Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Old 07-02-14, 06:25 AM
hedge_87

Bikes: trek 8.3 ds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2012 8.3 22.5". I bought it so I didn't h a very to spend so much time running and beating my knees and lower back to death. To make a long story short life got really busy and it ended up in the garage until this spring. I've been riding everyday to work for a month and a half (only 3 miles total though). I'm really planning on adding some miles to the morning rides this month now that my butt is getting used to it.
Old 07-02-14, 07:29 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Hempdaddy
Important info... I am 5' 8", 200 lbs. (weight loss is my motivation for getting back on the bike). 17.5" frame, 700 wheels. Standard 8.2 DS with nothing really fancy. Bought it from LBS off the floor for $509.00. As mentioned before, on the way home from the LBS after about 2 miles, maybe less, my fingers started going numb. I found myself on the 5 mile ride having to ride alternating one hand to keep the feeling in them. Speed didn't make a difference. I think it's the angle of my arms to the bars maybe. It seems I am laying on the grips rather than just holding them. Seat height is appropriate to my leg length with leg very slightly bent on the lowest park of rotation. I'm thinking longer riser on the gooseneck but have heard good things about bar ends. I'm trying to avoid the bar ends just because I would rather maintain the clean look. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, the frame size is correct I think. My important parts are barely grazing the top rail when standing.
If you want a nice compromise between a clean look and the options of bar ends, check out Ergon GP2 grips. The 2" integrated bar end is a nice clean look and I find I use that option much more than the normal paddle grip when riding my Fuji.

Cheers,
Old 07-03-14, 11:21 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylj
...Just wondering if anyone here has a 17.5 inch frame on there DS , I normally have a 19 inch frame but being 5'7 or even 5'8 on a good day the LBS are convinced that 17.5 would be better...
I'm the proud owner of a brand new 8.3 DS; replacing a 25-year-old Bridgestone MTB.

I'm 5'11" (32 inseam) and a 17.5" fit me just fine. I may move the seat back a bit, but it's a very comfortable ride simply by making sure the seat was at the right height.

At myLBS, they didn't have any 8.3 DS's with larger frames, so I tried a Specialized Crosstrail (19", I think). The 8.3 DS (at a smaller size) was more comfortable for me.
Old 07-03-14, 05:53 PM
Hempdaddy

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.2 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camjr
If you want a nice compromise between a clean look and the options of bar ends, check out Ergon GP2 grips. The 2" integrated bar end is a nice clean look and I find I use that option much more than the normal paddle grip when riding my Fuji.

Cheers,
Thank you for your input. I looked at the grips online and they look pretty cool with the adjustable positions. I am going for a ride in the morning and am going to pay close attention to my body position. I am pretty sure I am leaning down pretty hard on the bars, so am still thinking bar position might be part of the solution for fixing my numbing fingers problem.
Old 07-04-14, 09:56 AM
xltiny

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.4 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your input. I looked at the grips online and they look pretty cool with the adjustable positions. I am going for a ride in the morning and am going to pay close attention to my body position. I am pretty sure I am leaning down pretty hard on the bars, so am still thinking bar position might be part of the solution for fixing my numbing fingers problem.
I also second the GP2's I started out initially with a 2013 8.4 DS, and after about a half dozen rides the isozone grips would have a little bit of "Play" as I hadn't cycled for close to 25 years I was nervous and put a fair bit of force when gripping the bars and was able to cause them to get loose. No amount of torque or adjustment could get them solid tight again. (Looking at how they were designed there was only a clamp atone location). Since getting the GP2's I really have enjoyed the flexibility of being able to change hand positions as I ride.
Old 07-06-14, 09:52 PM
Sojourner62

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Has anyone noticed the updated Trek website with the updated DS models shown? The new bikes have the DuoTrapS designation (maybe I am just late to the party). This allows for an accessory which feeds Cadence and speed data to your phone or bike computer. Sounds pretty cool. No Iso anything in sight.
Old 07-07-14, 11:20 AM
xltiny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojourner62
Has anyone noticed the updated Trek website with the updated DS models shown? The new bikes have the DuoTrapS designation (maybe I am just late to the party). This allows for an accessory which feeds Cadence and speed data to your phone or bike computer. Sounds pretty cool. No Iso anything in sight.
I had to check that out myself after seeing your post. I was on Trek's website a few weeks back and did not notice the new DuoTrapS variations. (The 8.5DS doesn't seem to have one thought) Looks like slightly different frame and I couldn't tell if the DuoTrapS was included or not, but I noticed there was a new "Blender Stem" and new Wheelset on the 8.4.
Old 07-07-14, 11:54 AM
Sojourner62

