Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Opinions on this deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09, 07:58 PM
awesomejack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Opinions on this deal?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/1450314440.html

I'm looking for a bike to build up and use, and this seems like a sweet deal. Honestly, I kind of like the frame, is this a good deal? I know he doesn't say say what year, it looks like he did a really nice polishing job. Anybody want to identify this?

he's also selling this, https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/1450312823.html

I might be asking for some opinions on other sales here too
Old 11-04-09, 09:15 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
That is an insane amount of money for the Raleigh Record. It looks pretty clean, and maybe those bars will appeal to some. But that is not a special bike in any way.

The mixte might well be worth the money he is asking for it. Looks beautiful. I would be sure to ask him about the state of the headset and BB. He says he "tuned" it; I would be inclined to find out what that means. If it is all in good shape, and you wanted a cool old mixte, then what the heck.

jim
Old 11-04-09, 12:07 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Waaay too much for the Raliegh.

The Motobecane is OK..its all relative to how much you can get wheelset for. You'll have $200 into by the time your done.
Old 11-04-09, 01:54 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 Only in Portland could someone ask that price on the Raleigh. Ridiculous.

On the Motobecane, if you have access to a donor bike, that would be a sweet deal. If you have to pay retail prices to finish the bike, you could find a comparable finished mixte at that price.
Old 11-04-09, 01:57 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
$50 for the mixte. I'm maybe more generous than the three guys above at $150 max for the Raleigh, but I'd have to inspect it closely.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 11-04-09, 04:23 PM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I agree with the above post : $50 for the mixtie. $250 for the Raleigh !!!! Beyond Yikes !!!. $100, in my opinion, would be a fair price. Right now on the Connecticut Craigslist there are individuals selling 1969 -1971 old French Peugeots for $135 to $150, which is way too much for these old bikes.
Old 11-04-09, 06:25 PM
fahrrad streber

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say the Motobecane is at least worth going to look at. Take a look at your overall budget for the build and make him an offer.

Your basic shopping list will be something like: wheelset, tubes, tires, cables, cable housing, chain, seat, and bar tape. And I'm sure there's stuff I missed. I've had good luck with Niagara Cycle Works and their prices seem good (https://niagaracycle.com/).

I've got a '75 Moto Grand Touring with the same downtube decals and headbadge but my cranks are stamped Tourney.

-daniel
Old 11-04-09, 08:22 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
If the crank and headset spin smooth on the Moto it's probably worth finishing up the project. Not cheap, but not gouging either. If there's any hitch or question about what's there, pass. Unfinished projects can be a great thing if they are unfinished for the right reasons, builder ran out of cash or time, etc.. If they're unfinished because of some conceptual flaw or hidden fault they can be a disaster.