Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gravel Bike Recommendation

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-22-20, 08:00 AM
tomminator855

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in the market for new bike i've never owned a gravel bike before , would you guys suggest to buy a ready to go bike or built it your self ? i have budget for 1200$ . please help ..
Old 07-22-20, 08:20 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2018), Giant Roam 3 (2021), Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 (2022)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
I'm in a similar situation to you in that I'm eying off my first gravel bike.

I've got my eye on the Giant Gravel Revolt 2 which starts at around $1000 USD and works 'straight out of the box' as most Giant cycles do.
Old 07-22-20, 08:22 AM
tomminator855

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornchips
I'm in a similar situation to you in that I'm eying off my first gravel bike.

I've got my eye on the Giant Gravel Revolt 2 which starts at around $1000 USD and works 'straight out of the box' as most Giant cycles do.
that's what i am looking at it's high on my watch list ,i don't want to spent big money yet
Old 07-22-20, 09:51 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I don't know much about Gravel Bikes as a genre (if that is what it is), but the newest bicycle I have, 2020 Kona Sutra, has been working well on the gravel roads that I encounter, as I explore the roads around my new residence. The 2019 models are still around in shops for sale within your budget and, once the 2021 starts hitting stores, the 2020 model should fit your budget. I believe that all three of these model years are pretty much the same, other than color changes, with the exception that the 2020 model has a chainwheel guard.
Old 07-22-20, 10:02 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
if you just want to ride the rocks and enjoy the weather get yourself a SS ... you can rock & gravel all day for under $1K > i have a REDLINE "MONO" COG with a 2 spd rear hub so i guess it's really not a MONOcog. also take a look at SSs like ALL CITY & SURLEY . Go USED if you can.
Old 07-22-20, 10:16 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
Giant has a proprietary seatpost so I personally would pass on that. I like Jamis; the Renegade S4 is Al, and the Expat LTD is steel.\

As for availability, I don't know...
Old 07-22-20, 10:24 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I'm with DorkDisk.....you gotta take a good look at Jamis for their offerings.
My LBS is a Jamis Dealer and had it not been closed due to the beer virus I probably would own a Gravel bike.....
Old 07-22-20, 11:23 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I bought a Rayleigh Tamland gravel bike a couple of years ago for $799.99 direct to my door from their corporate discount site. Smoking deal, they had it at that price for all of one day. think they are all over $1800 now.
Old 07-22-20, 03:11 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Cannondale Topstone Sora. Lists at $1250.

Good luck finding one. Good luck finding anything.
Old 07-22-20, 03:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Realistically...

You have to say what brands you have in your favorite local bike shop... I Don't Know that..

Its a Hot Market sector , but in the current situation, get what you are lucky to find in the Shops , today...

You might have to pay in advance so it wont be sold as soon as it's out of the carton..

Back to I got an 'X' and I like it.. touts..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-22-20 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-22-20, 09:17 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
As previously mentioned jamis renegade is a great ride. I have a renegade expat and love it. I would suggest steel for general gravel. While I do think other materials have their place, carbon will most likely be out of your price range and I have an aluminum giant mountain bike that rides fine just not as nice as steel.
Old 07-22-20, 11:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by tomminator855
I am in the market for new bike i've never owned a gravel bike before , would you guys suggest to buy a ready to go bike or built it your self ? i have budget for 1200$ . please help ..
At that budget, for sure buy a complete bike. It would take a lot of scrounging and work to build a gravel bike with new components for $1200. The frameset alone will be $500-850 for something entry level. Wheels will be $200-400. Etc etc.
Below are some options to consider that are outside the standard big 3.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribbl...himano-tiagra/
$1050

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/renegades4.html
$1350

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/20-gestalt
$870

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/20-gestalt-1
$1150

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2021-nicasio
$760
Old 07-23-20, 07:51 AM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
I can’t say enough good things about the REI COOP ADV3.1. It’s right at your budget.
I love the thing and it has replaced my road bike and mountain bike. Obviously it’s great on gravel too.
Old 07-23-20, 04:04 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Originally Posted by walnutz
I can’t say enough good things about the REI COOP ADV3.1. It’s right at your budget.
I love the thing and it has replaced my road bike and mountain bike. Obviously it’s great on gravel too.
Oooh, no joke. Looks like exactly what the OP is looking for.

