Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Toughroad add-ons exp needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-19, 10:21 AM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Toughroad add-ons exp needed

Enjoying my SLR GX 1 and am in the market for a front light, and a suitable storage bag for carrying jacket and snack etc. The mechanical to hydraulic contraption on the bars takes up some real estate and the down tube splash guard does too.

Would apprecitate some pics and comments on what other Toughroad owners has equipped their rides with and comments on how they like them. Racks, bags, panniers, lights, fenders and 700c tire upgrades over the Giant Crosscuts. Whatever you can help with. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-19, 05:53 AM
RicePudding

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Giant Talon 2 (2010, RIP)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zarbog
Enjoying my SLR GX 1 and am in the market for a front light, and a suitable storage bag for carrying jacket and snack etc. The mechanical to hydraulic contraption on the bars takes up some real estate and the down tube splash guard does too.

Would apprecitate some pics and comments on what other Toughroad owners has equipped their rides with and comments on how they like them. Racks, bags, panniers, lights, fenders and 700c tire upgrades over the Giant Crosscuts. Whatever you can help with. Thanks in advance.
I haven't got any recent photos of my TR GX1 but with regards to the stem hydraulic converter, your bike should have come with a couple of integrated mounts that attach to it to create extra space.

I use the garmin mount on top which I use my Edge Explore 820 with and the accessory bar underneath which I have a blue Lezyne Lite Drive 800XL attached to. I also use the Giant Numen integrated seat light, which is really nice and looks very tidy.

I don't use any frame bags, I prefer to just have a saddle pouch to hold some repair bits, phone and keys.

As for tyres, I wasn't a huge fan of the stock Crosscut and changed over to 38mm Hutchinson Overides. I have recently also changed the wheels over to a Fulcrum Racing Sport CX set as I wanted sealed cartridge bearings for commuting.

I'll try and take a nice picture of my ride as it stands when I get a chance but this is the integrated mounts that I found help a lot:

Last edited by RicePudding; 04-22-19 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-22-19, 06:42 AM
zarbog

Thanks for that pic RicePudding. I will definetly go see about the adapter at the shop. I was hoping to get a small handlebar bag or top tube bag, but am a bit thrown off by the hydraulic converter and the down tube splash guard.
Old 04-22-19, 07:05 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
I'm not a toughroad owner but I really like a stem/bar mounted bag for carrying jacket & snacks. That's actually exactly what I put into mine. Won't interfere with the Giant's hydraulic converter. I use a locally produced bag from The Spindle Bike Shop but something like the Revelate mountain feedbag is good too.
Old 04-22-19, 03:37 PM
RicePudding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that pic RicePudding. I will definetly go see about the adapter at the shop. I was hoping to get a small handlebar bag or top tube bag, but am a bit thrown off by the hydraulic converter and the down tube splash guard.
Yeah I've heard people complain about the conduct braking system getting in the way of handlebar bags but I never really felt like the downtube guard getting in the way. That said, I removed the mudguard from mine and just have the full length housing there.

But double check that they didn't supply the handlebar mounts when you bought the bike, mine all came in a separate box along with all the manuals and handbooks.
Old 04-22-19, 06:07 PM
zarbog

hmmm, just a bike, no manuals or anything. I will get back to the shop for sure now.
Old 05-05-19, 08:59 AM
RicePudding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmmm, just a bike, no manuals or anything. I will get back to the shop for sure now.
Sorry to revive the thread, did you have any luck getting the mounts?

I know it's a bit later than expected but here is some pictures of my GX1 at present (grown up life sometimes gets in the way of cycle time ) that I took today.

Planned upgrades:
  • New crankset - Tiagra compact or better as my FSA crankset is stuck on.
  • Hunt 4 season gravel wheels - would really like some when funds allow.

Old 05-05-19, 03:53 PM
zarbog

Nice setup on your bike.
I talked to the shop and could get a mount, but I opted for a handlebar bag and a bar mounted headlamp. I had to take the stem clamp almost all the way off, so I could get enough slack between the bars and the hydraulic converter. Used a small screwdriver to very gently nudge the right side cable away from the bar, just enough to jam the headlamp strap between the bars and cables.
These little valve covers have greatly improved my speed.........

This is the setup for now, sitting in its berth in the spare bedroom. I don't think I can get the light to point down any lower, its just too tight in there and I only use it for the blinky. Went back to the stock seat today, 2 hours and 15 minute ride, was more comfy at the end then my Serfa wich is much nicer for the first half hour but I think the little bit of padding is working against me. Have a B17 on order from the UK. Going to try that out.
I keep hunting Kijiji for another wheel set, would be nice to have a street and a dirt setup.

Last edited by zarbog; 05-05-19 at 04:01 PM. Reason: forgot some info
Old 05-07-19, 04:37 AM
RicePudding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice setup on your bike.
I talked to the shop and could get a mount, but I opted for a handlebar bag and a bar mounted headlamp. I had to take the stem clamp almost all the way off, so I could get enough slack between the bars and the hydraulic converter. Used a small screwdriver to very gently nudge the right side cable away from the bar, just enough to jam the headlamp strap between the bars and cables.
These little valve covers have greatly improved my speed.........

This is the setup for now, sitting in its berth in the spare bedroom. I don't think I can get the light to point down any lower, its just too tight in there and I only use it for the blinky. Went back to the stock seat today, 2 hours and 15 minute ride, was more comfy at the end then my Serfa wich is much nicer for the first half hour but I think the little bit of padding is working against me. Have a B17 on order from the UK. Going to try that out.
I keep hunting Kijiji for another wheel set, would be nice to have a street and a dirt setup.
Yeah man, I mean the carbon headset spacers on mine made it a lot faster too

It's a shame that the converter takes up so much space on the handlebars, I'm impressed that you managed to get a bar bag on there and a light!

I fitted a camera mount on the left hand side of my bars this weekend and that was the biggest pain imaginable to get on there and avoid pinching any of the cable lines.

I've been considering replacing my saddle with a Fabric Scoop Shallow but I've struggled to find the blue one in stock anywhere for that full matchy-matchy.

Wiggle occasionally have some cheap wheelsets but they don't stay in stock very long. I'm thinking of cleaning up the SX2 stock wheels and putting some huge tyres on them after playing around on my GX1 at the local trail centre this weekend and keeping my Hutchinson set for commuting and getting around.