Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New from Seattle!

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

New from Seattle!

Old 05-29-20, 10:49 AM
soccerpk6

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
New from Seattle!

Hello to all!

I'm new here and not new to biking, just returning from a long vacation haha. Haven't biked since I used to ride my single gear Haro BMX bike before I could drive. Trying to get back in shape with all the gym closures and no organized team sports and figured I'd pick up casual cycling. Searched for a few months as there was so much that I needed to know before purchasing a bike.. kind of like a car in some ways (parts, year, etc.). Wasn't comfortable shelling out $1,000+ for a new bike that I wasn't sure I'd use or even enjoy for that matter. Picked up a garaged 2013 Specialized Allez Elite for a price I was comfortable with. Came two water bottle holders, Cateye 7, rear pouch, bike tool, clip pedals, and some others.. so I feel like I came out ok after all was said and done.

Excited to be hear and learn and share from/with the community and hopefully I'll be riding for a while! Just picked up the bike and put 25 miles on it over the past 2 days.. did one hill ride near Seattle yesterday and was about 12 miles.. forgot how much of a leg workout biking is!

Anyways, happy to be here and starting to bike again! I'll post a picture when I reach the 10 post mark. Cheers!
Old 05-29-20, 04:17 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
Welcome back into riding! Definitely post when allowed.
Off-topic: You're probably a Sounders fan?
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 05-29-20, 05:42 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
a bunch of Puget Sound members.

we rarely get together for a group ride.

i think we mostly buy and swap bikes/frames/components from each other.
Old 05-30-20, 09:47 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Howdy!
Likes For Rage:
Old 05-30-20, 04:09 PM
oceanstaterider

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1988 Cannondale ST 700

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome!
Likes For oceanstaterider:
Old 06-09-20, 10:02 AM
soccerpk6

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you!

And yes,definitely a Sounders fan!
Likes For soccerpk6:
Old 06-09-20, 10:03 AM
soccerpk6

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
a bunch of Puget Sound members.

we rarely get together for a group ride.

i think we mostly buy and swap bikes/frames/components from each other.
That's awesome! If y'all ever get together, let me know!
Old 06-09-20, 10:36 AM
soccerpk6

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here's a picture of the new ride! Got new tires, chain, and tuneup since this. So far so good though! Might look at upgrading a few things already though haha.

​​​​​​​
Likes For soccerpk6:
Old 06-09-20, 11:10 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
There is lots of us here from Seattle and the Pacific Northwest as a whole. Welcome! There is just so much good riding here. Don't be shy about asking. There are places for every skill level & ability.

Some stick to the paved & full Burke-Gilman, Sammamish River Trail, 520 & I-90 trails. But we also have less full Green River trail, Cedar River Trail, Interurban Trail (Seattle to Everett & Tukwila to Pacific/Algona), The Duwamish Route...& many smaller paths to connect the big ones to where you want to go.

If you decide gravel is your thing, we have plenty of unpaved trails too. Issaquah-Preston Trail & Sammamish Valley Trail, The Palouse to Cascade/Iron Horse/John Wayne Trail, Tolt-Pipeline Trail, come immediatly to mind. There is no shortage of forest service roads either.

If you decide that regional trails are not necessarily your thing, there is no shortage of good rural roads with decent shoulders & low-ish traffic.

Cascade Bicycle Club is the biggest cycling organization around & is a good resource for group rides, commaraderie, & geographical knowledge. Their group rides calander is public & has links to routes they have ridden in the past. All free for the riding.

Welcome!

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 06-09-20, 11:34 AM
soccerpk6

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
There is lots of us here from Seattle and the Pacific Northwest as a whole. Welcome! There is just so much good riding here. Don't be shy about asking. There are places for every skill level & ability.

Some stick to the paved & full Burke-Gilman, Sammamish River Trail, 520 & I-90 trails. But we also have less full Green River trail, Cedar River Trail, Interurban Trail (Seattle to Everett & Tukwila to Pacific/Algona), The Duwamish Route...& many smaller paths to connect the big ones to where you want to go.

If you decide gravel is your thing, we have plenty of unpaved trails too. Issaquah-Preston Trail & Sammamish Valley Trail, The Palouse to Cascade/Iron Horse/John Wayne Trail, Tolt-Pipeline Trail, come immediatly to mind. There is no shortage of forest service roads either.

If you decide that regional trails are not necessarily your thing, there is no shortage of good rural roads with decent shoulders & low-ish traffic.

Cascade Bicycle Club is the biggest cycling organization around & is a good resource for group rides, commaraderie, & geographical knowledge. Their group rides calander is public & has links to routes they have ridden in the past. All free for the riding.

Welcome!
Appreciate this! Yeah, I think road is where I'm at for now.. tires on the bike are too narrow for gravel (for my preference).