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xltiny
I had to check that out myself after seeing your post. I was on Trek's website a few weeks back and did not notice the new DuoTrapS variations. (The 8.5DS doesn't seem to have one thought) Looks like slightly different frame and I couldn't tell if the DuoTrapS was included or not, but I noticed there was a new "Blender Stem" and new Wheelset on the 8.4.
I wonder if Trek simply has not finiished updating the site or if some bikes in the line-up will be by-passed for the DuoTrapS capability. I did notice it is available on the 8.1. It seems odd they would skip over the 8.5. The challenge may be to create enough differentiation between the 8.5 and 8.6. The frames do look a bit different, almost more toward the mountain bike side of things. To my eye they look good though.
Old 07-07-14, 12:15 PM
ROB DS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone heard anything on the Trek recall, we took our bikes in the day after receiving the e-mail alert/recall notice from Trek and have received very little info. I called my LBS today and he stated they hadn't received any parts (forks) from Suntour as of yet but I should call back and talk to the "order guy" tomorrow. Why did I run my bike down to have it fixed if it's only going to sit collecting dust? This old guy doesn't do 720s, flips or jumps so the odds of our forks breaking are slim, so not much of a liability with us.

Not sure if this is a regional/local problem or just the nature of the beast, just a heads up to the bike store owners, the customers doesn't want to hear, "Ya, there's lots of people that have been effected by this recall." Yes, I (we) understand, I (we) need to be patient but get on the phone, get some answers and take care of business. I was originally told the parts would be in on July 2? Maybe Trek can send out an e-mail with the status of the recall (Suntour shipping) because the customer really shouldn't have to keep on pestering their LBS to try and get answers. AHHHHHHHHHHH venting is good, I can now take on the day, thanks for listening.

Old 07-07-14, 02:25 PM
xltiny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ROB DS
Has anyone heard anything on the Trek recall, we took our bikes in the day after receiving the e-mail alert/recall notice from Trek and have received very little info. I called my LBS today and he stated they hadn't received any parts (forks) from Suntour as of yet but I should call back and talk to the "order guy" tomorrow. Why did I run my bike down to have it fixed if it's only going to sit collecting dust? This old guy doesn't do 720s, flips or jumps so the odds of our forks breaking are slim, so not much of a liability with us.

Not sure if this is a regional/local problem or just the nature of the beast, just a heads up to the bike store owners, the customers doesn't want to hear, "Ya, there's lots of people that have been effected by this recall." Yes, I (we) understand, I (we) need to be patient but get on the phone, get some answers and take care of business. I was originally told the parts would be in on July 2? Maybe Trek can send out an e-mail with the status of the recall (Suntour shipping) because the customer really shouldn't have to keep on pestering their LBS to try and get answers. AHHHHHHHHHHH venting is good, I can now take on the day, thanks for listening.
I dropped mine off the Friday morning after the recall was announced and was number 2 in the queue for the LBS. As the shop manager was away till Monday it wasn't until then that they were processed and with two Holidays Canada Day and Independence Day in this past week, I realistically don't expect to see my bike till this weekend, a followup call to the shop last Thursday, I was told that all the forks ordered for all the bikes dropped off in the first weekend have all been shipped and that sometime mid-week I would get a call.
Old 07-07-14, 02:50 PM
grimbeaver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well just picked up my 2012 DS 8.5 from the recall replacement and I am rather disappointed. I now have a high gloss black fork on a matte gray frame and no more remote lockout. The gloss white one looks decent on the wife's Neko SL but mine just looks out of place on the 8.5.
Old 07-07-14, 03:10 PM
xltiny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grimbeaver
Well just picked up my 2012 DS 8.5 from the recall replacement and I am rather disappointed. I now have a high gloss black fork on a matte gray frame and no more remote lockout. The gloss white one looks decent on the wife's Neko SL but mine just looks out of place on the 8.5.
Wow no remote lockout? I would be pissed. I would call Trek as you have lost functionality, the 2014 8.5's have Remote Lockout listed and the RST forks are available with the remote lockout.
Old 07-07-14, 03:42 PM
grimbeaver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xltiny
Wow no remote lockout? I would be pissed. I would call Trek as you have lost functionality, the 2014 8.5's have Remote Lockout listed and the RST forks are available with the remote lockout.
I called Trek. They said have the shop resubmit the claim to get one with a remote lockout. As for the paint they said tough luck. Quoted a song and dance about they did the best the could to find a fork with neutral color options to match the best they could since Suntour is not participating in the recall and they are shouldering all the costs.
Old 07-07-14, 07:21 PM
PSYS

Bikes: '14 TREK 8.2 DS / '08 CANNONDALE System6 Team Edition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Important info... I am 5' 8", 200 lbs. (weight loss is my motivation for getting back on the bike). 17.5" frame, 700 wheels. Standard 8.2 DS with nothing really fancy. Bought it from LBS off the floor for $509.00. As mentioned before, on the way home from the LBS after about 2 miles, maybe less, my fingers started going numb. I found myself on the 5 mile ride having to ride alternating one hand to keep the feeling in them. Speed didn't make a difference. I think it's the angle of my arms to the bars maybe. It seems I am laying on the grips rather than just holding them. Seat height is appropriate to my leg length with leg very slightly bent on the lowest park of rotation. I'm thinking longer riser on the gooseneck but have heard good things about bar ends. I'm trying to avoid the bar ends just because I would rather maintain the clean look. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, the frame size is correct I think. My important parts are barely grazing the top rail when standing.
this is interesting.

