Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin App and Garmin 800?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-23, 06:00 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

Has anyone had an experience with transferring routes from the app to an 800?
Old 07-10-23, 07:14 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts
The edge 800 does not have Bluetooth so you cannot transfer from the app.
Old 07-10-23, 06:35 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Can a cable be used?
Old 07-11-23, 06:28 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Can a cable be used?
If you are using a laptop/desktop with Garmin Connect and a USB cable, yes.
Old 07-11-23, 07:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Do you upload your ride/activity files to any website like Garmin Connect, RideWithGps or Strava? If so, then just look through their help or FAQ's and they'll have info for getting courses you create on them to your Garmin Edge 800.

If you have a properly formatted course file, you can just open the file browser on your computer and drag and drop it in the /garmin/newfiles folder on your Edge and it will import the file the next time you start your Edge. If the course file doesn't show up on your device after re-starting it, then check the newfiles folder again. If it's still there, then something is wrong with the file format, or it's not a course file that Garmin recognizes.
Old 07-11-23, 10:22 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Can a cable be used?
What phone?

It won't be possible with an iPhone.

It should be possible with most Android phones if it supports using an OTG cable.

I'm not sure if the app lets you download a course file. The Garmin Connect website certainly does.

EDIT: the Connect app (on iOS, at least) does not appear to let you download the file.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-13-23 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-12-23, 05:56 AM
Tandem Tom

I tried without success using the app. I will give Garmin Connect a go.
Old 07-12-23, 06:20 AM
Tandem Tom

Well once again my "tech challenged " mind is in play!
Not having any luck. I am using CycleTravel for route planning. I attempt to download the GPX file. It goes to my File Manager but when I use the Connect website it does not recognize it as a GPX file.
Maybe I will just have to stick with using a laptop with a cable directly to the Garmin.
Old 07-12-23, 06:21 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
I tried without success using the app. I will give Garmin Connect a go.
The Garmin Connect App only connects to a Garmin device using BlueTooth, which as somebody else stated, the 800 does not have. Best bet is to Google the method to USB cable connect the device to a PC. It will read as an external drive, you then transfer an appropriate map file to a folder on the device. Never done it this way as my earliest Garmin was an 810 with BT.
Old 07-12-23, 08:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Well once again my "tech challenged " mind is in play!
Not having any luck. I am using CycleTravel for route planning. I attempt to download the GPX file. It goes to my File Manager but when I use the Connect website it does not recognize it as a GPX file.
Maybe I will just have to stick with using a laptop with a cable directly to the Garmin.
It's the only way you are going to get a course onto your Edge without creating it on your Edge 800. It doesn't have wifi or bluetooth.

Though if you tried to import the file to the Garmin Connect website and it didn't like the file from CycleTravel, then I'd probably expect your Edge 800 won't be able to use that file as a course either.

Is this a premade course that they had already made? If not then why don't you create the course on Garmin Connect, RWGPS, Strava or whatever site you use to upload your ride activities to?
Old 07-12-23, 08:20 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
If you have a windows computer, you can just hook up the garmin 800 to the computer using a usb cable and it will show up as a removable drive on file explorer. Then put the gpx file in the "new files" directory. I sold my 800 a while ago, so I forget exactly where it is.

The 800 always showed up as two removable drives on my comp because I had an sd card in it. Put your gpx file in the sd card version of "new files"
Old 07-12-23, 05:17 PM
njkayaker

I am using CycleTravel for route planning. I attempt to download the GPX file. It goes to my File Manager but when I use the Connect website it does not recognize it as a GPX file.
I created a route on CycleTravel and tested 2 things (both worked).
  1. Using the "Download GPX track" option in CycleTravel. The file I downloaded imported into the Garmin Connect website.
  2. The GPX file also loads into courses on my 1030+ (by copying the file to "\Garmin\NewFiles".
CycleTravel also has a "Send to Garmin Connect", which I didn't try because I don't have a CycleTravel account. It's not likely that this doesn't work.

You should provide the route page on CycleTravel (I'm assuming you have an account).

Anyway. there is no point in importing the GPX file into Garmin Connect if the goal is to get it on the 800. Just copy the file using a cable to "\Garmin\NewFiles" on the 800 drive.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-12-23 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-12-23, 07:03 PM
Tandem Tom

I have attempted #1 a number of times but it does not show in the Garmin Connect Website. It does show up in the App.
I will give #3 a try tomorrow.
Old 07-12-23, 08:32 PM
njkayaker

I have attempted #1 a number of times but it does not show in the Garmin Connect Website. It does show up in the App.
I will give #3 a try tomorrow.
It doesn’t make too much sense that it shows in the app but not the website. Both are looking at the same set of data. The website should also be a more basic way to get the data.

You might not be providing enough info. Provide the CycleTravel page (privately is fine).

I have a lot of experience with the 800 (but it’s been a while). I have lots of experience doing all sorts of things with other models too.

There’s a good chance the issue is on your side. We just have to figure out what that is.

