Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Dynohub/Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-23, 05:39 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Dynohub/Light Switch

Anyone here have any good ideas on a simple in-line on/off switch for dynohub driven light? So many lights have no switch. I have been looking at micro switches and auto switches. Any pics of your solutions?
Old 06-19-23, 05:54 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
I am not aware of any dyno powered headlamps without a switch except the very old Lumotec lamps that were intended to be attached to sidewall generators. What headlight are you talking about that lacks a switch?
Old 06-19-23, 07:20 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I am not aware of any dyno powered headlamps without a switch except the very old Lumotec lamps that were intended to be attached to sidewall generators. What headlight are you talking about that lacks a switch?
A vintage Royce Union and a more modern Lumotec. Neither has a switch
Old 06-19-23, 07:23 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I use handlebar switches just because they allow me to change the status by moving a finger, not risking a mishap by leaning to the light or stopping. I search for the switches on Ebay using keywords "Triumph", "Lucas", "replica". Examples of those I might use are lined below:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401985543142

https://www.ebay.com/itm/151558702607
Old 06-19-23, 07:55 PM
etherhuffer 

Lumotec 2 on left, RU on right
Old 06-19-23, 07:57 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by etherhuffer
A vintage Royce Union and a more modern Lumotec. Neither has a switch
If your Lumotec looks like the one in the photo and lacks a switch, it was intended for use with a sidewall generator. I picked up a used dyno wheel for $20 for my errand bike. I had the light in storage, so it made sense to use it. I do not need a switch on that bike, I just leave it turned on. That was the easiest wiring job I ever did, the hub and light are both grounded to the fork, so I only needed to run one single conductor wire that was less than a foot long.

I have no suggestions for a switch, I think that 2_i has the right idea thinking of a motorcycle high low beam or turn signal switch as those were designed to work in the rain.

Is it that important to have the ability to turn the light off?
Old 06-19-23, 08:25 PM
etherhuffer 

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If your Lumotec looks like the one in the photo and lacks a switch, it was intended for use with a sidewall generator. I picked up a used dyno wheel for $20 for my errand bike. I had the light in storage, so it made sense to use it. I do not need a switch on that bike, I just leave it turned on. That was the easiest wiring job I ever did, the hub and light are both grounded to the fork, so I only needed to run one single conductor wire that was less than a foot long.

I have no suggestions for a switch, I think that 2_i has the right idea thinking of a motorcycle high low beam or turn signal switch as those were designed to work in the rain.

Is it that important to have the ability to turn the light off?
Nice! I don't have to turn it off, in fact, I have recently been using my touring bike with SON hub and Edelux around town after breaking a frame on my usual ride. That light is to see down the road and works great, but what I have found is that cars see me far better even in the daytime and less car/bike interactions. I might just set it up and leave it on. My Lumotec 2 is not that bright. The vintage RU light I got an LED conversion kit with rectifier. It's really bright, but not a really focused lens. I just built a wheel with Shimano dyno for wife's bike, looks similar to yours.
Old 06-20-23, 04:16 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by etherhuffer
... cars see me far better even in the daytime and less car/bike interactions. I might just set it up and leave it on. ....
I initially got a dynohub when I built up my third touring bike. Earlier, and dynohubs were only useful for lighting, but by the time I built the third bike you could use dynohubs for battery charging and that is what I bought it for, for battery charging on tours. Eventually I bought lights too, they were nice to have and I did not have to worry about batteries as much. And, I liked the lights enough I added dynohubs and lights to other bikes as well.

Now, on a bike tour, my dynohub is only used for battery charging, dyno powered lights are off. If I use my S&S coupled touring bike for a tour and flew somewhere with the bike, I do not even bring dyno powered lights, I only use battery lights on those trips.

When riding near home, exercise rides, randonneuring, I leave the lights on for the same reason you do.

My point is that I almost never use the switch. The only time I use the switch is if I have been using the light and my GPS batteries are getting low, I will turn off the lights so I can instead use the power to top up the GPS batteries.
Old 06-20-23, 07:40 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Velolumino and Rene Herse both offer light switches. Not inexpensive.

I just leave my lights on. Granted, I'm not using a 20 year old light.