Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

First Time Tour Bike Buying Advice

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 04-12-19, 06:00 PM
C. Law
First Time Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

I am riding Anchroage to San Diego this summer. It is my first time (besides the small tours I'm doing this summer to prepare) and I need advice on the bike. I've been to all the LBSs and spent many an hour at REI, and I still pretty lost.

It needs to have the ability to ride a bit of gravel up north, but at least 2/3 of the trip is paved. I would love to have a steel frame and three front gears. I will be riding with back panniers and camping gear, as I plan to camp most of the way.

I've ridden the Salsas that are recommended for this kind of trip (Vaya, Journeyman, and Marrakesh). I liked the steel frame of the Marrakesh, but the aluminum rear rack worried me for such a long trip. I was reassured that they made it extra strong to compensate. It was the only of the three Salsas I rode that has three front gears and is steel. The other two were great bikes but aluminum frames and only two front gears. I've been told that maybe I won't have high enough gears for a long downhill on the California coast, for example, which is why I am aiming for three front gears.

I'd really love not to go too far over 1,500. I know that limits things a lot.

I also rode the REI ADV 3.1 and really like the way it felt. The 3.1 provided just that little bit of extra size that made it feel more relaxed and spacious.

There was a really nice 2018 Salsa Marrakesh on major sale at REI, but something about it felt a little small, even though it was the right fit for me. Am I a fool for not buying the 2018 Marrakesh for only 1048? Even with the aluminum rear rack? It was a 52 (which is my size) but felt small. Is that just the Salsa geometry? A little more aggressive?

I haven't ridden any Cannondales? I haven't ridden the classic Surly Trucker or Trek 520. Will those handle on gravel with the right hybrid tires? I was suggested the All City Gorilla Monsoon, but certainly can't afford that. Finding the right used bike seems almost impossible!

If anyone has any other suggestions in my price range that I should try out, that would be great! Like I said, I'm still lost. There seem to be so many options and nothing is jumping out as perfect!

Thanks!
Old 04-12-19, 06:09 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Me, for that trip, I'd hunt down an old quality 90's MTB and put a set of Surly troll front forks on it to get lowrider mounts. Then use the change for beer. Well actually for some nice Tubus racks, a set of ,either Jones or Velo Crazy bars and some nice panniers. Some Schwalbe Mondials in a 2.12x26 and you're pretty well bullet proof. If you feel you need to tweak the gearing grab a set of these with an octalink BB https://www.bike-components.de/en/Sh...-Guard-p40182/ and whack a 36 rear cassette on it. Plus you have the joy of riding a bike with character, strength and 36 hole wheels.
Old 04-12-19, 07:08 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm loving my new Marrakesh.

You should also look at the Kona Sutra. It's a great bike as well. Steel, lots of gear, comes with good rack and fenders. Great value.
Old 04-13-19, 02:24 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
The advice I would give, since you spent time at REI is; make sure the warranty on the bike is valid in Canada since you will be spending so much time there.
Other than that, fit and comfort should be your top priorities.
Better to have a cheap bike you can ride for hours than an expensive bike that is uncomfortable after a few.
Old 04-13-19, 03:20 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 171 Posts
You seem to have put a lot of emphasis on rack material. More than I would from my touring experiences. I've replaced two racks in lots of miles, but neither were catastrophic failures or things I could not jury rig if necessary. Perhaps the most severe was some (steel) mounting brackets on a Surley front rack that went after repeated vibrations cycling Siberia. However, I was able to jury rig things. Surley sent new brackets free of charge after the trip and subsequently also redesigned the mounting.

Racks are components that can be swapped. Either prior to the trip or even with express shipping if you had to for much of your route.

Gears can also be swapped, though going from two to three chain rings is more difficult. What I would look for here is at least as much the *range* of gears. You can do this be calculating the "gear inches" or equivalent wheel diameter (front gears / rear gears * diameter - or use calculation sites you may find on the web like this one: https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_inches).

