Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Catch all Professional Cycling Chat (Possible Spoilers)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Catch all Professional Cycling Chat (Possible Spoilers)

Old 07-30-18, 11:57 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I liked the tour this year although I thought there was too much climbing and not enough ITT. Although the three best time trialists were on the podium.

Excluding the sprint stages, it seemed to lack any explosiveness on the climbs. Maybe this is an indication of less or zero doping. The teams seemed to play more defense especially Sky. Movi Star tried to make some things happen but it seemed weak.
Movistar didn't really try anything until they were so far down on the GC as to be almost non competitive. Valverde made one attempt early in the tour, but that was about it.

Maybe if Landa, Quintana or Valverde worked together in the earlier stages, they could have put the hammer down on Sky and forced a better competition later. But those three guys were mostly operating solo, with Movistar's plan to being to support whomever was doing best. Problem with that is not one of them did well enough early to really stand out as a threat.
Old 07-30-18, 12:43 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,448 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Movistar didn't really try anything until they were so far down on the GC as to be almost non competitive. Valverde made one attempt early in the tour, but that was about it.

Maybe if Landa, Quintana or Valverde worked together in the earlier stages, they could have put the hammer down on Sky and forced a better competition later. But those three guys were mostly operating solo, with Movistar's plan to being to support whomever was doing best. Problem with that is not one of them did well enough early to really stand out as a threat.
I agree. I like Valverde a lot and he would get in a break and we were all waiting for Quintana to press the action in the Alpes and he did not.
Old 07-30-18, 02:21 PM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ntnyln
With the caveat that I'm a Froome fan, I don't see it as greedy. I see it as pushing yourself to the limit and seeing what your made of. Everyone was complaining after Lance set up the one race a year matters cadence and Froome has blown that wide open by taking chances with his "legacy."
so you're the one

Originally Posted by Hermes
I liked the tour this year although I thought there was too much climbing and not enough ITT. Although the three best time trialists were on the podium.

Excluding the sprint stages, it seemed to lack any explosiveness on the climbs. Maybe this is an indication of less or zero doping. The teams seemed to play more defense especially Sky. Movi Star tried to make some things happen but it seemed weak.

IMO, Dumoulin and Roglic need to up their equipment game on the time trials. Dumoulin was lucky that Froome was playing with his radio and seemed to have some other issues as he squirmed in his saddle and reached around his back with one arm. Each minor position change cost him a few thousands of a second. Dumoulin should have trounced Froome.

What was with Roglic's TT helmet? No glasses or visor? I find it hard to believe that is the fastest setup. I think both guys need better equipment sponsors and testing and then take the results and do a lot of strength and adaptation.

Also, Roglic was very lucky in stage 19 with the motor staying too close and providing Roglic with less wind resistance. I ride behind the motor a lot at the track and even with the motor several bike lengths ahead, it make it easier to faster with less power. Froome and Dumoulin were both trying to catch Roglic by pedaling hard and could not on the downhill. Froome was pedaling by sitting on the top tube. I think Roglic reduced his time due to the motor.

Alaphillipe is the real deal in the mountains both climbing and descending. He has fabulous, power skills and talent. Plus he is a bit of a showman which should make it more interesting for fans and liked by sponsors.
I don't know about TT equipment, but @Hermes, Dumoulin and Roglic are gold and silver in the discipline, so they must have something figured out.

I was disappointed Roglic couldn't hold the podium in the final TT, his win the day prior was to me the most exciting moment of the TdF. He attacked over the aubisque and moto or no moto, he straight up owned everyone else on the descent.

Alaphillipe is an exciting rider, but I don't see him as a GT contender, he is great for climbing with the break but hasn't shown the ability to climb with the group of contenders, and was 3:42 off the pace in saturdays TT (one cherrypicked sample and not knowing if he went full tilt or not but still, that's a lot of time)
Old 07-31-18, 10:31 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
so you're the one
There are dozens of us! Dozens.

my race videos
Old 08-01-18, 11:08 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I think this is a transitional year for the Tour. Froome, Thomas, Nibali, Cav, and Greipel are all going to start their decline while Bernal, Alaphilippe, Groenewegen, and Gavira are all on the rise. Not going to say that's going to happen next year but the status quo has changed.

