Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grant Petersen: So Fun to Read, but Rivendell Doesn't Appeal To Me

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Grant Petersen: So Fun to Read, but Rivendell Doesn't Appeal To Me

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 08:33 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
Ah, a noob comes in and starts throwing elbows. Bike Forums is back to normal. Nature is healing....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-20-20, 04:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Interesting to look at the history of bicycle design and how it effects peoples view of them.

Pre war era bicycles had a definite split between utility (Riv Aesthetic) and racing design. Most people identified with utility design.

Post war there was a marrage of utility and race design. Ride to work during the week, race or ramble on the weekend. Raleigh Clubman design and marketing as an example.

Bike boom saw a split again between utility and 10 speed race like orientation.

Lance Armstrong, popularity of TdF etc... everything has gone race design with the new split becoming between road design (race) and off road design (mtb). Utility for the road was basically dropped.

Oddly though, most of the population do not really need, or can maximize, race design. People these days who are average recreational riders are sold design and technology developed and only really helpful for road racing. Lycra kit, $300 helmets, electronic shifting, fragile sub 15lb frames, low spoke wheels, heart rate monitors, power meters, gps linked computers, CO2 cartridges, etc... Consider that most people who buy race designed bikes never enter a bicycle race.

The seduction of all modern marketing suggests: You are important.. What you do is important.. What you use is important... It's a self fulfilling positive feedback loop that ensures consumers keep buying expensive new stuff provided by manufacturers who get their new ideas from elite racing. Otherwise... If what you use isn't so important, perhaps what you are doing isn't so important and... maybe you are not so important either. Ego deflation.

Riv and GP just represent the older, well established and probably more appropriate for most, idea of the utility bike and culture. Some have a hard time with that because they are stuck in the above mentioned feedback loop and see it as being less than.

Absent from this description is the massive numbers of "hybrids" that have been sold over the past few decades. The numbers of those dwarf high end road bike and Rivendell style bikes combined.

My problem with descriptions like that is they generally ignore about 80% of the market because it consists of no true Scotsmen. The vast majority of new bikes sold to adults are sub-$1000. You would never know that reading bf.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-20-20, 05:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I've posted on Rivendell before.

I get parts of it. I agree that if you want a tough, practical frame for utility cycling, steel is still the way to go. I like that they've taken measures to aggressively lower their prices. I think that they offer quality, reliable stuff at a fair price: even their component choices are good compromises between cost and quality. The Rivendell aesthetic may be divisive, but at least it's distinctive and coherent. I can even understand why he advocates friction shifting, pinned flat pedals, Crocs and mustache bars, for some people that stuff makes some sense.

Then you get to the stuff I don't get. The idea that any more than seven cogs is pointless. The anti shifter/brake lever stance. The idea than anyone with their bars lower than their saddle is doing so for style purposes only. The disregard for any cycling-specific clothing. The flat labeling of anything carbon as dangerous. The insistence that clip-in pedals are stupid. Grant's belief that disc brakes, tubeless, direct mount stems... pretty much anything invented after 1979 is worthless. The tone Grant sets that anyone who likes to ride fast "just doesn't get it". The in general "my way or the highway" way of running a business. It's annoying and highly debatable.
I think you've mischaracterized his stance a bit. His point is that a lot of people are being driven away from bicycling because the marketing is pushing the idea that ordinary riding requires people to be kitted out as if they were racing. In his view, people are either being conned into over-spending for features that are unsuitable for the type of riding they're really going to be doing with false promises that these features will make them faster, or they're just not going to take up biking because they don't want to dress up like low-rent astronauts.
Where I think there's a disconnect between his product line and his writing is that much of his "racing is ruining the industry" argument is based on racing mentality creating a high cost barrier to entry for consumers, and his frames being very expensive, containing esthetic features that run up the costs, but probably won't mean much to this theoretical general consumer that's being driven away. To use a car analogy, his argument is basically people are being sold finicky and expensive race cars when they should be sold more appropriate everyday use sedans, but then he builds exquisitely crafted luxury sedans that aren't really built for the general consumer. He's arguing about the entry level, but he's building for the coniseur with a definitely retro sensibility.

As to things he's said that leave me scratching my head, I'll have to paraphrase the one I found absolutely incomprehensible because I am too lazy to find the exact quote--it was something like "if you make shifting too easy, people will shift too much." I don't know what the platonic ideal number of shifts is, but I don't think anyone is spending their rides playing with their shifters because they have index shifting and STI.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-20-20, 07:54 AM
boilermaker1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

My problem with descriptions like that is they generally ignore about 80% of the market because it consists of no true Scotsmen. The vast majority of new bikes sold to adults are sub-$1000. You would never know that reading bf.
This is the difference between people who are "into" something and people who simply do something. Some years ago I read a book called Waiting For the Weekend in which the writer addressed this penchant for turning simple activities into endeavors and working at leisure.
Old 09-20-20, 09:10 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think GP was prescient about some things, in particular I the idea that most people are not well served with the racing-oriented bikes that dominated “road” cycling over the past few decades.

i think Gravel bikes are moving to fill the gap that GP was talking about. Different approach, but addressing the needs.

