Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

what makes a bike a "gravel" bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

what makes a bike a "gravel" bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 04:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Many gravel bikes are road bikes with bigger clearance. If you would like to see a gravel bike that is harder to pin down, take a look at the Cutthroat or the Chamois Hagar
Old 08-20-20, 05:40 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
gravel for real gravel..

A pic of my 35c shod KHS 223. A bit heavy with the gear but since the only southerly route starts two miles from home and runs eight miles with zero houses or anything (on the 8 mile dirt stretch) but woods and hills I pack plenty of tools and kit. No way would I try that 30 mile loop with my Canyon or Ironman road bikes.
Likes For grayEZrider:
Old 08-21-20, 06:12 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
Idk what to tell you, really. What you're calling the "toughest gear" isn't tough while you're at speed. The resistance at the pedals is the same at 35 mph in my 52x11 as it is at 17 mph in my 36x16. It's just a matter of whether or not you reach that speed with assistance from the terrain, the wind, or some other external factor.

When I lived near the Allegheny mountains, my road bike had a 53/39 paired to an 11-28 x 9s cassette. I got used to climbing in the lowest two gears, and when descending I would always try to spin up to the highest gear. With a little practice, I could easily hit 40+ mph on a descent and carry that momentum as the road leveled off. The strategy was to shift to the 53x11 before the hill ended, and feel for the sweet spot where the pawls re-engage the hub while tucked in and spinning. I don't know that I ever held that pace for more than 90s, let alone 5 minutes, but it sure felt great to try.

Now, I've been practicing spinning higher cadences on my new road bike (52/36 + 11-32 x 11 spd). As the resistance gets lighter, I habitually shift into the next highest gear. On the few downhill stretches where I ride (which are closer to false flats), I've gotten into the 52x11 every time, but I run out of real estate after a minute or so, as the road pitches up again. I was probably in the 80-85 rpm range while feeling out the new bike over the last couple of weeks, so maybe not quite 35 mph (more like 32 mph). In any case, it feels amazing to go that fast, even if it is just for a minute or two.

As long as I can comfortably turn a 52x11 (or bigger), I would never want to limit my top speed with anything smaller. It just feels too good to know that I can turn that gear and go really fast without hamster-wheeling at some ridiculous 100+ rpm cadence. With today's drivetrains, there is simply no need to compromise on gear range nor comfortable steps between the gears.

I suppose if I only rode on gravel my outlook might change, but I like the pavement.
Lol! At first, I was like wow, this guy must be putting down some serious power, but after reading your explanation, I see that, because you’re able to “get” to 52x11, you think you need it. Gotcha. Downhill...for 90 seconds. Lol!
Old 08-21-20, 06:35 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
Lol! At first, I was like wow, this guy must be putting down some serious power, but after reading your explanation, I see that, because you’re able to “get” to 52x11, you think you need it. Gotcha. Downhill...for 90 seconds. Lol!
I can't speak for Boraxkid, but my big charnring is a 50 and on the typical flat level roads around here, 50x11 is my most-used combination. Mile after mile after mile.

I've often thought about trying a 52 bike sometime.

EDIT: It occurred to me just now I should check that little cog in back to see if its an 11 or a 12....

Last edited by Reflector Guy; 08-21-20 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-21-20, 08:27 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
20-30 years ago any rigid MTB with drop bars would be almost identical to what they call "gravel bikes" nowadays. Heavier, but otherwise very similar. I had an '88 Bridgestone MB4 which fit the bill very nicely. Chromoly frame and fork, 18-speeds, 1.6 (40 mm) tires and room for much more .....
Oddly enough today’s gravel bike is going the way those rigid mountain bikes did. Short travel suspension is being added because the hair on the hair shirt gravel bikes is a little too long.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-21-20, 08:30 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
So using that "logic," this is a gravel bike when it's ridden on gravel:

Does it turn into a road bike when ridden on the road?
That bike will go a lot further on pavement than a gravel bike can go on “gravel”, especially here where the “gravel” is rather large...more like rocks.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-21-20, 08:32 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Advertising
Old 08-21-20, 08:47 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Kapusta
“Hybrid” is quite possibly the most asinine - and ultimately useless - term to make its way into the cycling lexicon.
It’s not the term that is asinine. It the bicycles that are marketed under that moniker. The bikes were a horrible idea since they were first put out there. They were supposed to do all the things that mountain bikes could do while also being able to do all the things that road bikes could do. They did neither well.