They have them in stock and even have 15% off. throw another 10% on there for the member discount. Will save you enough money to buy something to replace the bar end shifters.
Old 07-23-20, 04:29 PM
walnutz

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

They have them in stock and even have 15% off. throw another 10% on there for the member discount. Will save you enough money to buy something to replace the bar end shifters.
You had me until “replace the bar end shifters “
I have no problem with them, but they seem to be one of those things that people either love or hate.
Old 07-23-20, 05:39 PM
Pop N Wood

Bar end shifters are practically a religion with some people. I don't like big loops of cables out where my front rack should be. I would move them to the down tubes first, or get some thumbies.

I do like the CO-OP bikes. At one point I convinced myself I HAD to have one of their ADV 4.2 bikes. Big burly bad boy, matte finish, huge gears, solid racks, high end components and fat tires. Total zombie Apocalypse bike, But then I realized how much I dislike riding in conditions that need those fat tires and that was that.

Still think that is an amazing bike for the price. i could take this woman out into the wilderness. Pretty sure she could kick my behind though

Old 07-23-20, 05:53 PM
walnutz

Oh for sure, I drool over the 4.2 even though I have no use for it lol.

As for the cable routing, I route it under the bar tape, no problem:

Old 07-23-20, 07:04 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
My buddy just got one from Specialized. Sorry don't know the model but it has an aluminum frame and 105 group. He loves it and I was impressed.
Old 07-23-20, 07:43 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts

How much does it weighs? I know, I know, I used to have an REI Novara Safari. Very comfortable until I found myself pedaling up a long hill. Weight is weight. A cheap steel frame is heavy. I wouldn't say not to buy one, but know that you will be lusting after lighter bikes in six months to a year. I was lucky and my Safari got crushed when I got rear ended on the way home from a ride. Insurance paid for the car and the bike (keep your receipts), and I bought a carbon adventure (now called gravel) bike. Six pounds lighter is six pounds better, even if you can't mount a rack. Bikepacking bags. Racks unnecessary. Buy what you can afford.
Old 07-23-20, 08:04 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Like I said I ride a renegade but my wife has a COOP ADV 3.2. Its an sweet ride she really loves it. As for bar ends the pull ratios on STI shifters is not the same as newer shimano mountian bike derailleurs. So to get the gearing needed for a touring bike you need bar ends or a wolf tooth tan pan to correct this. Plus I'm sure it's a great way for companies to cut cost on a build. I have bar ends on a surly I've had for the about 13 years still going strong.
Old 07-23-20, 08:50 PM
walnutz

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
How much does it weighs? I know, I know, I used to have an REI Novara Safari. Very comfortable until I found myself pedaling up a long hill. Weight is weight. A cheap steel frame is heavy. I wouldn't say not to buy one, but know that you will be lusting after lighter bikes in six months to a year. I was lucky and my Safari got crushed when I got rear ended on the way home from a ride. Insurance paid for the car and the bike (keep your receipts), and I bought a carbon adventure (now called gravel) bike. Six pounds lighter is six pounds better, even if you can't mount a rack. Bikepacking bags. Racks unnecessary. Buy what you can afford.
Weight is listed on the website. The bike it replaced for me was lighter and I don’t miss it at all. I can’t leave my house without riding hills and I still don’t miss it.
As for buying what one can afford, the bike is literally right at his budget...
smh
Old 07-24-20, 04:48 AM
Pop N Wood

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
How much does it weighs?
About $1200 worth.
Old 07-24-20, 05:40 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by walnutz
Weight is listed on the website. The bike it replaced for me was lighter and I don’t miss it at all. I can’t leave my house without riding hills and I still don’t miss it.
As for buying what one can afford, the bike is literally right at his budget...
smh
About $1200 worth.
Both of you are right, of course. I looked at the specs but was distracted. What I meant to say is that I've bought an REI brand bike and it was a heck of a deal. This one looks great and I agree with you.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 07-25-20, 05:12 AM
Pop N Wood

REI's ADV 2.3 is an aluminum frame gravel bike with full Shimano GRX build for $2100. That looks like a well equipped bike. Only slightly weird thing is the dropper seat post on a drop bar gravel bike. Also wish it had more rack eyelets (barnacles) on it.