I'm about 6'0" and have a 19.5" 8.2 DS. Got it a couple of weeks ago. I went on my longest ride to date yesterday (about 31 miles) and noticed this issue. I even made it a point to remember that on approx. Mile 21, my hands got just a little "tingly" (for lack of better words). I began alternating my hands as you described in your post. I also feel that my bike, overall, seems to fit me without any issues at all.

I'm not quite sure how bar ends would help alleviate this issue. I'm a newbie though and I don't think I have enough info. I was going to take a trip to my LBS this weekend where I bought my bike to have them watch me ride it again. Maybe there's a minor adjustment of some sort that can be made to the stem, seat post, etc, etc? I've no idea but the tingly hands during my ride was less than pleasant.
Old 07-07-14, 08:03 PM
ROB DS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I hope this isn't the standard practice by Trek but an error made in ordering from your LBS. I guess I better go into my local shop tomorrow and find out what type of forks (remote lockout?) were actually ordered. Thanks for the info, sorry for your recall hassle.
Old 07-07-14, 08:29 PM
grimbeaver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My understanding is that the LBS just submits the S/N and info to Trek and they send a fork. The error is on the Trek side I believe.

I used to get numb hands with my old mountain bike. My DS 8.5 has the Satellite Elite grips which I think I read somewhere the shape of is supposed to reduce the problem of tingly hands. I'm about 5'9" with a 17.5" frame and I actually got a shorter stem because I felt stretched reaching for the bars.
Old 07-07-14, 09:36 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojourner62
I wonder if Trek simply has not finiished updating the site or if some bikes in the line-up will be by-passed for the DuoTrapS capability. I did notice it is available on the 8.1. It seems odd they would skip over the 8.5. The challenge may be to create enough differentiation between the 8.5 and 8.6. The frames do look a bit different, almost more toward the mountain bike side of things. To my eye they look good though.
For whatever reason, the USA & Canada Trek websites don't currently show the 2015 8.5 DS on it, but Trek's pages for Australia, England, Germany, France, Japan & China do show it.

I actually think it is the best colour scheme of all the DS bikes.

Old 07-07-14, 11:21 PM
xltiny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PSYS
this is interesting.

I'm about 6'0" and have a 19.5" 8.2 DS. Got it a couple of weeks ago. I went on my longest ride to date yesterday (about 31 miles) and noticed this issue. I even made it a point to remember that on approx. Mile 21, my hands got just a little "tingly" (for lack of better words). I began alternating my hands as you described in your post. I also feel that my bike, overall, seems to fit me without any issues at all.

I'm not quite sure how bar ends would help alleviate this issue. I'm a newbie though and I don't think I have enough info. I was going to take a trip to my LBS this weekend where I bought my bike to have them watch me ride it again. Maybe there's a minor adjustment of some sort that can be made to the stem, seat post, etc, etc? I've no idea but the tingly hands during my ride was less than pleasant.
I'm a newbie rider too having not biked for a long time. I restarted biking last summer on a beater bike that wasn't sized right( mainly learning to balance again). I got my 8.4 ds towards the end of last summer and transferred my Selle Italia saddle. One thing I noticed was that my bike came with Shimano hydraulic brakes found on the 8.5 instead of the Tektro as well as Shimano hubs. No idea why but I was real happy. I can relate to the other posters about the hands getting numb after 15 mile rides. The bar ends offer more of alternative hand positions which I theorize help because I am gripping the bars too tightly due to lack of core strength.

since last year I have changed to a narrower tire as I have to keep up with my roadie friends, gotten a longer stem added a rack, fenders, and lights on top of the new handlebars and seat.
Old 07-07-14, 11:24 PM
Sojourner62

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
For whatever reason, the USA & Canada Trek websites don't currently show the 2015 8.5 DS on it, but Trek's pages for Australia, England, Germany, France, Japan & China do show it.

I actually think it is the best colour scheme of all the DS bikes.