Reading GPs stuff is what inspired me to build my first “Poor Man’s Riv” back in 2010 (Salsa Casseroll), and that really changed how I viewed road cycling.

It took another 8 years, but I have now also largely abandoned clipless after 20 years of dedicated use.

However, I love disc, and I hope to never own a threaded steerer again.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-20-20, 09:54 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
GP seems to think a bicycle needs to be a bicycle > seems like a practical idea in a world of impractical and superfluous ideas AND if his bikes are too $$$ you can enjoy "Just Ride" for under $10 on Amazon
Old 09-20-20, 10:13 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Absent from this description is the massive numbers of "hybrids" that have been sold over the past few decades. The numbers of those dwarf high end road bike and Rivendell style bikes combined.

Quite true about the hybrid. It certainly was an in - between category that caught fire for a while. But, if you look at modern bicycle "buzz" they are mainly disparaged, even though the exact same concept is championed now as "gravel". Department store bikes also make up the majority of bicycles sold yet are equally denigrated as BSO's on BF. Seriously, the majority of bike riders virtually have no voice in the industry and are mocked by it. No wonder so few riders progress beyond entry level. From the outside, cycling culture is pretty arrogant and elitist. And I say that as someone who has been a part of it for nearly 50 years. I feel the elitist attitude every time I walk into a modern LBS.

My example was just a rough expression of what I see GP reacting or providing a counter balance POV to. One can expand/compare/contrast parts of it (which is fine) but I think the premise holds true. The majority voice of the industry pushes one agenda, GP in his way pushes another.
Old 09-20-20, 10:16 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Where I think there's a disconnect between his product line and his writing is that much of his "racing is ruining the industry" argument is based on racing mentality creating a high cost barrier to entry for consumers, and his frames being very expensive, containing esthetic features that run up the costs, but probably won't mean much to this theoretical general consumer that's being driven away. To use a car analogy, his argument is basically people are being sold finicky and expensive race cars when they should be sold more appropriate everyday use sedans, but then he builds exquisitely crafted luxury sedans that aren't really built for the general consumer. He's arguing about the entry level, but he's building for the coniseur with a definitely retro sensibility.
Sorry for the non multi quote but just caught this. I very much agree. While he does talk about making cycling more simple his business boutiques the experience. Even still I'm glad he's there to provide the counter point.
Old 09-20-20, 11:55 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by boilermaker1
This is the difference between people who are "into" something and people who simply do something. Some years ago I read a book called Waiting For the Weekend in which the writer addressed this penchant for turning simple activities into endeavors and working at leisure.
See the Discussion List, "Fifty Plus (50+)" for numerous posts and threads dedicated to fetish-like obsession with bicycling "performance" (speed, mileage, "dropping" (or being dropped by) strangers, pain IS gain "training" routines, etc.) from retired people who give, at best, lip service to leisurely bicycle riding.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-20-20, 12:13 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Those are some of the ideas/trains of thought that might find some seeking a simpler, user friendly approach to cycling. Conversely, some would argue that the most modern iterations of equipment are also user friendly in the sense that it is very easy to slap a credit card on the counter of an LBS to purchase parts or service. Two different ways of looking at it. Access to disposable income, and the inherent value placed on self sufficiency or ability to problem solve would tend to sway the individual. I couldn't argue one way or the other.
And I'm so glad that there is room in bike riding for both.
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-20-20, 01:16 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
I am relatively new to this forum and am a returning rider, having got my bike off the hanger in the garage last fall and got the bug this summer. I read Just Ride, having found it on Kindle. I found it enjoyable and entertaining. I learned things from it and tended to agree with his Unracer philosophy because that fits where I am at with bikes, I am never going to be a racer.I did get the impression that he was criticizing the bicycle industry for their, as we would say in the motorcycle world, race on Sunday, sell on Monday way to sell bikes. That program sells bikes and accessories, and that makes the industry go round. But, from what I see, that is not the only sales program and Petersen sells bikes that fit with his philosophy and is sometimes a rare thing in the business world.Just like the motorcycle industry, the bicycle industry has become specialized—a bike for every nitch.
Old 09-20-20, 04:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
I think the fact it was this persons first post speaks volumes.
Yeah. Pretty obvious what the goal is.
Old 09-20-20, 04:23 PM
indyfabz