The term is so broad as to make it meaningless.

All it means is a bike with flat bars that is not an actual mountain bike. It covers everything from fast flat bar road bikes with 23s to a rigid mtb with slicks to clunky, heavy, bolt upright, front suspended cruisers you see in AARP commercials.
The term has become meaningless. “Gravel bike” will eventually become as meaningless, especially as suspension is added to make the ride “better”.

One could just as easily call a “road bike” a drop bar hybrid.

Gravel bikes are just road bikes that don’t suck on gravel. These are the bikes that SHOULD be called “road bike”, but term was already taken by a form of bike that sucks on half the roads out there (and often the better half).
Gravel bikes don’t suck on some gravel. Or, perhaps, they don’t suck on well maintained gravel roads. Once the gravel grows in size or the road is “dirt” rather than gravel or the gravel is deep, gravel bikes quickly reach their limits...just like the hybrids of old. If I were crossing the Rockies on dirt roads, a gravel bike wouldn’t even be my last choice.

Old 08-21-20, 08:59 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
It’s not the term that is asinine. It the bicycles that are marketed under that moniker. The bikes were a horrible idea since they were first put out there. They were supposed to do all the things that mountain bikes could do while also being able to do all the things that road bikes could do. They did neither well.

The term has become meaningless. “Gravel bike” will eventually become as meaningless, especially as suspension is added to make the ride “better”.

Gravel bikes don’t suck on some gravel. Or, perhaps, they don’t suck on well maintained gravel roads. Once the gravel grows in size or the road is “dirt” rather than gravel or the gravel is deep, gravel bikes quickly reach their limits...just like the hybrids of old. If I were crossing the Rockies on dirt roads, a gravel bike wouldn’t even be my last choice.
Not sure what the point was here (not even sure which parts you are agreeing or disagreeing with) but... OK, sure.
Cheers.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-21-20 at 09:23 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-21-20, 09:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I can't speak for Boraxkid, but my big charnring is a 50 and on the typical flat level roads around here, 50x11 is my most-used combination. Mile after mile after mile.

I've often thought about trying a 52 bike sometime.

EDIT: It occurred to me just now I should check that little cog in back to see if its an 11 or a 12....
You are in 50x11 at 90rpm for mile after mile? Or you are in that combo at 60rpm? We are discussing this combo at 90rpm for mile after mile after mile. Borax clarified that he pnly uses it for maybe a minute or two during brief downhill stretches, which completely changes things, but it isnt worth continuing the discussion with him.
With a 28 tire(i assume you ride paved roads based on the gearing and your location), 50/11 at 90rpm is 32.5mph. You are riding that for mile after mile after mile? If at 60rpm, you are then averaging 21.5mph for mile after mile after mile.
Old 08-21-20, 09:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Its a friday, so i gonna go down the rabbit hole of a cycco post!

I dont think I have seen any literature that claimed a hybrid could do all things a mountain bike could do and also do all things a road bike could do. Thats an interesting take and if this is how they were marketed, that marketing didnt reach me back in the early 90s when they were introduced. It still hasnt reach me, actually.

Hybrids that are upright with front suspensions are also called 'comfort bikes' around me. Is that a local term? If so, it should be adopted elsewhere.
You then have-
comfort bike- flat bar with crappy front suspension that rides very upright
flat bar road bike- road bike drivetrain without drops
hybrid- mtb triple gearing with ability to handle wider tires than a traditional road bike

Hybrid doesnt seem to be meaningless, but i agree it is pretty confusing and overlapping.
And sure, 'gravel bike' may end up being the same since as a category it too is quite wide ranging. If so, ok then. So what? It just isnt a big deal if that term ends up being further segmented(it already is- gravel race bike, bikepacking gravel bike, etc).

