Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to know specs of headset bearings?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-18, 11:06 AM
haphaeu

Bikes: n-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After commuting some winters, the headset bearings are all rusted due to salt. I can't even read any model or serial numbers from them.

I'm trying to do it all myself since maintenance here is quite expensive. The replacement itself seems simple - I've managed to pull them off and re-lube them, which helped, but their days are counted...

Problem now is to know what exactly what do I need... the number of options online are overwhelming!

How can I know which bearings will fit or not? Any tip?

My bike is a cyclocross Focus Mares CX 2 around 2012-2013. Found many specs online but none gives any detail about headset bearings.
Old 06-16-18, 11:37 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,030 Posts
What model headset is it? What does the manufacturer say? Did you bring the old bearings into a bike shop to see if they have a replacement?
Old 06-16-18, 12:17 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by haphaeu
After commuting some winters, the headset bearings are all rusted due to salt. I can't even read any model or serial numbers from them.

I'm trying to do it all myself since maintenance here is quite expensive. The replacement itself seems simple - I've managed to pull them off and re-lube them, which helped, but their days are counted...

Problem now is to know what exactly what do I need... the number of options online are overwhelming!

How can I know which bearings will fit or not? Any tip?

My bike is a cyclocross Focus Mares CX 2 around 2012-2013. Found many specs online but none gives any detail about headset bearings.
First I would try to contact Focus directly. They should be able to help you.

If they can't help, I would consult the linked SHIS tutorial, I suspect it will get you pointed in the right direction.
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...ication-system

Standard annular cartridge bearings are sized mainly by Outside Diameter (OD), Inside Diameter (ID), and Width (W). If your bearings are angular contact, that must be noted as well as OD, ID and W. Some angular-contact cartridge headset bearings have cone-shaped interfaces as well. Such bearing sizes may be unique to bicycles.
Old 06-16-18, 12:39 PM
haphaeu

Bikes: n-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess there's no easy or standard quick way to do this with model and serial numbers all gone...

Originally Posted by Kontact
Did you bring the old bearings into a bike shop to see if they have a replacement?
No, not yet. I was hoping there was a good way to know so I cold just order online and spare some time. A ride to the LBS seems to be my best option now.

Originally Posted by Ghrumpy
... I would consult the linked SHIS tutorial, I suspect it will get you pointed in the right direction.
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...ication-system
This is a great guide. I'm adding it to my bookmarks for reference! Thanks.
Old 06-16-18, 01:26 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Is this a cartridge bearing headset or a ball-and-cone headset?

If ball & cone, are they in a retainer, or loose? If in a retainer, bring it to a bike shop to match a replacement. If not, or if you prefer to install loose balls, measure one of the balls and use that to buy replacements. If loose, count the total and buy the same number of new balls. If in a retainer, count the total and add half a dozen more to the total of new balls to buy. When repacking, fill each race completely, then remove one ball from each race.

If it's a cartridge bearing headset, take the mortal remains of the cartridge to your bike shop or an industrial bearing supplier and see if they can match a replacement.