Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bikepacking in a hybrid - Drops or Flat bars? Clipless or Flat pedals?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bikepacking in a hybrid - Drops or Flat bars? Clipless or Flat pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 06:29 PM
Lughnerson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, start easy and cheap with bar ends. I used to have tingling hands and they worked well. But now I use butterfly bars, aka Trekking bars, like a figure 8 that has the most different hand positions. Probably not good for very rough trails, but great for long voyages.

Another good choice is the Jones SG 2.5 Loop H-Bar (2.5" rise). Check them out at Jones Bikes website. The inventor also has his own bike designs.
Old 08-18-20, 04:00 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
FWIW clipless pedals are not more efficient than platform pedals. There are advantages to clipless, but efficiency isn't one of them.
It's usually what people are referring to when they talk about "pulling up on the pedal" being a clipless/toeclip advantage over flat pedals. What else could that mean?
Old 08-18-20, 04:08 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
It's usually what people are referring to when they talk about "pulling up on the pedal" being a clipless/toeclip advantage over flat pedals. What else could that mean?
Bunny-hopping, more control over rough terrain, etc.
Old 08-18-20, 06:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Consider Power Grips and lightweight hiking boots you can walk in & protect your ankles..

https://www.powergrips.com/
Old 08-18-20, 07:29 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by CalebPlewe
I am planning a 2-day 300 mile ride next summer. I have a 2014 Trek FX 7.1 hybrid bike and even on my 15 mile rides my wrists get sore from being in one position the whole time. Should I invest in some drop handlebars to give myself multiple positions? Or is it just as effective to buy some used bar-ends and throw those on my current bars?

On the question of pedals - Should I invest in clipless? There is also the cheaper route with the old strap in pedals. Does anyone still use those? Both give the ability to pull up on the pedals, but is one better than the other?

I cant find a bikepacking forum so I came to the general section.
I'm the guy who always chimes in about swept bars. I think with flat bars, it's not just about being in one position, but being in one uncomfortable position. Having three uncomfortable positions doesn't strike me as much of an improvement. On the other hand, it seems like I can ride for quite a long ways on a swept bar. For instance I took a 30 mile ride on Sunday, and my wrists were the last thing that bothered me. In contrast, flat bars seem to pound the hell out of my wrists, and are painful after even less than a mile.

With that said, if you find that drop bars are actually comfortable, in my opinion you belong to a lucky minority and should give them a try.