Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are Carbon Wheelset Generally Stronger than Aluminum Wheelset?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 06:35 AM
SuperPershing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are Carbon Wheelset Generally Stronger than Aluminum Wheelset? i just cant find any solid answers in google search. In terms of durability, is carbon wheelset (rims) stronger than Alu wheelset? but let us not put in the factor of a heavy accident like run over by a car or what, cause surely both will fail. Thanks for the answers!

Old 04-18-19, 07:30 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Strength is a nebulous term. You also bring up durability which might have nothing to do with strength.

Strength - how much weight it can hold
Durability - how long it will last
Impact resistance - can it take a hit and still be used?

I think we are talking about impact resistance here. Please clarify.

Have a look at the Carbon would have bounced back thread regarding impact resistance.

Post number 16 from an experienced wheelbuilder says...

"Alloy bends when it hits obstacles. There's really no fixing it. I do a lot of rim swaps for that reason. Doesn't happen with carbon. Really one of the big features in my world when in many cases the carbon and alloy rims are near same weight. I deal with a lot of racers and racers hit things - especially in cross. Carbon does way better.

That said when you exceed carbon it just breaks. Rest assured that the same impact would have destroyed an alloy wheel as well. "

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-18-19 at 07:35 AM.
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 04-18-19, 07:31 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperPershing
Are Carbon Wheelset Generally Stronger than Aluminum Wheelset? i just cant find any solid answers in google search. In terms of durability, is carbon wheelset (rims) stronger than Alu wheelset? but let us not put in the factor of a heavy accident like run over by a car or what, cause surely both will fail. Thanks for the answers! and dont mind the breaking cause i run fixed hehe
You won't find a straight answer, because they are just two materials. Much depends on the design of how the materials are used. If less material or an inferior design is used, the rim will be weaker. You can build a stronger alloy rim or a stronger carbon fiber rim, it all depends.

By and large, if you buy from a reputable manufacturer, they can both be just as strong / durable. Keep an eye on the rider weight limit they list for a wheelset, that will give you some indication whether they went for a strong design or focused more on a super lightweight "race-day only" wheelset. Also, wheelsets with more spokes (lets say 24 spokes in the front versus 18) will be more durable / stay true longer / have bigger weight limit. But extra spokes make the wheel heavier as well.

I am sure you have found out that carbon wheelsets can be much more expensive. But they can also be much lighter for a given wheel (rim) depth.

Bike wheels are kind of a rabbit hole honestly. It all depends on how much you want to spend, if you want it to be ultra-durable or ultra-light, etc.
Old 04-18-19, 07:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Are you talking about the build of the wheel (staying round, true and tensioned) or about the rim taking impacts or what, exactly? Well built and properly inflated, there shouldn't be too much separating the two, though. Price and weight (for a given depth/width) would be the two much more significant differentiating factors, IMO.
Old 04-18-19, 08:59 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I think the answer to your question is a resounding no. While I am definitely not a carbon expert, I have done some digging on the matter in the past because I'm not a 150lb rider and it seems that carbon generally has weight restrictions on the rider where most aluminum wheels do not.
This tells me a few things... carbon fiber has a much lower tolerance under higher weights. which as you can imagine increases your chance of catastrophic failure considerably. That's not to say ALL carbon wheels would have this issue. As there are different ways to build a carbon wheel. But, if that's a concern. Go aluminum.
The second thing my research tells me is that carbon fiber is susceptible to weakening, warping, etc. from heat. So, if you have rim brake carbon rims, even though they make special pads for CF, you're still introducing heat and friction to a laminated surface. Do the math. Disc brakes I believe would eliminate much of that risk though.
While there may be more.. I think these small points really hit at the difference between MOST aluminum and Carbon wheels. Again, there are probably exceptions, but the question was 'generally'.
I hope this helps
Old 04-18-19, 09:24 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
...it seems that carbon generally has weight restrictions on the rider where most aluminum wheels do not.
All wheels have a weight limit. Whether or not that limit has been determined in good faith and published - that's a different story.
Old 04-18-19, 09:28 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Both of my aluminum wheel sets have a published weight limit. Seems like good risk management.
Old 04-18-19, 10:10 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
My CF Boyds outlasted my AL rims by years and were still going strong when I traded them in after 6 yrs.
Likes For popeye:
Old 04-18-19, 10:20 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by motosonic
I think the answer to your question is a resounding no. While I am definitely not a carbon expert, I have done some digging on the matter in the past because I'm not a 150lb rider and it seems that carbon generally has weight restrictions on the rider where most aluminum wheels do not.
This tells me a few things... carbon fiber has a much lower tolerance under higher weights. which as you can imagine increases your chance of catastrophic failure considerably. That's not to say ALL carbon wheels would have this issue. As there are different ways to build a carbon wheel. But, if that's a concern. Go aluminum.
The second thing my research tells me is that carbon fiber is susceptible to weakening, warping, etc. from heat. So, if you have rim brake carbon rims, even though they make special pads for CF, you're still introducing heat and friction to a laminated surface. Do the math. Disc brakes I believe would eliminate much of that risk though.
While there may be more.. I think these small points really hit at the difference between MOST aluminum and Carbon wheels. Again, there are probably exceptions, but the question was 'generally'.
I hope this helps
He clearly stated it's for his fixie with no brakes...
Old 04-18-19, 10:29 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Of course carbon wheel sets are stronger than aluminum.
The fact that you pay much more for carbon because it is lighter should be all the proof you need.
Carbon also looks nicer and is a bit of a status symbol for the discerning cyclist.
Two more legitimate reasons to assume it is stronger.
Old 04-18-19, 10:56 AM
99spokes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Google "Danny MacAskill Tests Santa Cruz Reserve Carbon Wheels" for a great video example of how strong carbon wheels can be. (sorry, can't post link, not enough cred)
Likes For 99spokes:
Old 04-18-19, 12:08 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
No.
Old 04-18-19, 12:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Cross posted from the General Cycling forum.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-wheelset.html

As I said in that thread, the concept of stronger is nebulous at best and the word is incorrectly used most of the time.

