Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Questions about my Bianchi purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-09, 03:15 PM
fahrrad streber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Questions about my Bianchi purchase

I picked this bike up yesterday and I'm pretty much in love with it. If it gets approval, I think it's time to put the modern aluminum bike on CL.

I would like to know if anyone can take a stab at the year. The serial number is 28754 on the drive side of the BB and 6M on the non drive side.

It also has a dent in the fork. It doesn't seem to effect the bike (fork length or angle) but it didn't make me feel great to find it. Do I need to get an new fork or will it be ok as is. I looked over the rest of the bike and ran over everything with a ruler--everything else appears to be ok.

And it has no downtube stickers (other than logo) or headbadge so I'm thinking it had a repaint. It has part of a sticker under the ST/TT lug. Any insight?

Thanks for the help.

Daniel
Old 12-05-09, 04:01 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Given the condition of that fork, I would look carefully at the top tube and down tube for possible buckling (near the head tube). I would be replacing that fork.
Old 12-05-09, 04:18 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Hi hard to tell the year. the decals look like '83 to '87/'88 depending the model. however I do not see anything in red that came with areo brake levers. what kind of components are those? it could be as you suggested a repaint. I do however agree with wrk101 that you should inspect the headtube area and the dt/tt for damage.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-05-09, 05:20 PM
fahrrad streber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry I forgot to mention the components. Everything is Shimano 105 (not sure if it's original) and the guy who I bought it from was the second owner, had it for about ten years and added the areo levers so they aren't original.

I have yet to see any damage but other than the obvious, I don't really know what to look for as far as further frame damage. Since the dent is on the side of the fork, I was thinking it might have fallen onto something. But then again, I think it would take a lot to dent steel...

And from reading past threads I was thinking the serial might point to an italian built '82. Would an early 80s italian bike come stock with Japanese components?
Old 12-05-09, 08:35 PM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I am far from a Bianchi expert, but I do not think that Italian companies were putting Japanese components on their bikes in the 80's. I also do not like the look of that fork at all - metal fatigue under the cracking paint. Agree -you should check the frame head tube area for damage from an accident. Buy a good replacement chrome fork.
Old 12-05-09, 09:09 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by jacksbike
I am far from a Bianchi expert, but I do not think that Italian companies were putting Japanese components on their bikes in the 80's. I also do not like the look of that fork at all - metal fatigue under the cracking paint. Agree -you should check the frame head tube area for damage from an accident. Buy a good replacement chrome fork.
actually looking through the mid '80s catalogs they are riddled with Japanese components. I think at one time Bianchi and Suntour had joint sponsorships for club teams.

is that all 105 or juat the derailleurs?

A HA! the '85 Nouvo Alloro came in red with that style silver decals. I do not recognize that decal on the seat tube though. it does not look like a tubing brand. so it is possible that sometime during the life of the bike it changed from Nouvo Rec. shift/derailleurs amd Ofmega cranks to the 105. what are the brake calipers and the chainrings?

as for the fork. you need to find a rubber band or a small bungie that you can loop around the front wheel and the downtube below the top bottle boss. that will help hold the wheel inline witht he frame. next lean it against the wal as upright as you can get it. step back a few feet and look closely at the line from the top of the stem to where the fork starts to curve forward. if it looks like the upper part of the fork blades are more upright than the headtube you have a problem. also look the headlugs and tubes for those tiny little cracks. also check the fork ends for really chipped paint and tool marks. I think this blade was bent out to the side, like it tumbled off a roofrack.

nice bike over all though. if the fork is OK should be a real fabulous ride.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-05-09, 11:38 PM
fahrrad streber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info on checking the frame!

Everything is 105--hubs, calipers, cranks/rings, headset...strange to me that there aren't some odd parts thrown in. 6 speed rear cassette.

The dropouts are bianchi and the rims had the stickers taken off so not sure what they are.

Last edited by fahrrad streber; 12-05-09 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-07-09, 12:32 PM
fahrrad streber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I took a careful look at the frame and fork and everything seems ok. The headtube and HT lugs looked great, no apparent stress or separation. The fork angle looked good too--did a visual and ruler inspection. The inside of the damaged fork arm had stress cracks in the paint but I couldn't see any damage to the steel; the fork lugs looked solid on both sides and unaffected. My plan is to take it on some easy test rides and see how it does and if it seems ok, ride it as is until I can come up with a fork for it.

I also looked up the date codes on the components and they all point to 1986. Wrong about the dropouts, rear dropout is gipiemme, front is bianchi. It also has a little bump on the part of the headtube facing the main triangle, I'm assuming that was for a frame pump to run parallel to the top tube--might help to narrow it down in a catalog. Possibly one of these? https://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Cat...anchi-86/4.jpg

Bianchigirl--are your catalogs hard copy or online somewhere?