Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is Sunscreen the New Margarine?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is Sunscreen the New Margarine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-19, 06:16 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Margarine is very bad for your heart and arteries, and sunscreen is bad for your skin, it's best to avoid both of them.
Old 04-20-19, 01:10 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The article suggests that the vitamin D is a marker that indicates sun exposure, and the thinking is that the body's other reactions to sunlight are what is actually causing the benefits.
I do know you create nitric oxide when exposed to sunlight.

M.
Old 04-20-19, 05:42 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Margarine is very bad for your heart and arteries, and sunscreen is bad for your skin, it's best to avoid both of them.
Jeanne Calment the French woman who lived to 122 (recently disputed) rode her bike until she was 100 and rubbed olive oil on her skin.

I agree about margarine, my Mom used to cook with it during the 70's and it always made me break out in zits. Nasty stuff, butter is much healthier.
Old 04-20-19, 08:29 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Outside Magazine might not be the optimal information source for this.

There are pros and cons to sunscreen, but avoiding sunburn is the most important thing to do for avoiding skin cancers.
Old 04-20-19, 09:56 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
A few years ago a blood test revealed that I had a vitamin D deficiency. I started taking vitamin D supplements. As a result, I no longer have that deficiency. So what is the problem with vitamin D supplements?
Old 04-20-19, 10:06 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
A few years ago a blood test revealed that I had a vitamin D deficiency. I started taking vitamin D supplements. As a result, I no longer have that deficiency. So what is the problem with vitamin D supplements?
Considering there's no real consensus grounded in actual science what constitutes a "deficiency" in vitamin D....your freewill donation to the supplement-woo-industrial-complex was appreciated.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/vit...not-to-screen/

What evidence did they find on vitamin D?

Screening for vitamin D got the “I” statement: the USPSTF felt the evidence was insufficient for a variety of reasons. You can read their detailed reasoning and the research they based it on here, but here are the key points:
  • There is no consensus on the definition of vitamin D deficiency.
  • There is no consensus on optimal levels.
  • Testing methods are not standardized and results vary between laboratories.
  • There are no studies evaluating the direct benefit of screening.
  • There is adequate evidence that treatment of asymptomatic vitamin D deficiency has no benefit on cancer, diabetes, mortality, or even on fracture risk in persons not at high risk of fracture.
  • There is inadequate evidence on the benefit for other outcomes including psychosocial and physical functioning.
  • Although the evidence is adequate for a few limited outcomes, the overall evidence on the early treatment of asymptomatic, screen-detected vitamin D deficiency to improve health outcomes is inadequate.
  • There are no studies evaluating the direct harms of screening.
  • There is adequate evidence that the harms of treatment of vitamin D deficiency are small to none.
Old 04-20-19, 10:35 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
There's been back and forth on vitamin D over the years. Not only studies, but differing medical professional associations taking/changing stances:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/?s=...&submit=Search
Just like with most everything else.
Old 04-20-19, 10:38 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by jackb
There isn't for most people. Vitamin D is a lot safer for people than aspirin.
Old 04-21-19, 12:17 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
High doses of vitamin D can cause renal failure.

Vitamin D and Renal Failure: How Much Is Too Much?

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contri...ch-is-too-much
Old 04-21-19, 11:16 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Considering there's no real consensus grounded in actual science what constitutes a "deficiency" in vitamin D....your freewill donation to the supplement-woo-industrial-complex was appreciated.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/vit...not-to-screen/
I'm going to go with "Rickets".

M.
Old 04-22-19, 12:05 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
My dad suffered rickets as a kid. It affected his posture very noticeably and probably was the cause of his lifelong foot./shoe issues as well. He grew up outside Boston during the Depression at 42 degrees north. I strongly suspect that the 2000 units of D3 my last two doctors have recommended strongly would have made a big difference in his life. (But that would be just one data point.)

And on-topic. Last fall I had bloodwork done for my"doc". (She's actually a nurse. Very sharp. Her advice and medicines have been life-changing. I no longer have to take the expensive drugs I took for years.) Went in to see her and got a lecture on not taking my D. (I'd stopped for about a month and a half but hadn't told her.) Resumed taking it and very soon felt a lot better than I had been feeling. Again just one data point.

