Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bianchi Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 12:00 AM
Sjtaylor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 20 Posts
Bianchi Road Bike

I just acquired a Bianchi road bike. I can’t decipher the serial number to get the year but from research I think it’s maybe a 1996 or so. The bike is celeste in color and has a Campoine d Italia decal. It looks like old/new stock with no wear from riding, just patina from knocking around in storage and maybe a short ride or two. The grease is gummed up from age so I removed components for a complete cleaning. I don’t have the right bottom bracket wrench so it’s off to a shop that has a wrench.

Everything seems original, campagnolo and as new but I have a couple questions. The rear derailleur, and crank are Mirage with a triple chain ring. The front derailleur is Shimano 105. The chain was unbroken so I’m wondering if the Shimano 105 was original. The eight speed cassette is a 12-23. I’ve read there are no options get a cassette with a larger spread. Are there cassette options?

I realize this bike is a lower end Bianchi and probably not too valuable. My plan is to clean, reassemble and ride it but I would like to learn what I can about it and what it might be worth. Thanks for any comments or info you might have.
Old 04-12-19, 12:15 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Sjtaylor
I realize this bike is a lower end Bianchi and probably not too valuable. My plan is to clean, reassemble and ride it
A noble plan for a perfectly fine Bianchi.

would like to learn what I can about it and what it might be worth.
The "worth" question should be posted separately in the neighboring valuation forum.
Old 04-12-19, 04:12 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
The FD is likely not stock. Pics?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-12-19, 04:47 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
...I would like to learn what I can about it and what it might be worth.
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.
Old 04-12-19, 07:00 AM
Sjtaylor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 20 Posts
Everything on this bike including the cable housings are labeled Campy or Bianchi so the front derailleur looks out of place. I can’t post photos yet because I’m too new. I’m going to the nearest Bianchi shop where I hope to learn more while they service the bottom bracket or maybe I can talk them out of a bottom bracket wrench.

I don’t need another bicycle but something made me buy it and now I’m enjoying researching Bianchi. Thanks.
Old 04-12-19, 09:08 AM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
MSRP on that bike when new was about $1,000. Park tool sells a wrench for the Mirage bottom bracket. They are available on eBay. My 1995 Bianchi CdI is from butted lugged cromo tubes and a decent ride, a pretty good mid-range machine. Probably worth about $500.
Old 04-12-19, 02:43 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
The eight speed cassette is a 12-23. I’ve read there are no options get a cassette with a larger spread. Are there cassette options?

SRAM 's PG850 comes in a 12-26t, so that might be enough range, if you've got a Shimano hub?

Otherwise, you should be able to take a 9-speed Campy cassette and create an 8-speed 12-28t or 13-28t cassette, using the 8-speed cassette spacers from your old cassette. Others can confirm the specifics of this, but IIRC the cassette spacing difference for 8-speed Campy vs Shimano is negligible, so you shouldn't have any shifting problems.
Old 04-12-19, 05:14 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Everything on this bike including the cable housings are labeled Campy or Bianchi so the front derailleur looks out of place. I can’t post photos yet because I’m too new. I’m going to the nearest Bianchi shop where I hope to learn more while they service the bottom bracket or maybe I can talk them out of a bottom bracket wrench.

I don’t need another bicycle but something made me buy it and now I’m enjoying researching Bianchi. Thanks.
You've got enough posts now, so "pics or it didn't happen", especially when you say "everything is Campy or Bianchi".