Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Any New Developments in Non-Offensive Headlamps?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Any New Developments in Non-Offensive Headlamps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-23, 08:33 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Not really cost free but you aren't being charged...

Lezyne or B&M are the way to go and fairly easy to get, I mean if you are already supporting Billionaire Jeff Bezos' Amazon some schlub can drop it off at your house and make 71˘.
B&M Ixon Core went from $82 to $102 overnight on Amazon...
Old 06-06-23, 10:08 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Originally Posted by veganbikes
<br /><br />Blinking/flashing whatever you call them are dangerous for the very reason I have described I literally have to close one eye and turn my head to look away from the road or path I am on so the idea of being safer and more visible is gone out the door. There are also people who actually have seizures and or have vision issues or just don't want to see a flashing light in their face coming toward them for zero reason when a solid light will do a better job. I get a flashing light in an emergency situation but those are beyond rare.
You must be talking about blinking lights at night / in darkness. I have evaluated my blinking scenario in daylight and it does not create issues for me, or four other randomly selected participants -- I have exposed to the light at varying distances, from 5 to 50 feet away.
In the daytime, I think blinking lights have more effect on the "non-cycling" motorist than non-blinking mode does.
A "stagnant" bike light in the brightness of daylight just kind-of blends in with the scenery, typically only noticed by night-riding cyclists...

Last edited by michaelm101; 06-06-23 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-07-23, 10:03 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
You must be talking about blinking lights at night / in darkness. I have evaluated my blinking scenario in daylight and it does not create issues for me, or four other randomly selected participants -- I have exposed to the light at varying distances, from 5 to 50 feet away.
In the daytime, I think blinking lights have more effect on the "non-cycling" motorist than non-blinking mode does.
A "stagnant" bike light in the brightness of daylight just kind-of blends in with the scenery, typically only noticed by night-riding cyclists...
Yes. Night riding lights and daytime lights are completely different animals. I would never use a bright blinking light on the front at night-that's just stupid. In fact, even on the rear I use a slow breathing pulse or solid at night. My intentions are to get attention, not blind people.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 06-07-23, 05:45 PM
michaelm101

Smile

Originally Posted by chaadster
Are you looking for dynamo headlamps or rechargeable types? Any STVZO-compliant light must have the vertical cutoff, so for example, Lezyne has a collection of STVZO rechargeables: https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...caAgUZEALw_wcB

:-( "Thank you for contacting Lezyne. This light was designed for the German market, so we didn't stock it here. A few distributors did bring it in to the US, but it was a slow seller so I haven't seen stock in a long time.

It is now discontinued.

If you have any more questions or concerns, feel free to contact us.

Thanks,

-André
Lezyne
645 Tank Farm Road, Suite F, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Office: +1.805.548.8780"
Old 06-08-23, 07:24 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
:-( "Thank you for contacting Lezyne. This light was designed for the German market, so we didn't stock it here. A few distributors did bring it in to the US, but it was a slow seller so I haven't seen stock in a long time.

It is now discontinued.

If you have any more questions or concerns, feel free to contact us.

Thanks,

-André
Lezyne
645 Tank Farm Road, Suite F, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Office: +1.805.548.8780"
By “this light” do they mean all STVZO lights? Maybe some of the German retailers like R2-bike, Bike24, or BikeDiscount have some and can hook you up.

Yeah, it looks like R2 is pretty well stocked on Lezyne STVZO and other stuff: https://r2-bike.com/navi.php?qs=Stvzo&search=
Old 06-08-23, 12:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
No I must not, I am talking about blinking/flashing lights at any time anywhere. Yes it can be a lot worse at night but it is still a problem during the day. I get you think things and we all do but I know that I have to turn my head close one eye which is more dangerous if you can call that safe you do not understand the definition of safety and that is problematic.
Old 06-08-23, 02:46 PM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I'm running dynamo lights on two bikes but have not yet converted the hub on my gravel bike. I have been very satisfied with this battery-powered light from B&M:

IXON Space - Busch + Müller EN (bumm.de)
Likes For westrid_dad:
Old 06-12-23, 12:22 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by westrid_dad
I'm running dynamo lights on two bikes but have not yet converted the hub on my gravel bike. I have been very satisfied with this battery-powered light from B&M:

IXON Space - Busch + Müller EN (bumm.de)
I've had my eye on that Ixon Space for awhile now.
Considering I misplace many things, often never to be found, I thought it was just too pricey.

I recently acquired a Lumintop B01 and I love the warm light it emits with a good cutoff. A Kryptonite Incite X8 /XBR Taillight Set is on its way! BTW, the X8 kind of resembles the design of the Ixon Space.
Old 06-16-23, 09:57 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Cateye is doing StVZO in a large range of headlamps. Yeah, I think I ordered mine from some German internet outfit. They clip right into the Cateye mounts I've gathered over the decades.
Likes For tcs:
Old 07-02-23, 03:08 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 53 Posts
Trek has recently introduced their Commuter lights, with "Kindbeam", which cuts the light off at a horizontal line. I've been wanting to get one since I found out about them, and I got around to picking up the Commuter Pro RT today. I haven't ridden with it yet. First thoughts: The anti-glare feature is only engaged in "low beam" mode (steady 500 lumen output). It does not apply to "high beam" or day flash modes. Also, the owner's manual states that, "These lights do not conform to the German road traffic regulation StVZO."
Old 07-08-23, 12:02 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
NiteRider Lumina Dual 1800 is a best buy in a serious night riding light with cutoff beam and long runtime per charge, which is readily available in the US. I've been using one for three years this summer and it's by far the best bicycle headlight I've tried.

However the Outbound Lighting lights look very good and I'll probably try one of those next.
Old 07-08-23, 07:26 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I'm not sure tech can fix the headlamp blinding problem. If you're being blinded, it's because someone aimed their light at you; presumably because they wanted to see you for some reason. Regardless of what you do to the light pattern, people will just adjust the aim accordingly. If you just reduce the light output, they probably won't buy it cause they want buy the blindingly strong light.
Exactly right. On top of that, an improperly aimed cut off style beam will be just as big of a problem. It's easy to get it aimed incorrectly. So this is no real solution but in the category of "it would be nice if..."

I'm glad I don't need to ride at night any more (retired) but no matter what, cyclist safety trumps any car driver inconvenience by multiple orders of magnitude. While irritating, a driver that has issues with glare will instinctively slow down and move away from the glare all of which, from my perspective as a cyclist, is a good thing. A cyclist has a fundamental need to have strong lighting for road defects and to be seen. And a cyclist has every right to be on that road at night.

I do notice that as I age, I have more sensitivity to glare. That's a result of aging, the beginnings of cataract formation etc... according to my ophthalmologist. If glare bothers you then you most likely need to be seeing the eye doctor more than you need to be worrying about what light a cyclist uses. We should have all been trained as drivers not to look directly at lights when night driving but to rely more on peripheral vision and that's a good lesson to recall now.
Old 07-17-23, 12:51 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Cateye is doing StVZO in a large range of headlamps. Yeah, I think I ordered mine from some German internet outfit. They clip right into the Cateye mounts I've gathered over the decades.
We discussed this in a different thread. I've just found a website that ships the CatEye GVolt 100, one of their StVZO compliant headlights, to the US.

https://www.rosebikes.com/cateye-gvo...system-2697805

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)