Thanks for sharing your discovery about the 8.5 on websites for other countries. I agree, good looking bike.
Old 07-08-14, 12:17 PM
Sunsanvil

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pics please.
Old 07-08-14, 01:25 PM
Sunsanvil

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I called Trek. They said have the shop resubmit the claim to get one with a remote lockout. As for the paint they said tough luck. Quoted a song and dance about they did the best the could to find a fork with neutral color options to match the best they could since Suntour is not participating in the recall and they are shouldering all the costs.
Was the one you got hydrolic lockout at least? I feel strongly that since thats what the old fork was on the 8.4 that that is what the replacement should be.
Old 07-08-14, 03:12 PM
grimbeaver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes it is a hydraulic lockout still. Took some photos. Hard a hard time finding a spot around the house to prop up the bikes that had decent light.

Well to start here's the wife's 2012 Neko SL, the replacement other then having a red lockout instead of the original blue blends pretty well.

Here's my 2012 8.5 DS with the black replacement. Maybe it's me but I think the black just doesn't fit with the rest of the paint. It's just so glossy while everything else is matte finish.

So now for the really bad news. Got a call from the bike shop today, they talked to Trek... all they have right now with remote lockout is white. If I want black with remote lockout I have to wait till Sept! Told them fine I'll wait for it and in the mean time I guess I will ride this one. So anyone who needs a black with remote lockout I wouldn't bother bringing it in right now.

This poor customer service has somewhat soured me on Trek. Don't know if I'll be recommending them in the future or buying another of their bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2014-07-08 15.55.03.jpg (103.2 KB, 802 views)
File Type: jpg
2014-07-08 15.58.00.jpg (103.6 KB, 825 views)
Old 07-08-14, 07:41 PM
Hempdaddy

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.2 DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PSYS
this is interesting.

I decided to go for a ride the other day. My goal was 10 miles, flat paved surface. I made it 2 miles before I had to start switching hands. I tried just resting my hands on the grips rather than squeezing them. No help. I turned around after 3 miles, 6 mile ride total. My LBS wants $60 US to do a fit test and set it up for me. For that money I could get new grips or put it towards a higher riser on the goose-neck. I don't want to throw parts at the problem until it is fixed, that can be expensive. SO... Is getting a fit test worth it? I am not going to ride competitively, or for especially long rides, but want to commute the 13 miles one-way to work when the weather cools off in Phoenix.
Old 07-08-14, 08:11 PM
PSYS

Bikes: '14 TREK 8.2 DS / '08 CANNONDALE System6 Team Edition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided to go for a ride the other day. My goal was 10 miles, flat paved surface. I made it 2 miles before I had to start switching hands. I tried just resting my hands on the grips rather than squeezing them. No help. I turned around after 3 miles, 6 mile ride total. My LBS wants $60 US to do a fit test and set it up for me. For that money I could get new grips or put it towards a higher riser on the goose-neck. I don't want to throw parts at the problem until it is fixed, that can be expensive. SO... Is getting a fit test worth it? I am not going to ride competitively, or for especially long rides, but want to commute the 13 miles one-way to work when the weather cools off in Phoenix.

Funny you said that.... I did a short 5-mile ride after dinner this evening and I'm definitely heading to my LBS this weekend. I'm not gripping the handlebars with a death grip and I made a conscious effort to remain relaxed on this ride. My hands didn't go numb, but now I'm starting to pay attention to how they feel. When I initially got my DS 3-weeks ago, they simply eyeballed me on the bike and said it looked good (the "simple" fit is free with every bike purchase) so I'm guessing that was the simple fit. My LBS wants $50 for what they call a "Basic 4-point" fit test and I'm tempted to pay it. If they recommend the bike ends after the fact, so be it. I don't think the bike ends could hurt and far too many people on the forum recommend them.

I've got about 70 miles on this thing over the course of the last 3 weeks. It's not UNcomfortable, but I'm wondering if some simple tweaks will make it feel even better.

There's a lot of geometry stacked up in this fairly compact machine. I've read too many discussions on this forum where someone flipped their stem or moved their seats down a few millimeters and all of a sudden, it feels like they have a brand new and better fitting bike. I don't know if any of this helps, but this how I'm going to approach it. *shrug*
Old 07-09-14, 06:09 AM
limbot

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Australia reporting in here

Took my Trek 2013 8.4 and my son's 2013 8.3 in on the 28th of June the day after I saw the recall on Facebook. Got the call from the LBS today to say the bike is ready. Not sure if it's just one of them or both. I'm a concerned about the 8.4 as it's the matte white, one of the reasons I bought it. If it's a glossy white fork wondering how that'll work.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to pick it up tomorrow and if it's the 8.4 that's ready I'll post up a pic to let you know how it looks.

Whatever happens at least I won't be losing the bloody lock out knob off the NRXs anymore by the looks of things. Already lost 2 of them doing trails and they aren't easy to come by .

Last edited by limbot; 07-09-14 at 06:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.