Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do you use clipless pedals?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Do you use clipless pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 09:47 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Look Delta cleats and road shoes.

+1

But I always wear a helmet.

Old 03-15-10, 10:00 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I use the pedals that would have been used on that particular bike. Most of the time, with a classic race bike, that means clips and straps. With correct shoes, they work very well. I still don't understand why people buy classic bikes and then "improve" them with new parts. C'est la vie.

I do wish I still had my Adidas Systeme Three stuff...

I crashed my brains out a couple of times with the original Look pedals and the red "floating" cleats. Those cleats allowed you to build up rotational momentum on the down stroke, and there wasn't enough retention to prevent your foot coming out when you hit the stop.

I like Grant Peterson's schtick for the most part, but his stance against foot retention is silly. Some type of retention is better in almost every circumstance. I'll buy that few riders are pulling up most of the time, but any experienced rider is going to be pulling up some of the time. He dismisses the importance of that for climbing or accelerating, but his dismissal isn't actually supported by anything he's written. And he also ignores the fact that it is much safer to have you feet attached to the pedals, especially on rough roads.

Oh, and helmets are for noobs and incompetents.
Old 03-15-10, 10:07 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
Not again...
Old 03-15-10, 10:16 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I've seen - first hand - a BF member go down on a restored Specialized Allez at 25mph thanks to a pair of old Look pedals and its cleats. Neither bike nor rider seriously injured.

-Kurt
So how do you figure the pedals were responsible for the crash?

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 03-15-10, 10:26 PM
P4D 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Before I got on a real bike and started riding, I did spin (or cycle) classes in a gym pretty heavily - 5 times a week or so. Those bikes had options, cages or clipless. I started out with cages because I didn't have SPD shoes, and then worked with the SPD. We lobbied and had power meters, computers, the works on those bikes and that is how I learned how best to maximize pedal stroke. I'm not perfect at it, but I did learn how to alternate with push and pull, and I've noticed it helps me on the road.
Old 03-15-10, 10:57 PM
wanlogan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours

I hope you're not serious, especially after that ironic "crashing your brains out" statement. I know an old guy who simply would never wear a helmet, mostly due to styling/weight/wind through-the-hair BS statements.
Wear that helmet!

Anyway, I ride mountain with Crank Bros Candy SLs and Road with Look Keos. They both have a decent platform that allows for temporary riding w/out the cleated shoes. After learning how to clip in, you can pretty much clip in/out with any pedal system. Plus, after a while, (and a few embarassing red-light/stop sign falls) everything becomes intuitive.
Old 03-15-10, 10:59 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
I remember clips and straps and wearing Detto Pietro shoes with TA/Anquetil long cleats. I rode from California to Washington DC in them one summer. They were the best thing going - at the time. But they always had issues, such as:

-- getting the %^#$ cleats attached. The nails that came with the TA cleats were effing useless - and that is being polite. Fortunately, an LBS owner knew the trick - rivet 'em. Problem solved. Bit that still left . . .

-- discovering that Dettos plus slick floors equaled prat falls worthy of Laurel and Hardy. Walking was a chore at the best of times.

-- And let's not forget the numb feet from the tightened down straps. And yes, I installed them the right way.

-- You've been out in the countryside for 30 miles, with the straps tightened and pedaling away with a stupid grim on your face because it is such a lovely day. Now you are comingbak into town, and you come to the first stop light. You hit the brakes because it just turned red and . . . you forgot to loosen the strap. If you are fortunate, you merely scare yourself. If you are not so fortunate, another Laurel and Hardy moment for the cagers' amusement.

That is why I have SPDs on everything I ride. I can get MBT shoes that retain 95% of road bike pedal stiffness (and better than any clip-and-strap combo I used, including using Binda Extra straps) with a recessed cleat that means I can walk on pretty much any surface. I do not have foot "hot spot" issues with them (bit I undersgtand that someone else might, and for them I'd ay try a different clipless system, a la bigbossman). They are far easier to get out of quickly that a tightened down strap (I don't do track stands - never learned how), so they are safer at traffic lights.

So, let's see - the clipless stuff gives me better function and better comfort on the bike, and allows easier, safer walking off the bike. Now the thermonuclear colors of some of today's shoes leave a great deal to be desired (what's wrong with black?), but that aside, I think clipless is the way to go. In fact, if some law was passed that required me to use downtube friction shifting, I could live with that (I'd rather not, but I could readjust). But if there was a similar law banning clipless pedals, I'd start throwing beverage makings into Boston Harbor . . . .

And that, incidentally, is why some people buy classic bikes and then "improve" them. Some modern components simply work better than their classic counterparts. Brakes, for example. And, yes, clipless pedals.

