Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Strava Now Showing Watts. What?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-23, 06:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts

I don’t have a power meter, (I’m too cheap) but after yesterdays hill climb (1800’ in 5.5 miles) Strava is now estimating (probably badly) my average watts. I have a Garmin Edge 830, Garmin Connect app which feeds Strava. I did flip a switch on my Edge which allows in to record heart rate variability. But it was already collecting basic heart rate data . Haven’t read anything on the interwebs about this unless it was a one time fluke.

Old 06-20-23, 07:44 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
It has done that for a while. I've not paid attention to is because I wouldn't what to do with the data even if it was accurate.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 06-20-23, 08:44 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Yeah, Strava has been estimating power for years, and I’m pretty sure it doesn’t require “heart rate variability,” whatever that is, to do it. Probably you’ve just not noticed it before…
Old 06-20-23, 09:52 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I don’t have a power meter, (I’m too cheap) but after yesterdays hill climb (1800’ in 5.5 miles) Strava is now estimating (probably badly) my average watts.
In other news: the sun is hot, the Pope is Catholic, and bears **** in the woods.

I did flip a switch on my Edge which allows in to record heart rate variability.
It takes more than flipping a switch to get a measurement of your HRV. You might want to read the manual. But you can probably get a better reading from a decent smartwatch.
Old 06-20-23, 10:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Yeah, Strava has been estimating power for years, and I’m pretty sure it doesn’t require “heart rate variability,” whatever that is, to do it. Probably you’ve just not noticed it before…
I know they used to caluclate it, but they received a lot of blow back about inaccuracies, so they discontinued the practice. Going back through my Activities for the last few months, zero show Watts on the headline page which includes Average Speed, Total Ascent, etc. That is why I was surprised to see it out of the blue. Maybe they are the ones who flipped the switch, back on. Or maybe it was a bear or the pope.

Old 06-20-23, 10:58 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
I know they used to caluclate it, but they received a lot of blow back about inaccuracies, so they discontinued the practice. Going back through my Activities for the last few months, zero show Watts on the headline page which includes Average Speed, Total Ascent, etc. That is why I was surprised to see it out of the blue. Maybe they are the ones who flipped the switch, back on. Or maybe it was a bear or the pope.
Are you sure? I honestly don’t know, but I don’t recall estimated power going away, so I wonder if it’s to do with membership status? Did you recently change to Premium? Estimated power may be a Premium-only thing now that I think about it…

I’ve been on Strava for over 10 years, so I don’t remember a lot of the details anymore!
Old 06-21-23, 04:46 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I don't look at my strava account very often, but their power estimate was always really bad so I never really looked at it. So it could go away every other ride and I wouldn't know.
Old 06-21-23, 09:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Some have said that RWGPS's power estimate is closer to the real thing. However for me they were way overestimating my power. Compared to what I now see with a real power meter they were showing almost 100 watts more. So what a let down.

Just to kid myself, I keep saying it's because I pull up on the pedals too, so my one-sided PM is not getting the full picture. But I know that's not true... or is it?

I also use Strava, but don't upload all my rides there. They weren't that much different with the power estimate than RWGPS for the rides I did upload there.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-21-23 at 09:03 AM.