Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Replacing Suspension and Handlebar

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 03:17 PM
king_solom0n

Bikes: Fuji SL 25, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need some help on two bikes.

1. I have a bike that I bought from Bike's Direct (Save up to 60% off new Hybrid Bicycles | Adventure Hybrid 29er Bikes Elite Adventure Sport Trail). I like the bike but the suspension fork sucks. I would like to replace it with a rigid fork. However I have no idea where to start or if it's even worth doing. How would I go about finding the exact size of fork I would need?

2. My Fuji Absolute 1.7 is what I ride all the time. There's nothing with it. For aesthetic reasons, I want to get a flatbar to replace the riser bar I currently have. I see relatively cheap carbon fiber flat bars on ebay and amazon. Are they any good or should I stick with aluminum?

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-01-15, 03:26 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1) you need a 1 1/8",threadless fork for 700c wheels and suspension corrected. The suspension corrected part is important,because otherwise you'll change the geometry of the bike. Fair number of forks out there;Surly and Salsa are two of the bigger names that make them,but there's also cheaper ones from Dimension. Nashbar makes a CF fork that can be found on sale for around $100 or so. Figure on spending $50-125 on the fork(depending on material/brand),and about another $25-35 to have a shop install it.

2) cheap carbon can be hit-or-miss,I'd at least get a Performance or Nashbar house brand. Make sure you inspect your stem clamp to ensue there are no rough edges,and make absolutely certain you use a torque wrench.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 06-01-15, 05:12 PM
RickGr4

Bikes: 2016 Giant Fastroad CoMax 2, 2002 Jamis Tangier, Classic Nakamichi 10 speed.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a cost standpoint, at what point do you sell the Fuji and buy the bike you really wanted???

Originally Posted by king_solom0n
Need some help on two bikes.

1. I have a bike that I bought from Bike's Direct (Save up to 60% off new Hybrid Bicycles | Adventure Hybrid 29er Bikes Elite Adventure Sport Trail). I like the bike but the suspension fork sucks. I would like to replace it with a rigid fork. However I have no idea where to start or if it's even worth doing. How do would I go about finding the exact size of fork I would need?

2. My Fuji Absolute 1.7 is what I ride all the time. There's nothing with it. For aesthetic reasons, I want to get a flatbar to replace the riser bar I currently have. I see relatively cheap carbon fiber flat bars on ebay and amazon. Are they any good or should I stick with aluminum?

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-01-15, 08:23 PM
king_solom0n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
1) you need a 1 1/8",threadless fork for 700c wheels and suspension corrected. The suspension corrected part is important,because otherwise you'll change the geometry of the bike. Fair number of forks out there;Surly and Salsa are two of the bigger names that make them,but there's also cheaper ones from Dimension. Nashbar makes a CF fork that can be found on sale for around $100 or so. Figure on spending $50-125 on the fork(depending on material/brand),and about another $25-35 to have a shop install it.

2) cheap carbon can be hit-or-miss,I'd at least get a Performance or Nashbar house brand. Make sure you inspect your stem clamp to ensue there are no rough edges,and make absolutely certain you use a torque wrench.
Thanks for you help!

1. Looks like this is what I need? Bikeman Dimension 700c Hybrid Fork: 1-1 8 inch Threadless; Suspension Corrected; Black

2. Couldn't find anything low priced under performance or nashbar. Would this (CarbonCycles.CC :: Components :: Products :: Handlebars - MTB - Carbon :: eXotic Full Carbon Flat Handlebar :: CC-HF183166) work as far as length is concerned?
Old 06-01-15, 08:31 PM
king_solom0n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RickGr4
For a cost standpoint, at what point do you sell the Fuji and buy the bike you really wanted???
I would like to get a carbon fiber road bike once I get under 200 pounds, but I would still keep the Fuji around to have friends who don't have bikes join me in rides. So I don't really see myself selling it to finance another bike.
Old 06-02-15, 08:03 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
1) Rigid forks covered above. Yes, you will like it if you like more responsive handling.

2) I would never change something because of looks... But if I wanted a flat bar to replace a riser, I would stay with aluminum unless you have a specific reason for carbon (besides looks). As fatr as width, what is the width of your current bar? Is it the right width for you? If so, look for that width.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-02-15, 04:12 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That looks right.

2. Couldn't find anything low priced under performance or nashbar. Would this (CarbonCycles.CC :: Components :: Products :: Handlebars - MTB - Carbon :: eXotic Full Carbon Flat Handlebar :: CC-HF183166) work as far as length is concerned?
What's your clamp size? This is what you're looking at:

31.8 is road/oversize,I'm pretty sure that's too thick in the clamping area for your stem. You'd need to replace the stem if you bought that bar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
clampsize.JPG (6.6 KB, 2 views)

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X