Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-20, 01:23 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11955 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Yes. My mistake, as I figured butter was a given. Between them, on them, under them.
I saturate mine, usually forgoing the syrup altogether.
Old 01-23-20, 01:25 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by rjones28
Why do you hate America?
Clearly communist.
Old 01-23-20, 01:29 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by abshipp
Just bare steel. I had the cantilever posts and shift bosses brazed on.

If everything is chrome in the future, then the future must have started in 1977

#warmweatherpic
Right my size, sweet!
Likes For BillyD:
Old 01-23-20, 01:39 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I'm Canadian.
You'd better up your butter consumption then.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...dwide-country/
Old 01-23-20, 01:41 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Just bare steel. I had the cantilever posts and shift bosses brazed on.

If everything is chrome in the future, then the future must have started in 1977

#warmweatherpic
I kinda figured it was bare steel, but chrome has more swag.
Old 01-23-20, 01:43 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I only got into Nutella about 10-15 years ago because of my kids. It's tasty. Think chocolatey peanut butter. But it's hazelnut based.
Oh, I know what it is. I've eaten it. I just don't keep it around.
Old 01-23-20, 01:44 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06

So I definitely need booties. By mile 11 my feet were freezing. Mile 25 I thought I could do the 62 miles. By mile 33 my lower back was killing me. I was also really hungry. Made the mistake of not eating before. I was pretty spent at 40. I think it was the combination of no food, and my body was freezing.
It took me a good thirty minutes to get warmed back up, and my big was a weird shade of purple.
Temperature starting was 29 temperature at the end was 38.

happy thursday.
Great effort! The next one will be easier.

Lower back: As others have said, you need to get used to spending time in that position. However, I strongly believe that being comfortable on the bike, particularly low and comfortable, is largely a matter of strength in the posterior chain, centered around the glutes, which support the lower back and spare the paraspinal muscles, which are what hurts. This is why I love deadlifts, but there are lots of great exercises which will do the same thing.

Hunger: Your liver and muscle glycogen stores are gone by about 90 min. After that, you need to live on ketone bodies from fat and make glucose out of other molecules. Those processes involve enzyme systems the genes for which aren't transcribed into proteins (enzymes) at high rates unless we need them. If you go out in an untrained state and burn up your carb stores, you can go right into a state of energy collapse with lots of attendant hunger and stress. Long rides turn up the rate of gene transcription for those systems which mitigate starvation and soon you'll be able to go for hours without eating or getting hungry unless you're like WhyFi , in which case you will have to stop for donuts. : Þ

Leg pain: Probably related to metabolic stress. Again, training.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 01-23-20 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-23-20, 01:58 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
... unless you're like WhyFi , in which case you will have to stop for donuts. : Þ
You say that like it's a bad thing.

That reminds me that I haven't made a stop at Duck Donuts yet this trip. Melt-your-face-off hot from the fryer and gooey with toppings of your choice. Mmmmmm.
Old 01-23-20, 02:09 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,618 Times in 1,239 Posts

Lower back: As others have said, you need to get used to spending time in that position. However, I strongly believe that being comfortable on the bike, particularly low and comfortable, is largely a matter of strength in the posterior chain, centered around the glutes, which support the lower back and spare the paraspinal muscles, which are what hurts. This is why I love deadlifts, but there are lots of great exercises which will do the same thing.
My back never really hurts on the road bike, but my lower back does start to hurt on the mountain bike after a while. I also have a desk job and don't exercise outside of cycling.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to start bodyweight workouts and start stretching, but I never have the motivation. I know it will help in the long run, but man I hate it in the short term.
Old 01-23-20, 02:24 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,181 Times in 2,224 Posts

Hunger: Your liver and muscle glycogen stores are gone by about 90 min. After that, you need to live on ketone bodies from fat and make glucose out of other molecules. Those processes involve enzyme systems the genes for which aren't transcribed into proteins (enzymes) at high rates unless we need them. If you go out in an untrained state and burn up your carb stores, you can go right into a state of energy collapse with lots of attendant hunger and stress. Long rides turn up the rate of gene transcription for those systems which mitigate starvation and soon you'll be able to go for hours without eating or getting hungry unless you're like WhyFi , in which case you will have to stop for donuts. : Þ

Leg pain: Probably related to metabolic stress. Again, training.
I lift two to three times a week. When I do dead’s typically it’s lifting heavy, 6 to 8 reps. Do you recommend a lighter load and higher reps? Back pain went away about an hour after my ride.

Looking forward to trying again. I still need to get a base layer, and booties. One of the guys from my group ride thinks he has a spare set of booties. I also have old surfing booties I was thinking about cutting the sole out and maybe putting those on top of my shoes. There made of neoprene.
Old 01-23-20, 03:11 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I lift two to three times a week. When I do dead’s typically it’s lifting heavy, 6 to 8 reps. Do you recommend a lighter load and higher reps? Back pain went away about an hour after my ride.

