Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2020 SuperSix EVO Seatpost Creak

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

2020 SuperSix EVO Seatpost Creak

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-20, 06:25 PM
abidbodal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwc10
So...update. I bought some Marine grease at Lowe's. I used it liberally not lightly (on the advice from a good friend who has worked on bikes for years). I now have ridden it twice. The first ride was for about ten miles (30 minutes all out)...no creaking. The second ride, yesterday, I rode 32 miles (about an hour and 40 minutes) on several different roads from freshly paved to desperately needing work) and NO creaking again! So, two plus hours of riding in and no creaking on several different types of roads. For those of you who have this bike, give it a shot! So far, it has worked for me.

I tried to post a pic of the one I purchased, but I don't have 10 posts, so I cannot post pics. Just google Lucas Oil Marine Grease and it will come up in your search. It cost all of $7. Definitely worth the investment.
I searched on Amazon for the Lucas oil marine grease and I found a couple different:
- Lucas Oil 10315 3fl oz. Grease Combo Pack (2) X-tra HD, (1) Red N Tacky, 3 fl. oz, 1 Pack :

- Lucas Oil 10682 Marine Grease - 3 oz (Pack of 3)

Which one are you using?
Old 05-07-20, 05:52 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Slightly off topic, but while we are venting on our 2020 Supersixes I am experiencing another issue. Mine is the non- high mod version. I bought the 105 model and swapped over the Di2 group from my 2018 Synapse. I also swapped over my Campy Bora One tubular wheels. I love the bike. Huge difference from the Synapse. The problem is a rubbing on the front brakes when standing with left pedal at 6:00 position. It has been worked on multiple times by two different Shimano certified mechanics, to no avail. The shop I bought it from got a replacement fork from Cannondale and I hope that settles the issue but I am not hopeful. My theory is that the bike was designed around the high mod flex and the lower end model I have has more flex, leading to the rubbing.The sound only lasts a half second, but is not acceptable.
It is hard to find any other posts on this issue but I can’t imagine mine is an isolated one.

Thanks
Old 05-19-20, 06:47 AM
reinavi

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnUSA
Not really. I just put more carbon paste on the seatpost and the creaking is far less frequent, but still there.
Same problem here in Italy. Which carbon paste did you use?
Old 05-19-20, 09:28 AM
mwc10

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reinavi

So, my creak ended up coming back even with the marine grease. :-(

I learned a new trick from Cannondale. If you have an aluminum seat post going into a carbon frame:
  • Pull the post and carefully remove the clamp assembly
  • Clean the post and clamp thoroughly
  • Clean the inside of the frame thoroughly (twisting a clean tightly wound rag lightly damp with some windex works well)
  • Apply some grease (I used Marine Grease) to both sides of clamp, and all moving parts on clamp.DO NOT apply any grease to the seat post at this point.
  • You can apply carbon paste to the back of the seatpost only if it’s needed.
Old 05-19-20, 09:34 AM
reinavi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwc10
So, my creak ended up coming back even with the marine grease. :-(

I learned a new trick from Cannondale. If you have an aluminum seat post going into a carbon frame:
  • Pull the post and carefully remove the clamp assembly
  • Clean the post and clamp thoroughly
  • Clean the inside of the frame thoroughly (twisting a clean tightly wound rag lightly damp with some windex works well)
  • Apply some grease (I used Marine Grease) to both sides of clamp, and all moving parts on clamp.DO NOT apply any grease to the seat post at this point.
  • You can apply carbon paste to the back of the seatpost only if it’s needed.
I have carbon seatpost... How it is possible to contact Cannondale?
Old 05-19-20, 09:58 AM
JohnUSA

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally I had used a tube of Finish Line carbon paste.