For the sake of civility, I'm going to ignore the helmet comments lest we get stuck in the same time-loop hell that is the A&S "Helmets cramp my style" saga.
Old 03-15-10, 11:07 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Shp4man
Not again...
+1 We need stickies for:

1) Do you use clipless pedals?
2) Do you wear fancy bike clothes?
3) I don't get why people don't like gears?

Of course, that would cut down at least 1/2 of the C&V traffic.

Been using Look Delta/Arc since 1980's and have them on a number of bikes.
Also use SPD mtb, SPD road, and toe clips.
Old 03-15-10, 11:23 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
FYI, helmet debates belong in A&S.

-Kurt

Old 03-15-10, 11:37 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I thought it was pretty obvious that I wasn't being serious. I keep forgetting that this is Bike Forums, where people will take anything seriously.
Old 03-15-10, 11:50 PM
dman-ebike
Bicyclist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My pedals

After looking at countless pedals, I have found the perfect pedal for my Big Foot. After eyeing all the mks pedals and comparing, I decided those aren't big enough. Now don't anyone kick me or step on me for doing this! Ok here's a picture of my pedals. No straps or anything. Rpm is Rpm; the way I see it. Spin up smoothly and go like hell. Its a dk pc pedal. They are very light at only 5.45 oz each:
Old 03-15-10, 11:53 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by dman-ebike
After looking at countless pedals, I have found the perfect pedal for my Big Foot. After eyeing all the mks pedals and comparing, I decided those aren't big enough. Now don't anyone kick me or step on me for doing this! Ok here's a picture of my pedals. No straps or anything. Rpm is Rpm; the way I see it. Spin up smoothly and go like hell. Its a dk pc pedal. They are very light at only 5.45 oz each:
You like what you like. At least you found something that works for you.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-16-10, 12:04 AM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
I thought it was pretty obvious that I wasn't being serious. I keep forgetting that this is Bike Forums, where people will take anything seriously.
Hey - I was hip to it.

I confess - it was my fault, what with my off-hand "I always wear a helmet" comment. But in my defense, I did use the "innocent" emoticon, which I thought was the universally recognized sign of the brown-arm - a skill which I carefully honed and practiced during my 8 year stint in Catholic School.

I can't help it - I'm a troublemaker. TeeHee. Or not.

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-16-10, 12:12 AM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by alexw
C&V people use clipless shoes?
yes
Old 03-16-10, 12:40 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
SPD-SL all the way Bay-Bee. Will never use anything else (of the current crop anyway).
Old 03-16-10, 03:23 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Yup, clipless on everything except the new Trek track bike. Still trying to catch the second pedal.
Old 03-16-10, 04:22 AM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alexw
The fancy clothes thread got me thinking about this a bit. I use SPD clipless pedals, and really dislike riding toe clips or flat pedals with regular shoes. I'm thinking maybe this is uncommon, and not that many C&V people use clipless shoes?
I pulled the Superbe Pro pedals off the vintage ride and sold 'em on eBay. I never could find clips deep enough for a 50+ cycling shoe anyway, and clipless pedals don't care how small/big the shoe is. I run Bepop pedals on the vintage/race/tandem. I no longer run clipless on the mountain bike after an accident where I had a devastating concussion going 1mph when my cleat rotated and I couldn't release.

I use a pair of size 52 Sidi Dominator (mountain bike) shoes regardless of which bike I'm riding. The mountain bike sole may offend roadie purists, but I like being able to walk normally.
Old 03-16-10, 06:56 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
You know, I kinda enjoyed the helmet debate here on C & V because I know the participants to some degree. Opinions associated with personalities are more interesting than opinions in isolation. I rarely open A & S, so most of the people there are complete strangers whose opinions I value less. (Note: Kurt Chip &c, I'm obviously not talking about you).

Anyway, that said, lemme turn to the foot retention thing. Bearing in mind that this is C & V.

I got my first toeclips in 1978, my first bike shoes (Detto Pietro; still have 'em) in 1981, followed by Beta Bikers in '83 (wish I still had those). Moved to SPD's in the late 90's, and now also have two bikes set up with Look pedals. And I must say, all these changes were big improvements, especially the SPD's. Foot retention made a big difference to the way I rode, especially when I was 17; but there came a point when I'd learned it, and now unless I'm doing bunny hops etc I don't really get any benefit from them. I loved that burst of speed I could get by pulling back/up/forward when necessary, but now I spin at a much higher cadence where that benefit is greatly diminished.