I havent found my gravel bikes to suck on any gravel roads so far. Ive ridden gravel roads in Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, and Mississippi. The most difficult has been some level B roads in NE IA in the driftless area where there was a bunch of washout along the unmaintained roads. But those are effectively unmaintained dirt roads that have ruts in them...its difficult on any bike.
As for your point that there is a limit to a bike's effectiveness, well sure there is. Thats a pretty obvious point. There is a limit to where you can take road bikes, gravel bikes, and mountain bikes. Just because there is a limit doesnt mean the bike is useless or pointless. That would be an absurd point to hold.
Lastly, if a gravel bike wouldnt even be your last choice for crossing the Rockies on dirt roads, then what would be your last choice? You would rather take a road bike? A tri bike? A track bike?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-21-20, 09:27 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its a friday, so i gonna go down the rabbit hole of a cycco post!
Boldly going we’re too many have gone before.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-21-20 at 09:38 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-21-20, 09:31 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10428 Post(s)
Liked 11,901 Times in 6,096 Posts
Geez, "Need". You don't 'need' a light bike. You don't 'need' a really low gear for climbing. You don't 'need' good tires with low rolling resistance. You don't 'need' brifters. Cycling is full of things we don't 'need', but which we use anyway, and which we like having. I use my 52 x 11 approaching the bottom of hills when I'm going over 35 mph and want to sustain my momentum. I don't 'need' it. But I use it. So, what's funny about that, I wonder?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-21-20, 09:37 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
You are in 50x11 at 90rpm for mile after mile? Or you are in that combo at 60rpm? We are discussing this combo at 90rpm for mile after mile after mile. Borax clarified that he pnly uses it for maybe a minute or two during brief downhill stretches, which completely changes things, but it isnt worth continuing the discussion with him.
With a 28 tire(i assume you ride paved roads based on the gearing and your location), 50/11 at 90rpm is 32.5mph. You are riding that for mile after mile after mile? If at 60rpm, you are then averaging 21.5mph for mile after mile after mile.

90 rpm? No. I never claimed that, so I hope I didn't inadvertently make it appear as if I did.
Old 08-21-20, 09:56 AM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts

okay, buddy. I guess "on the flat" = "downhill" in your world? those are some fine reading comprehension skills you got there!
Old 08-21-20, 10:01 AM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I use my 52 x 11 approaching the bottom of hills when I'm going over 35 mph and want to sustain my momentum. I don't 'need' it. But I use it. So, what's funny about that, I wonder?
I see you are a cyclist of culture as well. As I said in my earlier post, it is EXTREMELY FUN to hold 35 mph after the road flattens out, and that's the whole point of being on the bike. Some people just don't like fun, I guess.
Old 08-21-20, 10:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10428 Post(s)
Liked 11,901 Times in 6,096 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
I see you are a cyclist of culture as well. As I said in my earlier post, it is EXTREMELY FUN to hold 35 mph after the road flattens out, and that's the whole point of being on the bike. Some people just don't like fun, I guess.
Exactly. Who doesn't like going fast?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-21-20, 10:28 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Truth be told, there's always been a battle between the marketing categories of bikes, and regular cyclists who are just looking for the kinds of bikes that we like to ride. My guess is that marketeers perceived a gap in the market, filled it with a new or recycled design concept, and named it after a racing event that didn't yet have a bike named after it.

There's your new category. For most of us, the categories are just an obstacle to finding the bike we want, and are best ignored. The last new bike I bought was sold under more than one category, but it's the same bike, and I didn't change how I ride it, when its category changed.

Moreover, sometimes the public decides that a bike has a better use than its original intended purpose. Lots of people bought early mountain bikes with no intention of riding off road. Those same bikes would probably satisfy a lot of people today, who are steered towards a "gravel" bike. Including me. I don't really have a good excuse for why my bike has 700c instead of 26" wheels, but is otherwise a classic mountain bike with smooth tires and fewer gears, that I ride on pavement.
Old 08-21-20, 11:11 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
My guess is that marketeers perceived a gap in the market, filled it with a new or recycled design concept, and named it after a racing event that didn't yet have a bike named after it.
A brief semi-logical assessment of this : People who want to sell bikes see that there are people who want to buy a kind of bike that are not being sold, so they make and start selling that type of bike. That is in fact, what they are Supposed to do, Far from being a nefarious scheme, that is called a responsive market and it is the goal of a market economy. Recognize a demand, supply the demand, customer and manufacturer are both better off. Sorry this bothers some people.

