone. I just purchased a matching pair of the 2020 Rouibaix for my girlfriend and I. They should ride great! We are still waiting on delivery here in Santa Barbara, but I will give a ride report. If we have the opportunity. Maybe we will see you on the road, friend!
Old 04-16-19, 05:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
That's ok if you don't like high end bikes. They are not for everyone.
I know it's not a Specialzed, but if you don;t think my bike is high end than we have differing understandings of that term.
Old 04-16-19, 07:08 AM
trekmogul 

way 2 many bikes

There should be no reason what so ever to buy 6 Trek Emonda SLR8's ..? Still have 2 in unopened sealed Trek Factory Boxes . This was the last year Trek made these in Wisconsin and from this point on have cheapened them up to keep the price down..
Old 04-22-19, 10:50 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
For me, if money was no object, I’d be retired, I’d have a camper van for four, and a trailer with the following bikes: 1) road, 2) gravel, 3) mountain, and 4) touring. Then I’d spend the majority of the year in fondos and other events throughout the US and Europe. As it is, I’m not yet retired, and I have only one (1) aluminum/carbon-fork bike. It meets my needs and I am riding the heck out of it. Should I lose it (crash, theft, other) my wife is ok with me getting another one immediately, but I think I’ll stick within the $2k-3k bracket.

I get to see some high end bikes sometimes when I am out on rides and that’s cool as I get a chance to see them whereas otherwise I never would.

I used to get a little worked up at people spending high on gear as that drives the price (if no one buys TLGP5000 @ $75 per tire Conti will have no choice but to lower the price for example), but as I get older I realize it’s all relative and things usually even out. People out riding is a win the way I see it. I’m all for whatever encourage people to ride.