In the end I find it depends a lot on the bicycle:
1. On the recumbent I really need a clipless foot retention system; otherwise my feet literally fall off the pedals (that's the Look pedals)
2. On the tandem I need them almost as much; the stoker is apt to make movements I hadn't anticipated, and the SPD's keep my feet secure.
3. My Norman Rapide is almost a museum piece, and I keep it as close to 1950 original as I can, complete with toe clips.
4. I commute on a folding bike, 16 miles by bike and 100 miles by train every day, and it absolutely has to fold up as small as possible. Folding pedals are platform pedals; so in the end, for most of my riding I don't have any kind of foot retention, and I don't miss it in the least. So since I've been riding the folding bike, the SPD's and such have disappeared off most of my bikes.
Old 03-16-10, 07:28 AM
atoms
Señor Member

Bikes: '86 Voyageur, '82 Voyageur SP FOR SALE, '88 Le Tour fixed Townie, 2011 Diamondback Overdrive 29er

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EjustE
I don't use them for a couple of reasons (or so) :

a. I am lazy to learn how to use them and for my life of me I cannot balance a stopped bike at a stop sign or a red light without taking one foot off the pedal and planting it on the ground
b. I like to wear shoes on a bike, that I can walk on if I need to without dealing with all that cleat stuff. Same argument, I like to pop into a bike on a spare of the moment situation...
Yes! I plan to never even try clipless, lest they turn out to be as great as the evangelists claim they are. For me, the more cycling becomes festooned with accessories - clown spandex, cleated footwear, wrap-around martian shades etc, the less integrated it is with everyday life. Biking is how I get around. Requiring special shoes for it is just about inconceivable to me.
Old 03-16-10, 10:06 AM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
In his article he refers to studies where results show efficient peddlers simply push down less than novices on the upstroke. I wish he would have provided links to the studies to back up his claim.
I wish I could find that study today as well but I remember it pretty clearly when it came out in an article in Bicycling! magazine back in the mid 1980's. Everyone was shocked! We were all quite certain that we had been pulling up on the pedal. That included the professional bike racers who were the test subjects. The test rig had sensors in the pedal that measured the amount of force on the spindle in all directions. Throughout the revolution there was always downward force, just less of it at the top of the stroke.

That's not to say there might not be some advantages to unweighting the upstroke leg. It means that the downstroke leg has a little less work to do. Whether this increases the efficiency of riding a bike is still left to conjecture; I don't know of any studies that say it does.

I've been a locked-in, full retention type of rider for the last thirty years and it's what I feel comfortable with. The last two years I've been swapping platform pedals onto my nice bike for certain applications and I haven't noticed any mammoth loss of power or efficiency. Not even a detectable loss. That includes steep hill climbing.

I still enjoy that feeling of engagement when your shoe locks into a pedal at the start of a long ride where you know neither foot is going to touch ground for an hour or more.

On the other hand, when getting ready to commute to work on city streets; I don't mind missing the click.
Old 03-16-10, 10:41 AM
fahrrad streber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a big fan of clipless--the first time I rode with them I could tell a difference in speed and energy exerted. A little over a year into them and I even have yet to fall, but I always clip out for stops.

I use SPD-SLs and the platform is big enough that I can still wear street shoes, so for the around town trips and errands there is no need for the cleats. I've worn everything from five fingers to dress shoes on them--no problem.
Old 03-16-10, 10:50 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Six jours:
Originally Posted by Shp4man
Not again...
I promise to stay out of it.

The guy who showed me how to corner in criteriums, etc is a speed freak; he's won a couple of state championships, so I listen. However, he never could get used to clipless, and he wears 3 straps (yep, 3) on his Campy Record track pedals with Asics track shoes. He can pretty much do a handstand at stoplights, so I guess getting out of them isn't a problem. I've seen him draft a UPS truck at about 45mph, and I'm not sure he can do that without some kind of attachment system.

However, one day, his L pedal simply fell off on a climb, in a neighborhood, and off he went. He still likes those three straps, since it would have happened no matter what pedal he used.

The 7 staples in the back of his head, well, that's a different thread, now, isn't it?

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-16-10 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-16-10, 10:55 AM
norskagent
car dodger

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
track bike 1 / commuter = mtn. bike clipless pedals and shoes ( walkable)
track bike 2 / cafe' bike = old track pedals/ toe clips
downshift bike = old road pedals / toe clips
sti shift bike = new road pedals / road shoes (can't walk)
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 03-16-10, 11:22 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I like to keep my vintage light weight vintage so I have clips and straps on her. I do however race her once a year for giggles and fun and I mount SPD-SL's for that. I have modified some mountain bike shoes by cutting the tread odd to the shoe base at the right time to act as a cleat for the pedal and when I strap those on I am in tight. On my vintage touring/townie bike I have SPD mountain pedals that flip over to a platform, I've begun to really like those because they are versatile.
Old 03-16-10, 11:27 AM
rjn3100

Bikes: '77 Raleigh Competition GS '95 Fuji Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the mtn bike clipless pedals and shoes, on my erand bike I got the pedals with clips on on side and flat on the other....got brain freez and can't think of the name.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.