For most of us, the categories are just an obstacle to finding the bike we want, and are best ignored.
No, for Most thinking people categories are useful short descriptions. The descriptions change, the categories get renamed, but at least in my experience it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to be able to figure them out.

Anyone who cannot find a bike s/he likes because of category titles doesn't know what kind of bike s/he wants, and doesn't know much about bikes. Try learning to read and understand spec sheets, and suddenly the meaning of the category title becomes clear.

"Endurance" bikes are a good example. They started as race bikes with shorter top tubes and taller head tubes, moving the rider's weight more toward the back. Then some became more racy with shorter head tubes, just with clearance for much wider tires. Some stayed relaxed and some went for really wide tire clearance. Look at the progression of the Giant Defy, look at the Caledonia, Cervelo's newest, which has a n aero option (!). But does the category title really keep you from reading the very precise descriptions of what these bikes actually are, which descriptions can be found online from many sources? And are you complaining because before buying a $4K bike you actually have to read a few paragraphs?

And yet .... neither the Defy nor the Caledonia are "gravel" bikes (mostly, through they could pass) nor are they "race" bikes, and while they could be used for either, I think we can all see that if you want to race you get a TCR or an R5 or S5. It is not that hard to figure out .... for many, I guess. But we are all different.

The last new bike I bought was sold under more than one category, but it's the same bike, and I didn't change how I ride it, when its category changed.
Well we are all glad you didn't stop riding the bike when its category changed because it no longer met your needs. I guess this sort of ... proves that you initial rantings against categories were a bit overstated, eh? You seem to have figurrd out how to buy the right bike despite the fact that (as you claim,) categories are just an obstacle to finding the bike we want .... "

Moreover, sometimes the public decides that a bike has a better use than its original intended purpose.
And this bothers you?
Lots of people bought early mountain bikes with no intention of riding off road. Those same bikes would probably satisfy a lot of people today, who are steered towards a "gravel" bike. Including me.
Again, this demonstrates that people are Not hindered by arbitrary "categories" from finding, buying, and riding the bikes of their choice.

I used a rigid MTB ('88 Bridgestone MB4) as a commuter for many, many happy miles, and also took it light-touring and trail-riding. When I looked at it I didn't ask what category it was in, I asked about the components. But ... what do I know.

I don't really have a good excuse for why my bike has 700c instead of 26" wheels, but is otherwise a classic mountain bike with smooth tires and fewer gears, that I ride on pavement.
Probably it has 700c wheels because there is a much wider range of tires available which covers a much wider range of uses.

Not sure how this relates to your irrational hatred of categories, but I am glad you somehow managed to buy the bike you want despite them.

This whole post should be read tongue-in-cheek. One good rant deserves another, and afterwards we can shake hands and admit that we are both very silly sometimes, but that;'s okay .... that;'s just the category into which we fit.
Old 08-21-20, 11:30 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Not sure what the point was here (not even sure which parts you are agreeing or disagreeing with) but... OK, sure.
Cheers.
He is literally the only user on my ignore list. >_<

As for the discussion: I used to think they were a marketing gimmick until I rode one. I agree with what someone said above: they are really the bikes most people should be riding. Comfy, fun, functional, fast enough.
Old 08-21-20, 11:51 AM
cyccommute 

I dont think I have seen any literature that claimed a hybrid could do all things a mountain bike could do and also do all things a road bike could do. Thats an interesting take and if this is how they were marketed, that marketing didnt reach me back in the early 90s when they were introduced. It still hasnt reach me, actually.
Cannondale in the 90s catalog (page 41) has ad copy that says “On paved roads or dirt roads, our fitness bikes are a fun, healthy form of exercise” and show the bike on a grassy double track. The Specialized RockCombo was marketed as drop bar “mountain bike” but was targeted more towards the hybrid side. Vintage Trek doesn’t include the complete catalog for 1990 but that’s when they introduced their “multitrack” line. The 1993 catalog copy for the 7900 Multitrack does say “From technical trails to teeming city streets, put this beauty through its paces and it never breaks a sweat.”

