Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

cycle computers

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

cycle computers

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-11, 10:53 AM
aceofspaids

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cycle computers

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive and simple cycle computer (preferably wireless)? All I am interested in is MPH, distance, and time. If it does more that’s cool, until it gets complicated to use, then it’s a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-21-11, 11:08 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Walmart used to sell a little computer for $9.32 that did all that. It's not wireless. I think they marketed it under the Schwinn name. I haven't looked to see if they still sell it, but I put one on my winter bike a few years ago and it works great.

Last edited by Thulsadoom; 03-21-11 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-21-11, 11:24 AM
xyzzy834

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's tough to beat the Cateye Enduro 8 for an inexpensive touring-tough basic cycle computer. It's less than $30 or so.
Old 03-21-11, 11:26 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by aceofspaids
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive and simple cycle computer (preferably wireless)? All I am interested in is MPH, distance, and time. If it does more that’s cool, until it gets complicated to use, then it’s a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance!
I strongly recommend against wireless. I have owned a few and none were satisfactory.

My companions on the TA used wireless and hated them. They logged miles while in a restaurant if they parked anywhere near the front of the restaurant if there was a neon sign in the window. They also got bogus readings around power lines, electric fences, and other stuff.

My advice is just go with a nice wired unit. The ones listed as mountain bike computers tend to have a heavier duty wire if that is what your concern is. The Cateye Enduro 8 is a nice one.

Sorry but I can't recommend a wireless one since none of the ones I have tried were satisfactory.
Old 03-21-11, 11:28 AM
ploeg

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wireless computers tend to have most every feature, so they're a little more complicated than par. They also generally don't turn on automatically when you spin your wheel (which is good; otherwise you drain the computer battery). So if you want something that's simple to use, you need to go wired. Anything by Cateye is fine.
Old 03-21-11, 11:31 AM
aceofspaids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I strongly recommend against wireless. I have owned a few and none were satisfactory.

My companions on the TA used wireless and hated them. They logged miles while in a restaurant if they parked anywhere near the front of the restaurant if there was a neon sign in the window. They also got bogus readings around power lines, electric fences, and other stuff.

My advice is just go with a nice wired unit. The ones listed as mountain bike computers tend to have a heavier duty wire if that is what your concern is. The Cateye Enduro 8 is a nice one.

Sorry but I can't recommend a wireless one since none of the ones I have tried were satisfactory.
good to know, thanks.
Old 03-21-11, 11:51 AM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're going to be using cue sheets, I like the CatEye Strada. It has a second trip distance that's easy to reset after a turn.
Old 03-21-11, 04:26 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Wireless catseye,I've had no problems with mine in 4-5 years.My wireless goes thru batteries faster than my wired ones did.I change them every year now(6 bucks/2 batteries)
Old 03-21-11, 04:38 PM
simplygib

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
Walmart used to sell a little computer for $9.32 that did all that. It's not wireless. I think they marketed it under the Schwinn name. I haven't looked to see if they still sell it, but I put one on my winter bike a few years ago and it works great.
I had one of those and it did work great in winter. The problem was when summer came around. When the unit got hot the display would black out and I would be riding in the dark, so to speak. When I put it in the shade it would slowly return to normal, but obviously I wasn't riding in the shade much. Finally replaced it with a Cateye Mity 8, which has been great.

Years ago I had an Echo J12 that I found in a surplus store for $5.99. That was a great little computer that worked in all weather conditions and showed cadence as well as speed, avg speed, max speed, odometer, and trip odometer. I had about 15k miles on that little thing when it flew off the mount while I was riding single track a few years ago. Never found it, and don't think they're made anymore.
Old 03-21-11, 08:14 PM
KDC1956

Bikes: Surly LHT 52cm Nice Bicycle I think.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CC-MC100WMICRO WIRELESS this is the one I have and it works great now for two years.Not real cheap but you get what you pay for too.
Old 03-21-11, 09:34 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've not found wireless to be consistent in operation, so I no longer use them. As xyzzy832 mentioned the cateye enduro 8 works great, but is wired. I have one one each bike.
Old 03-22-11, 07:22 AM
Cyclesafe

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never had a problem with my Cateye wireless. 50K miles between several bikes over 6 years. It just won't die. It's actually the one piece of bike kit I've had the longest. No kidding.
Old 03-22-11, 07:41 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
I had a wireless unit. I wanted to use it on the rear wheel so I could put it on the trainer, but the electronic unit had to be really close to the sender and did not work. I then found that my handlebars were too far away from the sender location on the front fork so it did not even work on the front wheel unless I put the computer down lower than the handlebar. No more wireless for me.

I also like the automatic on and off of the wired variety.

I like the wired Sports Instruments SI 90 but the company that made it is defunct so they are no longer available. It had a large diameter wire so you don't break the wiring like on the several older Trek computers I had that had wimpy wiring that easily broke.

If I had to buy a new computer, I would look for one with robust wiring. And one that can be installed on the stem is nice if you have a lot of stuff already on your handlebar.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4907.jpg (101.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-23-11, 06:57 PM
charly17201

Bikes: RANS Formula LE, Giant Escape 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a couple of wireless in the past and didn't like them at all. I go strictly with wired now. So much so that I passed on the one feature I was really wanting - altitude as that was only on the wireless ones that I found.

I got a wired Planet Bike Protoge 9.0 instead. Works well, no buttons to push after the initial set up (less openings for moisture), fairly heavy wiring at about 1/8 in thick. I'm happy with it.

I had the additional issue (with any computer) of trying to get it to work on a recumbent tadpole trike.... no real place to put the sensor close to the spoke magnet. Got this https://www.rei.com/product/736957 - the pic on the web page is like 4 times the actual size - and you can have up to a 20mm gap between the sensor and the magnet.