I like having three chain rings because it typically means I get a small gear up front giving me a good lower range when coupled with the larger gears in the rear. If your concern is being able to pedal fast down large hills - then you'll want to look at the opposite end of the range - large gears up front together with small gears in the rear.
Old 04-13-19, 05:44 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Have you looked at a Surly Long Haul Trucker? Mine is 26" wheels and outfitted with Velo Orange Crazy Bars. It has gone across the US,Canada and Europe.
They often show up for sale on different websites.
Old 04-13-19, 07:59 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by C. Law
....and only two front gears. I've been told that maybe I won't have high enough gears for a long downhill on the California coast, for example, which is why I am aiming for three front gears...
assume the salesman told you that? if you'll be on a loaded touring bike in the hills, you should be more concerned about the low gears. if it's a choice between coasting down a hill or pushing a heavy bike up.....well.....
Old 04-13-19, 09:00 AM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by C. Law
I've been told that maybe I won't have high enough gears for a long downhill on the California coast, for example, which is why I am aiming for three front gears.
I missed this comment on the first read. Saddlesores is correct. you should be worried about low gearing, not high. You won't be sprinting to a finish line, you'll be grinding up hills.

Check out Bicycle Gear Calculator and plug in your potential bike gearing options. You'll want to be sure there is something in the 15-18 gear inch range. I'd rather coast downhill than walk up.
Old 04-13-19, 10:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
+2 on the high-low thing. My first two years of touring encompassed about 10,000 miles on a Cannondale with mountain bike gearing, including many miles in the Cascades, Rockies and various Sierra of Andalucia. Never once was I sorry that I didn't have higher gearing. Always was I grateful for the low end.
Old 04-14-19, 04:58 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
1. You may want to spend a few $ to get a copy of Cycling About's buying guide.
2. As is the case for essentially any sport, or any activity for that matter:
  • do not buy "cheap" (say, $400). You'll regret.
  • do not buy top-of-the-line. You'll regret.
  • you'll know more about what you want once you're no longer a beginner.
3. If you can, invest time (and maybe money) to research "contact points": the saddle, the handlebars/grips, the pedals,

4. wrt racks, as mentioned above, failure would be surprising. Loosing a fastener is much more likely -- use loctite blue (part can be removed) and carry spare fasteners.
Old 04-14-19, 08:30 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
For long distances over gravel you might want a frame that allows wide tires. 26"/559mm-wheel Trucker allows at least 2"/50mm-wide tires & fenders. Not so many used ones on eBay though. You could buy a new frameset & build up for under $1,500.

Old MTB frame is another good idea, many have all the rack/fender eyelets & a nice smooth ride.

IMO 3X9 drivetrain is desirable for touring since 9-speed road & MTB/trekking components are generally compatible unlike 10-speed.
Old 04-14-19, 09:45 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
I looked at the Marrakesh Spec. I also looked at the Surly long haul trucker Spec. The Marrakesh will take 40c tires with fenders and you can put 180mm rotors on it. The 26" wheeled Surly long Haul Trucker will allow 2" wide tires with fenders. You can only run 160 rotors on the Surly. I believe Surly still sells the non disk version of the Trucker for less also. Either of these bicycles would be a large improvement over what I started with. The add pictures for both bicycles show the bicycles set up for more of a racing bicycle position. I am talking about the handle bar height. Having the handle bars 3" to 5" lower than the seat would not be very comfortable. Having the handle bar and seat close to the same height or the handle bar a little higher than the seat is better for touring in my opinion. There are plenty of bicycles on the market in your price range. Obviously you need to find the ones you can try out and make sure the bicycle is setup correctly and fits you. Good Luck with this part of the journey.
Old 04-15-19, 05:56 AM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
For your size frame I think you might find that the LHT with 26" wheels might handle better and have less problems with toe overlap and wheel flop than the Marrakesh. Toe overlap is a pain at low speed and wheel flop affects higher speeds such as hill descents.
The most important thing is the the bike is the right size and you are comfortable on the bike. For position help have a look at the FAQ's at www.stevehoggbikefitting.com
Touring bikes are about low gears and the sales guy sounds like he doesn't have a clue. If you want to be able to compare different setups then use a gear inch calculator such as BikeCalc.com - Bicycle Gear Inches Chart
For touring I'd be aiming for between 18" to 21". On your budget a 3x9 setup will be fine. You can have just as wider range with a 2x11 but not for your budget.
Aluminium racks will break long before a steel Tubus rack will but so long as you don't try to take the kitchen sink, you should be fine on a short tour like you have planned.
Old 04-15-19, 06:45 AM
daveit1024

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am planning a bike tour starting in August, and I have been considering purchasing the Surley Bridge Club. I do plan to ride some gravel roads, and trails and the Bridge Club is advertised for both road and gravel touring.
Old 04-15-19, 07:59 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by daveit1024
I do plan to ride some gravel roads, and trails and the Bridge Club is advertised for both road and gravel touring.
The LHT can do that too, in case you like drop bars better. If "some" is a minority, I would stick with something more geared for the road but also suitable for off road riding.
Old 04-15-19, 08:13 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The LHT can do that too, in case you like drop bars better. If "some" is a minority, I would stick with something more geared for the road but also suitable for off road riding.
perfectly good point, despite that the Bridge Club would make a perfectly good tough tourer with wider tires and with a really good gear range , albeit a little short on the top end, but thats what you get with a double, although the 36/24 and 11-40 does make a really good mix that will work perfectly fine for touring speeds.

It is a mtb handlebar bike, but its tricky here isnt it? as the person asking hasnt done any touring, and if they do this trip, they will have to carry more stuff than a regular warm summer trip, deal with bugs, real wildlife issues, and very possibly mud issues that some of you have real experience with (ie, busted rear derailleurs).

oh C. Law, I second also the comment to ignore a store employee who tells you that you need higher gearing. If you can pedal to 25mph you are set to go, and you will want all the low gearing you can get with a trip like this.
I have only ridden the west coast of Oregon and Ca. but even this section has some steep bits, you will need and want a bike with good low gearing.

** on this note, do remember that the new LHT has higher gearing than before, they now use a 50/39/30 road crankset as opposed to the 48/36/26 that has been always used.
Old 04-15-19, 08:21 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
...the new LHT has higher gearing than before, they now use a 50/39/30 road crankset as opposed to the 48/36/26 that has been always used.
Very difficult to understand why Surly would make that decision. I could maybe see doing this with a sportier bike, but the LHT is not that. People buy it for loaded touring, and 50/39/30 is bizarre for loaded touring unless you live in Florida or the Bonneville Salt Flats.
Old 04-15-19, 08:28 AM
Cycle Tourist

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
Touring

Originally Posted by cobalt123
I missed this comment on the first read. Saddlesores is correct. you should be worried about low gearing, not high. You won't be sprinting to a finish line, you'll be grinding up hills.

Check out Bicycle Gear Calculator and plug in your potential bike gearing options. You'll want to be sure there is something in the 15-18 gear inch range. I'd rather coast downhill than walk up.
I agree that a triple will give you the essentials. Make sure your gearing is low enough first and foremost. Maybe even lower than you'll ever need. With a triple you can get some reasonably high gears too. I love roaring down slight downgrades or long flats with a tailwind. You CAN have both.
The LHT are popular but be comfortable whatever you choose. My first touring bike was a straight gauge Japanese entry level touring bike that fit me perfectly. The entire gearing needed to be changed to a nice granny with half steps with barends. It had no typical braise-ons but never gave me a minutes trouble. It would not have accommodated the tires I think you'll need so a 700mm wheel will be useful for you.
Racks shouldn't be an issue unless your going off road. Get something wide enough to keep everything away from your spokes and low riders are a must. They're more likely to keep you upright especially on dirt roads.
Sounds like you're buying a bike for the trip. Be sure to ride it fully loaded to feel how it handles loaded. There's nothing like unpacking the plane and gearing up your nice new Trek 720 only to find it's way more flexible than the straight gauge frame you were used to when your many miles from home.
Old 04-15-19, 08:38 AM
Cycle Tourist

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
perfectly good point, despite that the Bridge Club would make a perfectly good tough tourer with wider tires and with a really good gear range , albeit a little short on the top end, but thats what you get with a double, although the 36/24 and 11-40 does make a really good mix that will work perfectly fine for touring speeds.

It is a mtb handlebar bike, but its tricky here isnt it? as the person asking hasnt done any touring, and if they do this trip, they will have to carry more stuff than a regular warm summer trip, deal with bugs, real wildlife issues, and very possibly mud issues that some of you have real experience with (ie, busted rear derailleurs).

oh C. Law, I second also the comment to ignore a store employee who tells you that you need higher gearing. If you can pedal to 25mph you are set to go, and you will want all the low gearing you can get with a trip like this.
I have only ridden the west coast of Oregon and Ca. but even this section has some steep bits, you will need and want a bike with good low gearing.

** on this note, do remember that the new LHT has higher gearing than before, they now use a 50/39/30 road crankset as opposed to the 48/36/26 that has been always used.
For me, I'd change the 26 to a 24.
Old 04-15-19, 09:13 AM
indyfabz

With a 30 in the back I'd go with a 22. My 2011 LHT came with a 34. I already went from a 26 to a 24 a couple of years ago.
Old 04-15-19, 09:21 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Very difficult to understand why Surly would make that decision. I could maybe see doing this with a sportier bike, but the LHT is not that. People buy it for loaded touring, and 50/39/30 is bizarre for loaded touring unless you live in Florida or the Bonneville Salt Flats.
I am fairly certain the LHT went to 10 speed a few years back, others can correct me on that.
So while the cynic in me says its about cost, given that the Troll has been coming with 10 speed Deore 48/39/26 and 11-36 since 2017, it could be simply that someone decided to keep it 9 speed, and now the 9 speed Deore stuff isnt widely available, not in numbers they need to be assured of.

the look of that sora crankset PROBABLY means you can change the rings easily, if the bcd is right, but honestly, as someone who has skinny legs, I know from experience that a 39 mid ring and 30 granny is simply too tall for loaded touring.
This is why the 48/36/26 has been such a standard for so long.

in the end, I dont have the answer, just thoughts on the "why"

I would hope they go back to the 10 spd deore trekking setup, for riders sake who know nothing of gearing and touring on a heavy bike in hills.
Old 04-15-19, 10:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Years ago 2 young guys from Sweden came through town , riding on 8 speed Shimano Nexus IGH

step through commuter bikes with 700c -42 tires .. they had started in Anchorage
and after reaching So Cal , were to turn left , and ride across the southern tier , and fly home from Florida..

yea abundance of choices is confusing..

Trek's 520 & 920 now come standard, with front & rear racks..

Lots of component pick changes at a factory build level are a result of
the component source companies only shipping what they are making at this time..

Once its your bike feel free to change things .. perhaps your dealer can resell what you don't want

so will trade in your new parts and sell you what you prefer, install it and so forth. ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-15-19 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-16-19, 10:49 AM
Cyclist_987

Bikes: 2005 Trek 520, a few old cannondales, and my 98 720 multitrack "gravel bike"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a trek 520 for on road touring with 32mm tires. Great choice. You can find one (2000 and newer) for around $400.

If I was to buy a new bike, I would just get a long haul trucker with 26" wheels.
Old 04-17-19, 03:30 PM
C. Law
First Time Tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Me, for that trip, I'd hunt down an old quality 90's MTB and put a set of Surly troll front forks on it to get lowrider mounts. Then use the change for beer. Well actually for some nice Tubus racks, a set of ,either Jones or Velo Crazy bars and some nice panniers. Some Schwalbe Mondials in a 2.12x26 and you're pretty well bulletproof. If you feel you need to tweak the gearing grab a set of these with an octalink BB ... and whack a 36 rear cassette on it. Plus you have the joy of riding a bike with character, strength and 36 hole wheels.
I'd love to go this route, but I'm not sure where to start with 90s MTBs, especially since I feel like most won't have disc brakes. I know the rim/disc brake debate is never-ending, but disc brakes sound positive to me in terms of braking on long descents, reliability in weather, and repair.

If you have any thoughts on where to start with MTB, I'd love the advice!
Old 04-17-19, 03:32 PM
C. Law
First Time Tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll look into the Kona Sutra! Thanks! I really liked the feel of the Marrakesh, it just felt slightly too small. If I could find another one on discount, I would go for it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.