Edit: Trek even now says of their Dual Sport “Dual Sport 3 is a high-performance hybrid bike with upgraded components that stand up to long rides on a variety of surfaces, from city streets to gravel trails and more! ”. The implication is still there that it’s capable of mountain biking as a hybrid.

While I can’t find specific ad copy for all hybrids that states that the bikes “could do everything”, retailers certainly marketed them that way. The name certainly implies that it is a hybrid between road bikes and mountain bikes. As a ride leader, I had numerous people show up at mountain bike rides on a 700C hybrid and then struggle with too tall gears and too narrow tires. I have to send a number of them back home because they couldn’t cope with mountain bike trails nor keep up with the group.

Hybrids that are upright with front suspensions are also called 'comfort bikes' around me. Is that a local term? If so, it should be adopted elsewhere.
You then have-
comfort bike- flat bar with crappy front suspension that rides very upright
flat bar road bike- road bike drivetrain without drops
hybrid- mtb triple gearing with ability to handle wider tires than a traditional road bike
The term “comfort bike” is a manufacturers designation. But hybrids evolved. Gravel bikes are undergoing evolution now as well. There are dropbar roadish bikes and flatbar mountainish bikes. There are bikepacking gravelish bikes and pure racing gravel bikes. Every bike class undergoes some evolution because the manufacturers are tying to get people to buy new bikes. That’s capitalism.

Hybrid doesnt seem to be meaningless, but i agree it is pretty confusing and overlapping.
As a fairly old term, it’s expected that “hybrid” would have a lot of overlap. Back in the early days of hybrids they were horribly expensive...some of the earliest models (usually custom) sold for more than mountain bikes. I consider the term meaningless in that the bikes won’t do what they were originally intended to do. They wouldn’t do that from their inception.

And sure, 'gravel bike' may end up being the same since as a category it too is quite wide ranging. If so, ok then. So what? It just isnt a big deal if that term ends up being further segmented(it already is- gravel race bike, bikepacking gravel bike, etc).
“Gravel bike” will become confused and overlapped as much as other bikes including, but not limited to, hybrids. Mountain bikes started out as a single (or few) model in a bike line. Early on, it was a kind of “go anywhere, do anything” bike (a bit like hybrids but more capable). Then we got cross country mountain bikes, downhill mountain bikes, all mountain, hardtails, full suspension, etc.

I havent found my gravel bikes to suck on any gravel roads so far. Ive ridden gravel roads in Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, and Mississippi. The most difficult has been some level B roads in NE IA in the driftless area where there was a bunch of washout along the unmaintained roads. But those are effectively unmaintained dirt roads that have ruts in them...its difficult on any bike.
I didn’t say that gravel bikes “suck”. I said they are limited. I can take you on roads in Colorado...both on the plains and in the mountains...that would severely test the narrower tires and rigid nature of any gravel bike. I had to look up “level B” because I’m not familiar with the term. That sounds like about 20,000 miles of roads within a 100 mile radius of me. I could also find another 20,000 miles of roads...not trails but roads...would have an even lower classification than “...receiving a lesser level of maintenance”. This is a fairly common example of a pretty good dirt mountain road

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

There are ones that are much, much worse. Eastern Colorado has lots of roads that are either deep gravel or even blown out sand dunes. Rigid bikes do very poorly in either of those mediums. Suspension allows better control and is less likely to throw the rider off the bike because the front wheel rides up and over the kind of stuff instead of digging in to them and bogging down.

As for your point that there is a limit to a bike's effectiveness, well sure there is. Thats a pretty obvious point. There is a limit to where you can take road bikes, gravel bikes, and mountain bikes. Just because there is a limit doesnt mean the bike is useless or pointless. That would be an absurd point to hold.
The limits become much less as you move up that list. No, mountain bikes may not be the best on pavement but they are capable enough to at least ride some distance on pavement. I’ve ridden one for the better part of a 50 mile day on mixed pavement and dirt. A gravel bike might have been able to handle part of the dirt but not all of it...at least at much over walking speed. Going downhill riding the brakes because the bike isn’t capable of handling the road is frustrating. I’ve watched people on gravel bikes creep down rocky descents that can ride a mountain bike through at 15+ mph. I hate going slow downhill! They might be able to go faster uphill but it’s still uphill and that’s the sucky part of any ride.

