Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Jump on Garmin Edge Explore 2 Sale?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-23, 07:58 AM
estasnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

It's looking like the Garmin Edge Explore 2 would be a good fit for me and is now being discounted. Primarily intended for navigation with somewhat long battery life but also able to connect to heart-rate monitors, speed and cadence sensors.

I am a little wary about pulling the trigger on this though because of the usual tech paranoia: there may be something better coming just around the corner.

Looking at Garmin's website, where this can be ordered, they indicate "Available to ship in 2–3 weeks."

Might this be because of high demand or because something better IS coming just around the corner and they're dumping inventory?

While it may not currently be ready for prime-time, I wouldn't be surprised to see the arrival of e-ink bike computers soon having much better battery life. But soon may be a few years away.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-10-23, 08:40 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
There is always going to be something newer, faster, better, etc coming down the line in the electronics gadgets. If you keep chasing them, you'll never be happy.
Look at the features offered on the Edge Explore 2 and decide if they fill your current needs. If so, go for it. I bought my 1030 Plus when it was being replaced by the 1040, and got it at a good discount. Compare the 1030 Plus to the 1040. I didn't think it was worth the extra money.
Garmin Edge 1040 vs 1030 Plus: What's the Difference? • Average Joe Cyclist
Old 07-10-23, 12:07 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
The Explore 2 is a pretty good GPS, and $250 seems to be their standard "it's on sale!!" price for the last several months.

There are units with more features on them available already, so if you're running into FOMO:

1. Build a spreadsheet with columns for the Explore 2, 1040, 840, and 540.

2. Go through the Garmin web pages and note the features of each on your spreadsheet. Insert more rows as necessary.

3. Download the manuals (not the quick start instructions) for each, and repeat step 2.

4. Go through the web pages and manuals again, and consolidate rows that seem to mean the same thing but are described slightly differently.

5. If you don't understand some feature, you won't use it until you buy a new GPS. Hide that row.

6. Pick the least expensive model that does everything you want it to do.

7. If you're afraid a newer model will come out with more features, they're working on one now. Wait for it. If you're afraid the price will be higher, it will be. Buy it now.

7a. If you get different outcomes from the two parts of item 7, flip a coin to determine your action.
Old 07-10-23, 02:34 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Bike Tires Direct shows this on sale for $249. Also backordered till 7/21. It’s a decent unit and navigation and a large screen to display maps are its strong points. 16 hr battery life is better then the 12 on the series 1, but a lot less then the 1040 at 35 hrs. Lot of performance features on the 1040 you likely will never use though.
Old 07-11-23, 04:48 PM
estasnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Ended up not getting the Edge Explore 2 but have ordered the Edge 1030 Plus instead because Garmin is selling these for $310.

$60 more for a larger screen and longer battery life is what made this a compelling choice for me.

Thanks for the advice. I was fixated on the Edge Explore 2 until all of you chimed in.