Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mohave or Mojave?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Mohave or Mojave?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 04:00 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Mohave or Mojave?

Either way, I pretty much own it now, lol. 😁😉 Been as far North as Christmas Tree Pass, and as far West as Needles and/or something like it. They've been making me smoke that kosher dawg, too, so I get lost a lot. 🤪😎😁
Old 04-14-19, 04:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
It is the name of an Indian tribe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohave_people

The name would have been translated into both English and Spanish.

I don't see any notes of the tribe using a written language. The Cherokee Indians developed a written language rather late.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_syllabary

Also notes of Mayans and Incas having some sort of recording, although different, and much of the history was lost.

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountryto...kmg_ImKwfVLKg/
Old 04-14-19, 06:10 PM
GAJett

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2010 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, 2010's Bike Friday Pocket Companion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
It is the name of an Indian tribe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohave_people

The name would have been translated into both English and Spanish.
The cited wiki does not seem to settle on the "correct" spelling. It repeatedly switches from one to the other. Anglicized is "Mohave", as exclusively used by A.L. Kroeber in his 1925 Handbook of the Indians of California and by George Devereux's extensive ethnographic works from 1935 to 1948 (cited in the wiki).

Of pertinence might be the origin of the word "Mohave" / "Mojave" itself. Was it originally Spanish? English? Or a transliteration of a native word? (My money would be on a Spanish transliteration.)

And what did they call themselves anyway. (Many of the Plains Indian names we know today are the names given to them by there enemies, not there own, often sacred, names.)

In the meantime, spell it as you like.
Cheers!
Old 04-14-19, 06:15 PM
CliffordK

It sounds to me like a Native American word with both English and Spanish spellings.

Now, perhaps one should look at the history of Arizona. Isn't that one of the states that was originally Spanish/Mexican, and taken over by the Americans?

Nonetheless, it probably doesn't make much of a difference.

It looks like you've been having fun touring the south.
Old 04-14-19, 07:05 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Just be careful with your wampum. It does more than just hold your pants up. 🤔🤓😉
I keep telling my sister, that we need to re-discover Atlantis. At least those guys could spell. 😁
Old 04-14-19, 07:32 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by stardognine
Just be careful with your wampum. It does more than just hold your pants up. 🤔🤓😉
I keep telling my sister, that we need to re-discover Atlantis. At least those guys could spell. 😁
Spelling, maybe.

But, if they had only thought to draw a map... or was it that they kept all their maps in a vault on their island?

I like the theory of Santorini

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santor...tis_connection
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_eruption#Atlantis

Apparently a vibrant trading center one day, then the next a giant hole in the ground. Even if much of the rim around the crater remained, it would have experienced massive destruction, from heat, ash, and a tsunami.
Old 04-15-19, 06:21 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
you should be using the greek spelling....Ατλαντις
Old 04-15-19, 07:13 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
non related question, but serious and genuinely curious.
Have you always ridden with your seat position like that? I don't think I have ever seen a seat slanted so much downwards as this, it must put a lot of weight onto your hands.
Old 04-15-19, 11:02 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by djb
Have you always ridden with your seat position like that? I don't think I have ever seen a seat slanted so much downwards as this, it must put a lot of weight onto your hands.
I actually just adjusted the angle recently, one more notch upright. It's a tricky notch to hit just right, on a New 600 EX post. Plus this saddle's new to me, so I was just getting dialed in again. Good eye though. 😎🙂
Old 04-15-19, 11:50 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
for practical purposes, it seems to be mojave in california and mohave in arizona. i don’t recall
nevada’s proclivities in this particular matter...
Old 04-15-19, 12:08 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by djb
Not the OP here, but I have drop bars on all of my bikes, and have started angling the seat down a bit. Usually pointing more or less towards the handlebars (which are slightly lower than the seat).

Angling the seat down keeps pressure on the my fanny, and not on the tender bits. It does require a bit more dynamic cycling to keep one positioned right, but not too bad.
Old 04-15-19, 03:11 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
re seat angle, as with all bike fit stuff, the most important thing is to try different positions and listen to what the various parts of our bodies are telling us from one change to another.
I have found also that sometimes as time goes by, what felt right before starts to feel like something lacking, and a small change then feels better.
Old 04-16-19, 01:46 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
for practical purposes, it seems to be mojave in california and mohave in arizona. i don’t recall
nevada’s proclivities in this particular matter...
I think maybe you're right, and I also suspect that Mohave is the older and more respected spelling. How can you respect a word that purposely misrepresents one of it's most prominent letters? 🤔😲
Old 04-16-19, 06:29 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

I meant to continue my train of thought earlier, from the first post. I already hit the Eastern valley, not long after hitting Fort Mohave the first time. That included Golden Shores, Topock, and that little stretch of 40 that comes back up to Needles, from the South. ✌️
On a more current note, it just rained here today, twice now, and I just happened to see this cool double rainbow (though some looks to be missing). 😎
Old 04-16-19, 11:38 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
I wanted to cruise to Tucson do the Tucson Loop before it was 200 degrees outside yes hard long rides-workouts can get us all loopy but that is OK. The photos you shared with everyone is cool and have a great ride
Old 04-22-19, 05:46 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Well, I'm sneaking up on Bouse, Arizona now (around 8 miles left), on the way back to Phoenix. I saw the sights along the Colorado River there, going through Parker and the rest of that area, then just got my rythm going on the cannondale, so went with it. 😎
It's good to get back to the internet, when it gets weird from mountains & such. 👍
I mean weird, like you can't see the weather forecast, so can't really "plan" water needs. 🙄
Good thing I'm getting away from it, for now. 😉
Old 04-22-19, 05:54 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I wanted to cruise to Tucson do the Tucson Loop before it was 200 degrees outside yes hard long rides-workouts can get us all loopy but that is OK. The photos you shared with everyone is cool and have a great ride
I thought about looking at Tucson last year, but thought it might get too hot, that far South. Little did I know, huh. 🙄😁
I was really thinking more along the lines of Bisbee, where they've mined turquoise in the past.
I could probably just buy some Bisbee turquoise, without actually going there, but what fun would that be? 😁😉
Old 04-25-19, 04:51 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Made it to Wickenburg, which is around 50 miles from Sun City & the Phoenix metro area.
Not terribly exciting, but compared to the desert, it's pretty sweet. 😎
I just realized yesterday, that I passed between the Mojave Desert and the Sonoran Desert, on the way here. Maybe I should change my username to Desert Dog? 🤔😁
FYI, route 72 is like a brand new highway, in most areas, and will soon be finished. 👍 Route 60 is pretty nice too, but has far less places to sit, if you need a break. It really is like a desert out there. 😒😉
Old 04-26-19, 06:30 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Well, I've been back in Surprise for about 3 hours now. But it hit 99*F awhile ago, so I'm just being super lazy now. Plus accuweather's page has an Ozone pollution alert going on here, with the advice to NOT do much physical activity, so being lazy is actually the proper thing to do. 🤔😁
Thank goodness, it's supposed to start cooling off tomorrow, then next week. I've had more soda-pop today than it's healthy to have, I think. 🥵
Hey, there's a smiley that I don't remember seeing before. Some good has come of this heat. 😁