Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

GoPro camera mount with power bank

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-23, 08:08 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts

I ride with a GoPro mounted to the handlebars. The battery life required me to carry multiple batteries, and stop every 45 minutes or so to change them out.
I bought an Anker 5000 mAh power bank. It's about the same diameter as the handlebars. Unfortunately, no one makes a clamp to connect the two.
I found a handlebar water bottle mount on Amazon. Ordered 4 of them. Discarded the water bottle mount and kept the clamps. After a little modification (basically cutting off the square mounting tab) and making up some connectors from 1/8" thick aluminum stock, I came up with a rock solid mount. I can lift the bike with it. Moved the GoPro handlebar mount to the power bank, and connected the two with a 3" USB cable. Camera is now powered for hours.

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-11-23, 11:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
very clever! nice short cable!
Old 08-11-23, 12:17 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I bought an Anker 5000 mAh power bank. It's about the same diameter as the handlebars. Unfortunately, no one makes a clamp to connect the two.
I found a handlebar water bottle mount on Amazon. Ordered 4 of them. Discarded the water bottle mount and kept the clamps.
... and while you were writing all that it didn't cross your mind that post like this have zero value unless you actually provide links to the products you used. Finding the power bank is fairly easy (apparently, this is it), but what about the mounts?

Also, what is this power bank casing made of? Will it actually be able to stand the stresses of being squeezed/clamped at three different points and then being subjected to fluctuating camera weight on bumpy roads?

Last edited by AndreyT; 08-11-23 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-11-23, 01:03 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by AndreyT
... and while you were writing all that it didn't cross your mind that post like this have zero value unless you actually provide links to the products you used. Finding the power bank is fairly easy (apparently, this is it), but what about the mounts?

Also, what is this power bank casing made of? Will it actually be able to stand the stresses of being squeezed/clamped at three different points and then being subjected to fluctuating camera weight on bumpy roads?
I'm sorry if I wasted your time while you read a zero value post. I guess I was expected to do a complete DIY video with links to the parts, full details of how I modified them, CAD drawings of the aluminum joints, torque specs on the bolts, engineering analysis of the crush limit of the unknown material used in the power bank housing, etc. Maybe I didn't want to bore everyone with such minute details (or, quite possibly, I really didn't give a hoot) and would instead have waited to see if anyone was interested in duplicating my work, at which point I would have graciously provided all details via PM. Heck, I would have even thrown in the tidbit about using a plastic round furniture leg protector (1.25" diameter) to slip over the end of the power bank while not in use to cover the USB and charging ports.
But..... naaaaaah.
Let's suffice it to say that it's incredibly strong, strong enough to allow me to pick the bike up off the ground by the (undamaged) power bank. The camera doesn't move at all (the GoPro mount has a rubber insert.)
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-14-23, 06:31 AM
Bald Paul

A little update. Went for a ride with a group the other morning on some very rough roads. Lots of patched (and unpatched) holes, poor overall pavement, etc. Zero issues with the mount or power bank.
Likes For Bald Paul: