Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Lezyne Mega XL and dual-sided power meter compatibility

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 10:48 AM
lytleric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently picked up Lezyne Mega XL, mainly due to the fact that it supports left/right power measurement (as well as multiple bike profiles, a must-have for me). I have been using the Polar V650 along with Polar Look Keo Power pedals for a few years. It's been working well, and I like having separate left and right power readings, but I wanted the navigation features of the Lezyne.

My power pedals transmit via BLE, and I know that the Lezyne supports BLE connectivity. However, it can only accept ONE power meter signal, and from what I can tell, my pedals each transmit their own power reading to the headunit.

Look offers an option to upgrade older Polar power pedals to the newer version with ANT+/BLE. However, I am not sure if it will still transmit TWO separate power signals, or if one side transmits to the other, which then sends one signal to the headunit.

So my question: Has anyone used a Lezyne GPS with a true dual-sided power meter? How does it work? Does it send one power signal? How does the Lezyne present a L/R power balance, without having two separate power signals? I see that the Favero Assioma and Powertap P1 are both on Lezyne's list of supported power meters, and they are pedal-based meters that offer distinct L/R readings, so it must have a way of knowing how much is coming from each side.
Old 05-21-19, 02:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
My Vectors give me L/R balance. Only one pedal talks to the head unit, it talks to the other one and forwards the data on.

I don't have a useful answer for you. If I were in your shoes, I'd phone Lezyne about it. And is buy it from a store that will give me my money back if necessary. REI, Backcountry, Amazon, lots of others.
Old 05-18-20, 11:15 PM
Howard70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Yes - I use SRM X-Power pedals with a Lezyne Super GPS and I get the left/right data along with cadence. According to the documentation with the pedals if you connect via ANT+ then you only connect the right pedal because it captures data from the left pedal and transmits both to the GPS. If you connect via Bluetooth you need to connect both pedals. I have only one ride with these pedals (received them today) but on that ride I captured power from the pedals on three devices simultaneously - Ride With GPS (iPhone via Bluetooth each pedal separately), a Lezyne Super GPS (ANT+ connected to right pedal only) and a Garmin Fenix 5 Plus (ANT+ via right pedal only).

Howard Snell