Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

B&M lumotec mystery screw

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-23, 11:10 PM
hellawatters

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Posted about this in the commuting forum- but thought this may be a better place. Found my better judgement overwhelmed by fidgety ness and unscrewed this screw on the bottom of my Busch and Muller lumotec iq light. It neither comes fully out nor does it seem to really want to thread back into anything. Does anyone know the purpose of this screw? Have I fully screwed up my light? Or would a little dab of lock tite to keep the screw from rattling around be an appropriate fix here?
Old 04-10-23, 06:14 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I think that screw holds things together. I'm pretty sure once it's out, you can disassemble the light. I recall that's a necessary but not sufficient condition, it's glued together inside. Maybe something moved when you unthreaded it?
Old 04-11-23, 11:00 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
I've got a B&M Eyc that has a similar bolt that holds it all together.

Steve in Peoria
Old 04-11-23, 06:08 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
You do not mention which IQ lamp this is and you can find teardowns for several of these when you look around. To me this looks most like IQ-Cyo and a photo album of the disassembly can be found here.
Old 04-11-23, 09:54 PM
hellawatters

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2_i
You do not mention which IQ lamp this is and you can find teardowns for several of these when you look around. To me this looks most like IQ-Cyo and a photo album of the disassembly can be found here.
spot on! It is a Cyo. Thank you for sharing the link to the tear down gallery. are these screws typically self threading into the plastic body of the light?
Old 06-11-23, 07:23 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by hellawatters
spot on! It is a Cyo. Thank you for sharing the link to the tear down gallery. are these screws typically self threading into the plastic body of the light?
It is presumably too late, but I just needed to take a Cyo apart. The bolt goes into the heatsink on the other side, indeed keeping the whole light together. The difficulty here is hitting the threaded opening in the heatsink on the other side. Best is to take the heatsink altogether out and push the bolt in nearly all the way, but not fully so as leave the space for the heatsink. After orienting the bolt to the best degree one can, then push the heatsink in, and try to screw in the bolt, hoping that it goes properly into its hole. For success, one needs to iterate a few times over. If the bolt does not find the hole, it just turns pointlessly. Also, the heatsink may need extra heatsink paste, such as for CPU, to connect thermally to the LED.

Last edited by 2_i; 06-12-23 at 06:28 AM.