Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin App and Garmin 800?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin App and Garmin 800?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-23, 11:28 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Yep, but the OP seemed to indicate they tried to open the file in a app on the tablet. Or at least that's what I think I remember. I'm not going to hunt back for it.
Clearly, he's involving some app in some of the attempts. He's not being clear enough about what he is doing.

He also said he is "tech challenged".

If the tablet is capable of doing file transfers through the USB cable, then it shouldn't matter about any apps on the tablet at all.
Yes. I've actually done it. And it won't matter if it's a phone or a tablet.

Just need a file browser to send the downloaded file on it's way to the /garmin/newfiles folder on the Edge 800.
This won't work on Android (you aren't typically given the choice of where to download to).

You'd have to download the file (to the Downloads folder on the device). And, then, you'd have to use a general file manager app to copy the file to that folder on the Garmin.
Old 07-18-23, 12:46 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
It is easy for me to take a ridewithgps.com route and download it to my iphone and from there to move it to my Garmin Edge 840 and to my Garmin Epix Pro watch. Ridewithgps is the goto place for me for bike routes, including ones from local bike clubs that post their routes on the site.
Old 07-18-23, 02:00 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Calsun
It is easy for me to take a ridewithgps.com route and download it to my iphone and from there to move it to my Garmin Edge 840 and to my Garmin Epix Pro watch. Ridewithgps is the goto place for me for bike routes, including ones from local bike clubs that post their routes on the site.
How are you moving it from your iPhone to the Edge (and watch)?

Keep in mind that the OP is using a "very old" 800 (which doesn't have the same options available as your new units).

One method is using syncing through Garmin Connect (not an option for the OP). Another is to use an IQ app, either RWGPS or GRouteLoader (again, not an option for the OP).

I'm a fan of RWGPS too but some people need to use routes from other places. What the OP wants to do isn't that hard (it's copying a file).
Old 07-18-23, 03:03 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I do appreciate the abundance of help being offered. Not sure what I can say as to not providing enough information. Thought I was being clear but let me take another shot.
Here is the procedure I have been following for both devices.
1) I pick a route from Cycle Travel and select a GPX download.
When I do it on my phone and then open File Manager it shows as aGPX file.
But when I do the exact same process with my tablet it does not show as a GPX file.
I also decided to try the same process using my wife's phone and it did not work.
Maybe user error? Not sure as I am doing the exact same thing on each device.
Old 07-18-23, 03:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
With my Garmin Edge 530, all I have to do on RWGPS.com is pin the course, assuming it's a course already made by another, and it appears on my Edge soon after. I don't know if that is also because I have the RWGPS app on my phone or because I've enabled sharing between GarminConnect and RWGPS. Most all the Edges since the Edge 800 have wifi and/or bluetooth... I think. So a new or used Edge of some newer flavor will probably make things easier on the technically challenged. Once they get through the overly long setup of course! <grin> Or has Garmin made that easier since I got my 530?

However the Edge 800 doesn't have wifi or bluetooth. So whatever method is used will have to involve a USB data cable. And RWGPS was one of the better sites to get courses on to my old Edge 500 with little fuss. Though a few other sites were just as easy.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-18-23 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-18-23, 03:51 PM
njkayaker

With my Garmin Edge 530, all I have to do on RWGPS.com is pin the course, assuming it's a course already made by another, and it appears on my Edge soon after. I don't know if that is also because I have the RWGPS app on my phone or because I've enabled sharing between GarminConnect and RWGPS.
It's this. (The RWGPS app can't muck directly with the Edge.) As an alternative, one can use the RWGPS or GRouteLoader app on the Edge to pull the courses onto the device.

Most all the Edges since the Edge 800 have wifi and/or bluetooth... I think.
The 810 doesn't have WiFi. I'm not sure if it could use BT to get courses onto it. (Using BT for downloading courses is kind of grim anyway.)

So a new or used Edge of some newer flavor will probably make things easier on the technically challenged.
What the OP wants to do is somewhat unusual. It's not that hard to get courses to the 800.

However the Edge 800 doesn't have wifi or bluetooth. So whatever method is used will have to involve a USB data cable. And RWGPS was one of the better sites to get courses on to my old Edge 500 with little fuss. Though a few other sites were just as easy.
What do you do when the course isn't on RWGPS?
Old 07-18-23, 04:22 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
1) I pick a route from Cycle Travel and select a GPX download.
From the CycleTravel website in a browser? Or the CycleTravel app?

Anyway, this will put the same file on the "disk" of the phone or tablet,

When I do it on my phone and then open File Manager it shows as a GPX file.
But when I do the exact same process with my tablet it does not show as a GPX file.
Are you using the same file manager app on both? What does "showing/not-showing as a GPX file" mean?

The Samsung software on the phone doesn't know it's a GPX file (the Samsung software doesn't use GPX files). So, something else is providing the "showing as a GPX file".

You should see the name of the file in both cases. Copying the file is just a matter of picking the file. Copying the file has nothing to do with the type of file.

I also decided to try the same process using my wife's phone and it did not work.
Is it the same phone? What phone is it? This is the sort of information you could provide but don't.

This shows that the issue isn't due to being a tablet. It also indicates that the conclusion you drew from the conversation with tech support isn't correct.

Maybe user error? Not sure as I am doing the exact same thing on each device.
Key point: the three devices are basically the same (presuming, they are about the same age) and you should be able to do the same things on all of them. Certainly, the same phones should work the same!

There's something different (not in the basic capabilities of the devices). It's hard to figure out what.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-18-23 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-18-23, 05:08 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

The tablet is a Samsung A7
The phone is a Motorola.
The File Manager on both have the same appearance.
Here are 2 pics. Each one has the downloaded route as the first line . The Motorola Android phone clearly shows it as a GPX
Old 07-18-23, 05:11 PM
Tandem Tom

This pic shows the Samsung tablet. Same file being g downloaded. Again the first line or "entry" is the downloaded file.
Same procedure, same file source,different devices.
Old 07-18-23, 07:11 PM
njkayaker

This pic shows the Samsung tablet. Same file being g downloaded. Again the first line or "entry" is the downloaded file.
Same procedure, same file source, different devices.
That provides some useful information.

That big name means the download isn't quite completing properly.

Downloads happen in two steps;
  1. The remote file get copied to a file (on the device) with a temporary (unique) name.
  2. Then, when the download completes. the file gets renamed into the what you expect.
The second step isn't happening.

Key point: This process doesn't care about what type of (basically the contents) of the file.

The "gpx" is just part of the file name. (It's supposed to match the content of the file but it doesn't have to.)

Note that the issue is happening before you are running/using the file manager app.

Are you using the same browser on both devices?

Not having any luck. I am using CycleTravel for route planning. I attempt to download the GPX file. It goes to my File Manager but when I use the Connect website it does not recognize it as a GPX file.
You might think you are providing information here but you aren't. No one can tell from this what you are doing or seeing. Note that this is a normal thing (people do this all the time). So, don't take this comment as a deep criticism.

The pictures of the screen are very useful because they show what is going on without any filtering or interpretation (from you).

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-18-23 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-19-23, 05:10 AM
Tandem Tom

It was the browser! I had been using Duck Duck Go and I just tried Chrome and it work!
Old 07-19-23, 07:28 AM
njkayaker

It was the browser! I had been using Duck Duck Go and I just tried Chrome and it work!
Hah!

(The screen shots were a finger pointing at the browser.)