Looking forward to trying again. I still need to get a base layer, and booties. One of the guys from my group ride thinks he has a spare set of booties. I also have old surfing booties I was thinking about cutting the sole out and maybe putting those on top of my shoes. There made of neoprene.
Most casual cyclists don't know a deadlift from a deadhead and have weak glutes. If you're already doing heavy deads 2-3x/wk, the posterior chain is probably not the problem, but you can always switch things up. I would also look closely at fit and, of course, give yourself a chance to get used to long rides and that's the standard answer to bike-related discomfort around here.
Again, great that you're challenging yourself like that.
Old 01-23-20, 03:42 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

OK, reality check needed from the group:

My wife's nephew (who we know well and LOVE) got married a year ago. His wife seems quite nice, they dated for several years.

Apparently he and his wife are having some bumps in their adjustment to marriage, and they have been fighting (verbally, as far as I can tell). My wife heard from her sister (his mom) that the fights have gotten nasty and he even threatened the D (divorce) word.

My wife and I, although we get along now also, had some bumps in our marriage the first few years and we went for couples counseling which we thought was VERY helpful.

My wife suggested I text or call our nephew and let him know what we went through, and what worked for us.

I am thinking fools rush in where wise men fear to tread, and my contact with him may be well-intentioned but may make matters worse.

Comments? Should I post in the 41 with a poll? Write to Dear Abby??
Old 01-23-20, 03:48 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts

My wife's nephew (who we know well and LOVE) got married a year ago. His wife seems quite nice, they dated for several years.

Apparently he and his wife are having some bumps in their adjustment to marriage, and they have been fighting (verbally, as far as I can tell). My wife heard from her sister (his mom) that the fights have gotten nasty and he even threatened the D (divorce) word.

My wife and I, although we get along now also, had some bumps in our marriage the first few years and we went for couples counseling which we thought was VERY helpful.

My wife suggested I text or call our nephew and let him know what we went through, and what worked for us.

I am thinking fools rush in where wise men fear to tread, and my contact with him may be well-intentioned but may make matters worse.

Giving unsolicited advice to the lady with the gland thing is sounding better and better.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-23-20, 03:53 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Giving unsolicited advice to the lady with the gland thing is sounding better and better.
I know, right?
Old 01-23-20, 03:55 PM
bampilot06

Actually just got out of a marriage counseling session. I think it would be important for them to figure that they need that themselves. I would hope most couples would try this before throwing in the towel.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 01-23-20, 04:12 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
¼ in. size flakes usually signal the end is near.
You're right. It changed over to drizzle and has been that way for quite awhile. The forecast is for it to change back to snow tonight, drizzle again tomorrow and then snow again. As long as it doesn't change to freezing rain, I'll take it.

Old 01-23-20, 04:14 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
I kinda figured it was bare steel, but chrome has more swag.
And more weight.

Old 01-23-20, 04:20 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts

I would consider the likelihood of the marriage failing on it's own vs. you getting involved. If you can improve the chances of success, why wouldn't you contribute? If the mere suggestion from a close relative puts things into a tailspin, then it was probably headed south anyway.
Old 01-23-20, 04:36 PM
BillyD
Administrator

You don't want to invade their privacy, it's embarrassing, let the SIL do it. Your SIL shared the news with your family, otherwise you wouldn't even know, so apparently your SIL is in touch with the young couple. I would ask the SIL to make the recommendation to the couple, adding that said counseling proved very helpful to you guys. She might also add that it might be possible for them to call you guys for more details of your experience, if desired.
Old 01-23-20, 04:56 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by BillyD
You don't want to invade their privacy, it's embarrassing, let the SIL do it. Your SIL shared the news with your family, otherwise you wouldn't even know, so apparently your SIL is in touch with the young couple. I would ask the SIL to make the recommendation to the couple, adding that said counseling proved very helpful to you guys. She might also add that it might be possible for them to call you guys for more details of your experience, if desired.
I was thinking that too. But sometimes kids dismiss what they hear from their parents, even if it's good wisdom. I know mine do!
Old 01-23-20, 04:59 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
You'd better up your butter consumption then.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...dwide-country/
I do not have a $700+ account at statista.com
Old 01-23-20, 05:01 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Attention everyone:

you'll be able to go for hours without eating or getting hungry
Old 01-23-20, 05:08 PM
bampilot06

oat meal makes the same promises. I find them broken promises.
Old 01-23-20, 05:09 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts

Woof - I tend to think that an ultimatum (or threat) is the end, because it signifies that the person is not really committed. However, it's certainly better to give counseling a shot than just throw in the towel. My concern with counseling is always that you're just getting one more person's values in the mix, which may not work for EITHER person in the actual relationship. If it helps them get to an understanding, then great, but I'd always wonder why two people who are able to get to a good place can't figure it out on their own.

AG and I had some friction while getting used to each other, but not nearly like this couple. And it was before we got married; I don't understand how that changes things, because it didn't for us. We're not normal, though.
Old 01-23-20, 05:11 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
I would consider the likelihood of the marriage failing on it's own vs. you getting involved. If you can improve the chances of success, why wouldn't you contribute? If the mere suggestion from a close relative puts things into a tailspin, then it was probably headed south anyway.
Also this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.