Lastly, if a gravel bike wouldnt even be your last choice for crossing the Rockies on dirt roads, then what would be your last choice? You would rather take a road bike? A tri bike? A track bike?
A hardtail mountain bike. The bikes you suggest I wouldn’t even consider at all. I’ve done it on a rigid mountain bike...the “gravel” bike of its day...and paid the price. The outside half of both hands was numb for 6 weeks. I’ve since done similar rides on a softtail with a suspension fork and it’s a lot less damaging to the hands.

Last edited by cyccommute; 08-21-20 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-21-20, 11:58 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Many years ago my spouse and I went on a hiking trip in the "pre-Alps" of France. We rented the cheapest car we could get. It was late in the season, so all of the "gravel" roads were at various stages of being washed out. Our strategy evolved thusly: We'd drive until we thought the road was no longer passable in our little car, park at the next clearing, and start hiking.

Invariably, we'd reach the trail head, and there would be parked cars. Almost all of them were old 2CV's. So for everybody's "gravel," there's a bigger gravel waiting for you around the bend.

In my neck of the woods, if you get high enough to reach that kind of gravel, you're airborne.
Old 08-21-20, 12:01 PM
cyccommute 

You're trying to redefine gravel to an extreme outlier, like baby heads.

A gravel bike does just fine on gravel fireroads, traditional MTB routes, as well as a bunch of singletrack.

They are more capable than you can imagine, apparently.
Your “fire roads” must be a lot smoother than the ones in my area. Honestly, we don’t have “fire roads”. Ours are more logging, stock, or 4x4 roads than something built during a fire or for mitigation.

They may be capable but there are more capable bikes available. We could all wear hair shirts and ride saddles made of nails but most don’t have that kind of dedication.

Whether a gravel bikes sucks when the roads become unmaintained depends a great deal on the rider.

Lots of folks can ride gravel bikes on roads(trails even) that aren't maintained. Underbiking is a fun way to mix things up.
I assure you that I could ride most anything on any kind of bike...I’ve been mountain biking from the first days...but I wouldn’t find it enjoyable. Bicycling on rocky roads is already hard enough without adding those hair shirts and nail saddles.

Old 08-21-20, 01:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
From your sig:

"This is where the route is stupid. The trail is a rock strewn 200 foot drop in around a tenth of a mile with 16% pitches. "

Despite you making this out to be a big deal, it's nothing of the sort. It's prime gravel bike material.
The photo you show sure doesn't look like a 16 percent incline. Could it be you cherry-picked the best section and he cherry-picked the worst?

It matters, because the worst is the limiting factor. It is no good if I can do fine on the easiest 95 percent and die on the tough bits.

Anyway .... not sure quite what people are fighting over, here. one person says that mountain bikes do better on tougher terrain than gravel bikes .... and? Seems obvious, doesn't it. Another person says gravel bikes can go anywhere .... yeah, and if I carry it a lot, a tricycle can, too. The point is what amount of suffering one will tolerate. And each of us has a different threshold.

Not quite sure about the nature of the dispute, except that we tend to be competitive people.
Old 08-21-20, 02:34 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by wilson_smyth
is "Gravel Bike" another category created by marketing, or a genuine thing?
I ask as I have what was sold as a commuter, its a cube sl road race 2020.
Its got a slightly relaxed geometry, shimano 105's 700 shifters, cassette, derailleur, deore hubs, shimano BR MT200 disk breaks all round, 40mm knobbly schwable tires.

On giving my mates "gravel" bike a go (a GT Grade Expert), the spec was almost identical. The geometry was almost identical, much certainly closer to my bike than a full on road bike. The ride felt similar.
Apart from my straight bar and his drop bar, a blindfold cycle test would struggle to tell them apart ( and probably result in injury!). His was also 500 quid more expensive and im not sure why.

But it raised a question, if his is a "gravel bike" and mine is a "commuter", is the bars the only real difference?
Is the definition too loose to allow a proper definition of "gravel bike", or commuter for that matter?
the uber cool well researched name..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.