Today I finished a 440 mile tour using my Nitto Big racks I got from Riv. Worth every penny. I don’t leave home without them.
Old 09-20-20, 06:01 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Today I finished a 440 mile tour using my Nitto Big racks I got from Riv. Worth every penny. I don’t leave home without them.
For what I suppose you paid for them, I can see why you'd be afraid to let them out of your sight.
Old 09-21-20, 06:17 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Maelochs
For what I suppose you paid for them, I can see why you'd be afraid to let them out of your sight.
Bargain compared to the Beckman racks I got back in ‘99. Unfortunately, those were stolen from my house along with the bike they were attached to.
Old 09-21-20, 06:47 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Grant Petersen is a lightning rod in the industry. He has had and always will have his detractors. Personally, I visit the Rivendell website to look around probably once a month on average. I sometimes read the "Blug" and sometimes the "Blahg".

The thing I respect about Grant is that he is pretty transparent generally and is honest about his feelings. It seems his company is frequently on the edge of profitability and he tells it like it is. It's hard to run a business in great times, I cannot fathom the added burden placed on small business at this time.

I've never owned a Rivendell, but would love to. Let me share a quick story that happened a few years ago. I was traveling for work and had to pass through a town about 2 hours north of St. Louis. Because I knew I was headed that way I jumped on Craigslist just to see if by chance anyone that way was selling any bikes or bike parts. Kill two birds with one stone since otherwise I would have no desire to travel just for a purchase.

So as it turns out there was a fellow advertising some vintage bicycle components and some of what he displayed in the ad was of interest. I stopped in to meet him, a super-nice man, and he took me to his basement shop where he stored his bikes and bike parts. He had several very nice bikes including a custom-made tandem he and his wife rode. And among the other bikes was a Rivendell Atlantis. It was a few years old and was the first one I'd seen in person. It was gorgeous. Every detail was perfect, the lugs were beautifully done, not even a hint of any slop at the shore lines. The paint was immaculate and just the perfect colors. I was super impressed. Not many bikes have caused that sort of reaction.

The other thing I'll say is in all my years of perusing Craigslist, I have yet to find anyone selling a Rivendell. I think the owners tend to keep them and pass them down. And you can do that with a Rivendell. They may not be cheap but if you care for them they'll be around long after the carbon and even aluminum bikes. So they are an investment. Can you buy steel-framed bikes cheaper? Of course. But if you want a Rivendell, you want a Rivendell.

Some don't understand that. I do.
Old 09-21-20, 07:02 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Bargain compared to the Beckman racks I got back in ‘99. Unfortunately, those were stolen from my house along with the bike they were attached to.
Not to mention no one bats an eye at $1000 wheels but a $400 or so in racks and it's wow those are expensive.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 09-21-20, 08:29 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Not to mention no one bats an eye at $1000 wheels but a $400 or so in racks and it's wow those are expensive.
Most people, including most bicyclists, might bat both eyes at complete bicycles costing over $1000. The enthusiasts and bicycling mavens who are aware (let alone care) of the existence of Grant Peterson or Rivendell Bicycles are not necessarily representative of the bicycling population outside of the insular confines of Bike Forums.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-21-20, 08:35 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
It's a free county. All riders and bike makers can find a niche. Have not been to the site in a while. He lost me at rim brakes and 1" headtubes.
Old 09-21-20, 08:36 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
I enjoy Riv's blug, blaug, overall ethic and reports on operation of the business; have seen several of their bikes and, while impressed by the construction, not interested in acquiring one at this time since "90's" or so steel frames are adequate now. Might purchase a couple for my wife and me at some time in the future since she likes their lines and it would be fun to try them for mild off road and.around town type use.
Old 09-21-20, 09:29 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Most people, including most bicyclists, might bat both eyes at complete bicycles costing over $1000. The enthusiasts and bicycling mavens who are aware (let alone care) of the existence of Grant Peterson or Rivendell Bicycles are not necessarily representative of the bicycling population outside of the insular confines of Bike Forums.
We’re posting on an enthusiast website I care not one iota what bob two houses down thinks.
Old 09-21-20, 10:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

No one? Seriously?
Old 09-21-20, 10:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

We’re posting on an enthusiast website I care not one iota what bob two houses down thinks.

Plenty of people on this site would bat an eye at a $1000 wheelset, especially in the General Cycling forum.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-21-20, 10:17 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Why do people brag about their ignore list?

Honestly, what do you gain by that?

Oops, guess I just made the list, huh Francis.
You'll never be on my ignore list. But watch yourself...
Old 09-21-20, 10:36 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Plenty of people on this site would bat an eye at a $1000 wheelset, especially in the General Cycling forum.
B-b-but those kind of people and their posts, alleged "goals" and thoughts are apparently unworthy and held in contempt by the would-be Kool Kidz of BF, eh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.