You really want to try the 2 option.

1 and 3 aren’t useful for the 800.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-12-23 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-13-23, 04:48 AM
Tandem Tom

Cycle Travel & Garmin

Here is the route I created last night as a Test and did not make it Private.https://cycle.travel/map/journey/459798
Here is a Screenshot of when I select "Download GPX Track"
Old 07-13-23, 05:32 AM
njkayaker

Here is the route I created last night as a Test and did not make it Private.https://cycle.travel/map/journey/459798
There's nothing wrong with that track.
  • It will work fine on the 800 and any other Garmin. It shows up in the courses and shows the summary on an 800 and 1030+.
  • It imports just as expected into the Garmin Connect website. And it shows up in the Connect phone app just as expected. But, again, this doesn't help you.
Here is a Screenshot of when I select "Download GPX Track"
You are doing this on your phone. Why??

It looks like it's an Android phone. While it might be possible to plug your 800 into the phone, that approach is more complicated/confusing than you'd like. (I've done this with an Android tablet.)

You should plug your 800 into a computer and copy the file to the \Garmin\NewFiles folder on the drive that shows up.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-13-23 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-13-23, 05:42 AM
Tandem Tom

I will back up here and offer my explanation. We have no trouble at all downloading the routes from either our desktop or laptop. My goal here was to see if I could use either my android tablet or phone. The pic I sent was from my tablet.
So I started experimenting with the phone and it didn't work either. I think maybe I will shelve this "experiment " and stick with the laptop.
With your help prior I got BBBike!
Old 07-13-23, 05:55 AM
njkayaker

I will back up here and offer my explanation. We have no trouble at all downloading the routes from either our desktop or laptop. My goal here was to see if I could use either my android tablet or phone. The pic I sent was from my tablet.
So I started experimenting with the phone and it didn't work either. I think maybe I will shelve this "experiment " and stick with the laptop.
With your help prior I got BBBike!
No one has a good idea of how you are doing your "experiments".

If you have a laptop, there isn't any good reason to use your phone.

Using an Android tablet or phone might be possible but you'd need use a cable (a special OTG one). (I've done it with a particular tablet but it was some work setting up.) This problem with this approach is that it is complicated and confusing.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-13-23 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-14-23, 06:15 PM
Tandem Tom

Success!!
I was able without any problem whatsoever to transfer a route from Cycle Travel to my Garmin 800 using my phone. I was attempting to use my Samsung tablet and it just would not accept a GPX file but my phone would. Made up 2 different routes and they both transferred perfectly.
Old 07-16-23, 08:06 AM
njkayaker

Success!!
I was able without any problem whatsoever to transfer a route from Cycle Travel to my Garmin 800 using my phone. I was attempting to use my Samsung tablet and it just would not accept a GPX file but my phone would. Made up 2 different routes and they both transferred perfectly.
This doesn't make sense.

I'm guessing you aren't using the same apps. The devices themselves don't know anything about GPX files. If a GPX file works on the phone, it will work on the tablet (barring some potential cable/permission issues that have nothing what-so-ever to do with the file being GPX).

Good you got it to work.
Old 07-18-23, 07:58 AM
Tandem Tom

So have been exploring this issue. Had a long chat with Samsung tech. Here is a screenshot that backs up what they told me. Apparently it is the device.
Old 07-18-23, 08:59 AM
njkayaker

So have been exploring this issue. Had a long chat with Samsung tech. Here is a screenshot that backs up what they told me. Apparently it is the device.
There is no difference (with respect to this stuff) between an Android tablet and Android phone.

Look at the paragraph after the image ("On Galaxy phones or tablets...").

You aren't really providing enough information about what you are doing.
  • You should be able to download the GPX file on both in the same way.
  • You should be able to copy the GPX file from both to the Edge in the same way.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-18-23 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-18-23, 10:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Even the screenshot tells you that it's up to the app to handle the type of file format. So the support help for the tablet were the wrong people to be talking too. You should be getting help from the app developer's support people.
Old 07-18-23, 11:10 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Iride01
Even the screenshot tells you that it's up to the app to handle the type of file format.
You can also deal with the file as a file (something you just copy around). You only need a special app to do something other than that with the file.

One would use a generic "file manager" app to copy the file (those apps don't care what the file is).

So the support help for the tablet were the wrong people to be talking too.
Yes. This problem is quickly not going to be a "Samsung" issue. Tech support won't know anything beyond that (and they aren't getting money to do much more). So, they gave a vague answer so you go away.

You should be getting help from the app developer's support people.
You can download the GPX file from the CycleTrips website as a file. You really don't need an app for this.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-18-23 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-18-23, 11:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Yep, but the OP seemed to indicate they tried to open the file in a app on the tablet. Or at least that's what I think I remember. I'm not going to hunt back for it.

If the tablet is capable of doing file transfers through the USB cable, then it shouldn't matter about any apps on the tablet at all. Just need a file browser to send the downloaded file on it's way to the /garmin/newfiles folder on the Edge 800.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.