Ben
Old 04-22-19, 01:15 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I always assumed that what I read was true and that 10-15 minutes a day of sunlight would give a person all the Vitamin D they needed. Would it be possible, if you lived in, say, AZ or So Cal and spent a lot of time outside, you could get all you needed from the sun?

I know Portland can have lots of overcast days, and have daily rain or snow for weeks on end. Not a great place for Vitamin D absorption, but the average person's skin looks a lot better in old age than some farmer from Bakersfield who spent a lot of time outside. It's funny though, people still look old even without skin damage, so staying out of the sun will not spare your skin from aging.
Old 04-22-19, 03:31 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I always assumed that what I read was true and that 10-15 minutes a day of sunlight would give a person all the Vitamin D they needed. Would it be possible, if you lived in, say, AZ or So Cal and spent a lot of time outside, you could get all you needed from the sun?
I would say minimum of 30 minutes per day and you would also have to avoid sunscreen and expose large areas of your body and not just face and hands. Going outside to get vitamin D may not be practical for most people unless they work outside or bike commute, it's better to get vitamin D from food. Sorry for all the vegans, only certain animal foods have vitamin D.
Old 04-22-19, 08:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81
High doses of vitamin D can cause renal failure.

Vitamin D and Renal Failure: How Much Is Too Much?

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contri...ch-is-too-much
Overdosing on any fat soluble vitamin is a real danger because they are not eliminated quickly--A, D, E, K are all fat soluble.
Old 04-22-19, 09:43 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Overdosing on any fat soluble vitamin is a real danger because they are not eliminated quickly--A, D, E, K are all fat soluble.
My takeaway from @CycleryNorth81's link is that you have to be an idiot to overdose on Vitamin D.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-22-19, 11:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
My takeaway from @CycleryNorth81's link is that you have to be an idiot to overdose on Vitamin D.

Or buy into the megadose quackery. You can take a high dose for a while and feel just fine, the bad effects are cumulative.

Basically, unless you are a vegan, the likelihood is there's plenty of vitamin D in your diet.

Not sure why we're going into a vitamin D rabbit hole in this thread--the point made in the article was that taking vitamin D supplements and having good vitamin D blood levels didn't seem to mitigate the bad effects of too little sun exposure.

If we want to talk about this from an evolutionary perspective, our lack of fur could indicate there was some sort of biological advantage of having direct sunlight on skin. We're definitely different from other primates in this regard.
Old 04-22-19, 11:27 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That's the generally accepted view, especially since some many are deficient in it to begin with. It's like most American's saving too much for retirement - possible but rare, unlikely and requiring a lot of effort in the long run.
Old 04-22-19, 11:29 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I would say minimum of 30 minutes per day and you would also have to avoid sunscreen and expose large areas of your body and not just face and hands. Going outside to get vitamin D may not be practical for most people unless they work outside or bike commute, it's better to get vitamin D from food. Sorry for all the vegans, only certain animal foods have vitamin D.
You need the right cofactors to activate the inactive form of Vitamin D to the active form, without them it doesn't matter how much sun exposure you have.
Old 04-22-19, 11:31 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Or buy into the megadose quackery. You can take a high dose for a while and feel just fine, the bad effects are cumulative.
I would file that under "idiot."
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-22-19, 11:43 AM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
This is why you should dress like a farmer in the sunny months if you're out between 10 am and 5pm. Long sleeves with collars, gloves, wide brimmed hats. Pick routes with trees. As much as possible in shades lighter than your skin, unless it's a cold day, then darker. You will avoid almost all the negative effects of the sun, still stay cool through evaporative cooling.
Old 04-22-19, 12:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by bcpriess
This is why you should dress like a farmer in the sunny months if you're out between 10 am and 5pm. Long sleeves with collars, gloves, wide brimmed hats. Pick routes with trees. As much as possible in shades lighter than your skin, unless it's a cold day, then darker. You will avoid almost all the negative effects of the sun, still stay cool through evaporative cooling.
Speaking only for myself--well, that's not going to happen. No wide-brimmed hats, no collars, no tree-lined routes, no long sleeves. None of that suits the way I ride.