Next, I tried some FSA carbon paste that came with the bike. The FSA carbon paste (it is pink in color) seemed to work better than the Finish Line carbon paste, but I only got a small amount of it with the bike.
Old 05-19-20, 10:07 AM
mwc10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have carbon seatpost... How it is possible to contact Cannondale?
I just called the number on their website.
Old 05-23-20, 04:33 PM
GeroGuitarrero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same issue. Removed and reinstalled seatpost according to specs many times, even took out, cleaned, and reassembled the whole clamping thing including the nut plate. Bolt and all non-clamping surfaces are greased, and relevant surfaces are coated in carbon paste (Muc Off). After each reinstall, it’s quiet for 5 km or so, then the creaking comes back.

I actually have a solution that does work – using toothpaste (one of these black charcoal ones) eliminated all the creaking (and slipping, which I’ve had initially, even at slightly more than 6 nm torque). BUT the toothpaste made the seatpost stick so much in the frame that I was worried it will glue together too much and at some point, upon removal, I would break something. If you’re not worried by this as much as I am, give toothpaste a try. I’ve read that hairspray will work as well but never tried it.

Gero
Old 06-03-20, 06:27 AM
Pete2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I have the same issue with a creaking seat post on super six and going through the same attempts to fix it.

Did grease all over work for the guys that tried it - and for how long?

I'm working out if I need to return the bike for a refund or if it can be fixed! Like others, I love the bike but not the creak....!

Any help much appreciated....
Old 06-03-20, 06:45 AM
ADIHEAD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grease doesn't work. However, after 10 months although I didn't ride over late autumn/winter finally the dealer has fixed mine! New clamp and carbon post, which was an upgrade on the aluminium one supplied with the bike. Thankfully the dealer got all this covered under warranty as he was unable to fix the problem, using the original aluminium post.
Old 06-03-20, 07:39 AM
Pete2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ADIHEAD
Grease doesn't work. However, after 10 months although I didn't ride over late autumn/winter finally the dealer has fixed mine! New clamp and carbon post, which was an upgrade on the aluminium one supplied with the bike. Thankfully the dealer got all this covered under warranty as he was unable to fix the problem, using the original aluminium post.
Great - do you have any details or part numbers for the replacement parts, please? Is it a known warranty fix?
Old 06-03-20, 08:20 AM
ADIHEAD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

I've got no paperwork I'm afraid, but there's only 1 clamp available and 2 seat posts - knot aluminium and knot carbon SL. The dealer dealt step by step with Cannondale UK's sales department. I gather the technical department in the UK have been furloughed, but maybe that's changed?
Old 06-03-20, 08:26 AM
Pete2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ADIHEAD
Hi

I've got no paperwork I'm afraid, but there's only 1 clamp available and 2 seat posts - knot aluminium and knot carbon SL. The dealer dealt step by step with Cannondale UK's sales department. I gather the technical department in the UK have been furloughed, but maybe that's changed?
Thanks - is the clamp on the top of the frame as well as the wedge mechanism, pls? Any chance of a photo?
Old 06-03-20, 09:10 AM
bewybnic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2020 supersix during the first weeks. One night I cleaned the bike while it was hanging vertically and decided to loosen the clamp and torque it again. While doing that I heard a click, like something adjusting it's position and ever since the creak is gone. Sounds strange but it could be that the clamp is not positioning correctly in a horizontal position.
Just hang the bike vertically, loosen the bolt and torque it again. Maybe it also helps for you guys...
Old 06-09-20, 10:43 AM
tehninjo0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am having the same issue. It is so bad I went back to riding my previous gen S6 when I go on group rides. On a whim, I took the post out while cleaning the bike the other day and applied a healthy amount of super thick winter chain lube (consistency almost as thick as honey) in place of the grease on the forward side of the sliding clamp. I put enough for a small amount to work its way through and around the nut base. This seems to have solved the creak (about 2h ride time with 0 noise so far). Unfortunately, the post now slips. I'm going to my shop later today to pick up some carbon paste, clean everything out, reapply lube and carbon paste and try again.
Old 07-08-20, 03:32 PM
makaiolani