Being 1 generation removed from Wales, I'm pretty excited. The Welsh haven't had this big a win since we won the Cat 4 San Bruno Hill Climb a few years back.
When I lived with my brother we had that flag on the wall in the living room. Big day for our ancestors from hfrynghyilkjyndfgeyesugyft.
Old 08-01-18, 11:59 AM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
haha, that made me laugh

Originally Posted by Ygduf
When I lived with my brother we had that flag on the wall in the living room. Big day for our ancestors from hfrynghyilkjyndfgeyesugyft.
is that near Cardiff?
Old 08-01-18, 04:32 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Remember to only share the pointy elbow secret handshake with the true believers!
Old 08-11-18, 01:36 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jan Ullrich. Sad.
Old 08-28-18, 11:36 AM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
todays Vuelta stage

#MABRA !
Old 08-28-18, 02:52 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
indeed! well desrved
Old 08-29-18, 12:23 AM
mattm
**** that

Liking the Vurlta so far.

Cool to see Viviani back in action!
Old 03-22-19, 10:12 PM
mattm
**** that

Tried jumping through a bunch of hoops to watch Eurosport - got VPN, but then realized they want a billing address in the UK.. so much for that. Take my $$$!! For some reason it's challenging to pay for HD full races in the U.S.

Purchased "FloBikes" streaming package instead to watch spring classics, it has a bunch of races that NBC Sports streaming doesn't have.

Stage 4 of Tirreno Adriatico was off the hook - dude attacked with like 40k to go, crashed twice, got caught in the last 1k, still ****ing won.

(go to about 45 secs in)

Best finish in a bike race I've seen maybe ever.

my race videos

Last edited by mattm; 03-22-19 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-21-19, 10:01 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I might be jumping the gun here, but this Van der Poel kid might be pretty good at bikes.
Old 04-21-19, 10:03 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 3,105 Times in 1,641 Posts
What I like most is he does it all: CX, MTB, road... He's a once in a generation talent IMO.

He pretty much single-handedly pulled the group of favorite to the front from 2 km out then took the sprint from the front. Wow.
Old 04-21-19, 11:58 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I might be jumping the gun here, but this Van der Poel kid might be pretty good at bikes.
Ya think?

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-21-19, 03:18 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
lol that Amstel finish was an instant classic. So rad!
Old 04-21-19, 06:24 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
WTF was that race. From god knows how far back at 4k to go, pulling in a headwind uphill, leading out the sprint and winning. I was already a fan. Now even more so.

I had the result spoiled and I still didn't think it was going to happen.
Old 04-21-19, 06:32 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
as good as mvdp is ... you have to admit JF and JA kinda blew it freewheeling as much as they did at the end.
Old 04-21-19, 06:47 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Pretty sure Fuglsang played the game right. He is the weaker finisher. IMO the headwind uphill is the section that lost them the race.
Old 04-22-19, 12:58 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Yeah I knew who won but nothing else about the race, was starting to wonder if the headline I saw was some sort of mistake by the last couple KM.

Pretty sure Fuglsang played the game right. He is the weaker finisher. IMO the headwind uphill is the section that lost them the race.
While I agree continuing to work/cooperate with Alaphillipe and then sprinting 2-up would have been a poor strategy for him, sitting up with 2km to go was a bad choice. Even discounting MVdP's heroics, the games those two were playing at the front allowed Kwiatkowski to catch them, which certainly didn't improve Fuglsang's odds. He should have kept attacking, I think one or two more of those and Alaphillipe would have broken (he obviously didn't have anything left in the tank based on how the finish played out).

Would Fuglsang have been able to hold off the chasing group on his own? Maybe, maybe not. I think yes, considering they had what, 40 secs at that point? All out 2K solo effort by Fuglsang instead of cat and mouse games, I think MVdP would have been a little too late.
Old 04-22-19, 05:15 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Fuglsang says they did it wrong on bad information.

“I’m not disappointed that I didn’t win, but I’m disappointed in the way I did,” he told Het Nieuwsblad. “At two kilometres from the finish, the director of the race told us that we had a 35-second lead. That means those other riders raced 15 seconds per kilometre faster than we did. I think that’s impossible.”
Old 04-25-19, 04:28 PM
mattm
**** that

WTF was that race. From god knows how far back at 4k to go, pulling in a headwind uphill, leading out the sprint and winning. I was already a fan. Now even more so.

What are the chances that MVDP's clean?

Don't get me wrong, I like him too but... when someone does super-human **** you have to wonder a little.

my race videos
Old 04-25-19, 05:02 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

He's got really good genetics. But that doesn't exonerate him.
Old 04-25-19, 06:27 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 3,105 Times in 1,641 Posts
dope or no dope he's a talent. if you watch any of his CX and XC MTB stuff you'll see he also has next-level bike handling skills, can't dope for those
Old 04-29-19, 11:57 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by Ygduf
Fuglsang says they did it wrong on bad information.
He got it right at LBL!

And his almost-crash was epic... I thought he was going down for sure.

my race videos

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.