Strength has to do with how much weight it will hold.
Durablity has to do with how long it will last
Impact resistance has to do acute stress, how big of a hit it can take and still function.

The OP needs to clarify what he is asking. Example...

In terms of durability, is carbon wheelset (rims) stronger
Durability an strength are two different things which might not be related at all.

-Tim-
Old 04-18-19, 04:51 PM
socaltrailrider

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7, Niner RLT9 RDO, Ibis Rimpo & Ripley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Generally speaking, carbon wheels are "stronger" than aluminum. That said, strength is not the only benefit of carbon wheels over aluminum.
Old 04-18-19, 08:12 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
I think the weight of the respective wheelsets need to be considered here.

Carbon rims would be stronger on a gram for gram basis, but they don't tend to make 600gram carbon rims, so if you don't care too much about weight, you probably can get a stronger(albeit heavier) rim that is made from aluminium.
Old 04-19-19, 12:56 AM
SuperPershing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My main point of getting a carbon wheelset is weight because having a high profile rim on a aluminum is heavy. But of course on a carbon, much much lighter. I need a high profile wheelset to better sustain speed for crits.
Old 04-19-19, 01:02 AM
SuperPershing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My main point of getting a carbon wheelset is weight because having a high profile rim on a aluminum is heavy. But of course on a carbon, much much lighter. I need a high profile wheelset to better sustain speed for crits. And i will not use breaks cause fixie. And to address this question in a much clearer state, i need the answer for Impact Resistance.

For example i had a nasty crash or i drove a really deep pothole on a speed of light. Im worried that i cannot retune my wheels because carbon is like a SOLID one piece ans cannot be bent. So im afraid that when its not trued, i cannot true it again like a normal alu rims/wheelset
Old 04-19-19, 06:48 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

And to address this question in a much clearer state, i need the answer for Impact Resistance.
Carbon will deform and recover more readily than aluminum.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...nced-back.html

Have a look at post number 16 by a professional wheel builder.

-Tim-
Old 04-19-19, 06:57 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
My main point of getting a carbon wheelset is weight because having a high profile rim on a aluminum is heavy. But of course on a carbon, much much lighter. I need a high profile wheelset to better sustain speed for crits. And i will not use breaks cause fixie. And to address this question in a much clearer state, i need the answer for Impact Resistance.

For example i had a nasty crash or i drove a really deep pothole on a speed of light. Im worried that i cannot retune my wheels because carbon is like a SOLID one piece ans cannot be bent. So im afraid that when its not trued, i cannot true it again like a normal alu rims/wheelset
Crits on a brakeless "fixie?" Do tell.

Excuse me, breakless.
Old 04-19-19, 07:02 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
For safety it's more about the manner of failure than theoretical or laboratory "strength". That, and the ability to hide or expose flaws/damage that lead to failure. Only carbon can shatter to bits, usually suddenly and without warning, due to damage that couldn't even be seen upon prior inspection.
Old 04-19-19, 09:07 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I think the weight of the respective wheelsets need to be considered here.

Carbon rims would be stronger on a gram for gram basis, but they don't tend to make 600gram carbon rims, so if you don't care too much about weight, you probably can get a stronger(albeit heavier) rim that is made from aluminium.
This.

If you are concerned about impact strength: again depends on the rim design. Cannot draw meaningful conclusions from material choice alone. You can make a super lightweight alloy rim that has less impact resistance than a strong carbon rim. You can make a very flimsy carbon rim, that has less impact resistance than a heavy alloy rim. One material is not inherently more impact resistant than the other.

This thread is dumb. Anyone who says either is more impact resistant, without comparing two specific rim designs, is talking BS.

The only thing you can say for sure is that the mode of failure is usually different between alloy and carbon. Carbon rims will crack, alloy rims will bend (irreparably). Both can be destroyed upon impact. Both can lead to nasty crashes.
Old 04-19-19, 09:50 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
For safety it's more about the manner of failure than theoretical or laboratory "strength". That, and the ability to hide or expose flaws/damage that lead to failure. Only carbon can shatter to bits, usually suddenly and without warning, due to damage that couldn't even be seen upon prior inspection.

And the OP says he just can't find any solid answers!
Old 04-19-19, 12:52 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Which would you buy, a twenty year old alloy rim, or a twenty year old carbon rim? Both rims were well taken care of. Neither rim was abused. I would get the alloy rim. JMHO
Cheers
Old 04-19-19, 12:59 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
Which would you buy, a twenty year old alloy rim, or a twenty year old carbon rim? Both rims were well taken care of. Neither rim was abused. I would get the alloy rim. JMHO
Cheers
Was anyone even commercially selling carbon fiber wheels 20 years ago, beyond maybe alloy-rim w/CF-fairing wheels? The choice dichotomy you propose isn't really a choice IIRC.

And TBH...20 year old alloy rims, weren't that great anyway, your choice basically being the Mavic rims that didn't (yet) have the spokes pull through the rim.
Old 04-19-19, 02:16 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Lots of misinformation in this thread.

I'm pretty sure that half of what's been written here is simply made up.

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.