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone gotten their warranty claim resolved regarding this creak? I've tried everything. I really like this bike but my brand new bike with 100 miles sounds like a 20 year old carbon bike.
Old 07-08-20, 07:10 PM
tehninjo0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by makaiolani
Has anyone gotten their warranty claim resolved regarding this creak? I've tried everything. I really like this bike but my brand new bike with 100 miles sounds like a 20 year old carbon bike.
​​​​​​
If the diy fixes don't work, have your dealer talk to their territory rep. Cannondale has an internal document on how to fix the issue that they will share with their dealers. The shop I go to was able to resolve the issue for every bike that has rolled through there that had the issue. Before you ask no I don't know what the fix is, they fixed it for me and that's all I care about.
Old 07-08-20, 10:04 PM
makaiolani

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tehninjo0
​​​​​​
If the diy fixes don't work, have your dealer talk to their territory rep. Cannondale has an internal document on how to fix the issue that they will share with their dealers. The shop I go to was able to resolve the issue for every bike that has rolled through there that had the issue. Before you ask no I don't know what the fix is, they fixed it for me and that's all I care about.
My dealer tried to fix it and contacted cannondale. He's going to try and put a claim through. I'm just wondering if anyone got the warranty claim.
Old 08-24-20, 12:30 AM
reinavi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tehninjo0
​​​​​​
In Cannondale website there is the Supplement Owner Manual that I used in May and the situation is already improved. Do you think that the "internal" document you are referring to is a different one?
Old 09-19-20, 04:20 AM
KOslo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clamp Orientation

I suspected the clamp orientation could be a factor as well given that the noise was less when I happened to tighten it vertically (the clamp is a bit awkward to position when the bike is sitting horizontally). After visiting the dealer to get help with this issue where they tried all kinds of grease options to no avail (it was making popping noises like mad after), at home I removed the seat post, took out the clamp completely, and then put it back with the bike in a near vertical position. Then I slid the seat post in and tightened. No noise at all. Time will tell whether this "fix" lasts though.

Last edited by KOslo; 09-19-20 at 04:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-21-20, 03:22 PM
BlackMambaNYC
GO LAKERS

Bikes: 2020 Supersix EVO 105, 2020 TBT Single Speed

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
I've been dealing with the same issue with my Supersix EVO 105 with rim brakes. The creaking noise has been there since day 3 of owning the bike and it has been frustrating to say the least. My LBS recently put a piece of cardboard inside the seatpost/clamp area and it has solved the issue for the time being. I've ridden ~100 miles with no noise. Will report back in a few weeks.
Old 09-28-20, 07:00 PM
D.NYC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackMambaNYC
I've been dealing with the same issue with my Supersix EVO 105 with rim brakes. The creaking noise has been there since day 3 of owning the bike and it has been frustrating to say the least. My LBS recently put a piece of cardboard inside the seatpost/clamp area and it has solved the issue for the time being. I've ridden ~100 miles with no noise. Will report back in a few weeks.
Where exactly did your LBS put the cardboard? What size cardboard? Got a photo?
Old 09-28-20, 07:27 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
There are mounting complaints about Trek bikes having the same issue. Perhaps a more flexible seat post would relieve the pressure on that area of the bike, or a saddle with more flexible rails.
Old 09-29-20, 07:04 AM
BlackMambaNYC
GO LAKERS

Bikes: 2020 Supersix EVO 105, 2020 TBT Single Speed

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by D.NYC
Where exactly did your LBS put the cardboard? What size cardboard? Got a photo?
I'm not 100% sure exactly where they put it but my guess is near the sliding clamp right below the seal. Rode 150 miles over the weekend and still no noise. Give it a shot.
Old 09-29-20, 11:29 AM
D.NYC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackMambaNYC
I'm not 100% sure exactly where they put it but my guess is near the sliding clamp right below the seal. Rode 150 miles over the weekend and still no noise. Give it a shot.
I'm intrigued by this solution. I've cut to a size a laminated business card and put Phil Wood grease on the card as well as the seat binder and inside the frame. I hope this works because I have tried everything else. I'll find out on Thursday. To be 100% sure, is it possible for you to ask the bike shop their exact method? This could be a saving grace for all of us here on this thread with the bone chilling Cannondale CRACKING noise at the seatpost. Please let us know. Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.