Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Seeking suggestions: headset to hear GPS cues

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-23, 07:18 PM
Trogger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm using my android phone mounted on the handlebars for my GPS. When it's not noisy, I can hear the cues ok, but with wind and traffic noise/distraction, not so much.

So, I'm considering a headset whose primary use is to let me reliably hear the cues. It can't be in-ear or over ear. Bone conduction? A little speaker that sits off the ear, pointing at the ear canal?

Looking for options, if anyone has good suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-23, 10:18 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Interesting that this got no responses. Bone conduction is legit. I can't use them because my head is too big. The transducers end up ON my ear canal and not on the bones in front of my ears. My wife has them now. I have now have Acreo 'Open Ear' Buds. They don't go in your ears, they are exactly what you want, a little speaker that sits off the ear and you can hear ambient sounds just fine. Recommended.
Old 06-28-23, 06:19 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
I think the only remotely safe headsets to wear are of the bone conduction style that don't actually go in your ears. The wife and I have used AfterShokz headsets for years and I think they'll suit your needs just fine. We've found that bone conduction headsets don't work so great in loud environments where you might want to listen to music or an audiobook, for example, but that's not your use case. We've also found that with AfterShokz, there's some kind of metal ball inside the earpiece that can get loose and wear-out over time. If that happens before the headset is out of warranty, AfterShokz will replace them.