Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Kask Utopia helmet -- was there a problem?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-19, 10:49 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

I've tried for months to get my hands on a Kask Utopia aero road helmet. A couple online outlets have had them in size medium, but never any large. I contacted Kask a month ago and they said they had size large in stock at the distributor level in the U.S. Today, I contacted two big online sources and both said they will never have any in size large and are discontinuing offering the helmet in any size. This is odd. Has anyone heard of any problems with the Kask Utopia? Did they have problems with certification? What's the deal? Is Kask coming out with a NEW aero helmet? [JOKING: Or is this the first sign that Trek's corrugated lining helmet really is changing cycling forever?]
Old 04-23-19, 11:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Interesting coincidence: A few years ago the Garneau Sprint helmet was introduced as an affordable everyday aero helmet for road cycling. Now it's in the outlet discount bin, touted as a winter helmet for fat biking.

My guess is that there isn't much of a market for aero helmets outside of the relative handful of pros and serious amateur triathletes, and most folks prefer ventilation and comfort. So manufacturers are stuck with helmets they can't sell or need to redesignate as something else for another niche in the market.
Old 04-27-19, 01:10 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

My guess is that there isn't much of a market for aero helmets outside of the relative handful of pros and serious amateur triathletes, and most folks prefer ventilation and comfort. So manufacturers are stuck with helmets they can't sell or need to redesignate as something else for another niche in the market.
Interesting. I also noticed a ton of Giro Air Attack helmets on super-discount when I was shopping for a new helmet a couple years ago. The local folks I see with these super-aero helmets either use them as a secondary helmet for cold/cool weather cycling or actually race tri and time trials.
Old 04-27-19, 05:37 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm kinda tempted to buy a discontinued aero helmet at discount since they drop so much in price after the Next Big Thing comes out. It'd be handy for the occasional PR or KOM attempt, and for everyday rides in cooler weather. The aero-ish helmets without fins, tails, propellers and Xenomorph extensions don't look too dorky, no worse than the funky Nutcase helmets some of my friends wear.