Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Favorite Route to Hollywood Sign?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 09:13 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts

Despite living here my entire life, I have never hiked or biked to the sign, so I'd like to change that. What's your favorite legal place to start and your favorite legal route? RWGPS, MapMyRide, Strava routes appreciated.
Old 07-20-23, 09:29 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Despite living here my entire life, I have never hiked or biked to the sign, so I'd like to change that. What's your favorite legal place to start and your favorite legal route? RWGPS, MapMyRide, Strava routes appreciated.
Going up Beachwood, then Ledgewood and through the gates would be the fastest way up. I really wish they'd open the trail from Griffith Park to the sign so cyclists on gravel/mountain bikes could avoid the horde of tourists and unsafe drivers of Franklin. Unfortunately the horseback brigade has total influence regarding the trails in the area. Anyways, make sure to go early morning to avoid traffic both cars and people.

https://www.strava.com/segments/5023857
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 07-20-23, 09:43 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Going up Beachwood, then Ledgewood and through the gates would be the fastest way up. I really wish they'd open the trail from Griffith Park to the sign so cyclists on gravel/mountain bikes could avoid the horde of tourists and unsafe drivers of Franklin. Unfortunately the horseback brigade has total influence regarding the trails in the area. Anyways, make sure to go early morning to avoid traffic both cars and people.

https://www.strava.com/segments/5023857
Thanks! It's hot, so if I go this month it will be like 6/7am anyway, and on a weekday.
Old 07-20-23, 09:47 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Thanks! It's hot, so if I go this month it will be like 6/7am anyway, and on a weekday.
Just be mindful of the rush hour drivers. Franklin is just a terrible road for cyclists in general. On your descent down, you can exit from the gate, go left and take the dirt path to the road. You can then descend down to Lake Hollywood.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 07-23-23, 02:42 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Beachwood, then Ledgewood is the worst way to go IMHO. All the tourist cars take those roads as well as the locals, Ledgewood is steep and has bad pavement on the right hand side when going up, forcing you further into traffic. Beachwood to Rodgerton is better or to Linforth and cut across the dirt path. I actually avoid going up Beachwood by taking Hollyridge and then coming down Beachwood until the aforementioned roads, but I am usually coming from the Griffith side.

I have gone up every conceivable combination of streets, sometimes on the same day. I would suggest coming up from the reservoir, passing by the park and then taking the dirt trail (Old Mulholland Hwy) which is doable with a road bike. The reservoir road Tahoe/Canyon Lake drive is steep and not suggesting past last morning on the weekend.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 07-24-23, 02:37 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Beachwood, then Ledgewood is the worst way to go IMHO. All the tourist cars take those roads as well as the locals, Ledgewood is steep and has bad pavement on the right hand side when going up, forcing you further into traffic. Beachwood to Rodgerton is better or to Linforth and cut across the dirt path. I actually avoid going up Beachwood by taking Hollyridge and then coming down Beachwood until the aforementioned roads, but I am usually coming from the Griffith side.

I have gone up every conceivable combination of streets, sometimes on the same day. I would suggest coming up from the reservoir, passing by the park and then taking the dirt trail (Old Mulholland Hwy) which is doable with a road bike. The reservoir road Tahoe/Canyon Lake drive is steep and not suggesting past last morning on the weekend.
That's why I mention going early to avoid the road traffic. Plus I'm not a fan of going up the reservoir way, I find Ledgewood the most direct way and prefer descending by the reservoir on the way down since I like hanging out by the Hollywood dam after climbing the sign.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 07-25-23, 01:35 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
That's why I mention going early to avoid the road traffic. Plus I'm not a fan of going up the reservoir way, I find Ledgewood the most direct way and prefer descending by the reservoir on the way down since I like hanging out by the Hollywood dam after climbing the sign.
It is easy to avoid Ledgewood, so I am going to avoid it. The dirt road on Linforth has a nice view. The "parallel" road Durand Dr to the traffic circle is also nice. My favorite way is still Hollyridge, but that is mainly because I am coming from Griffith.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 07-25-23, 02:00 PM
Tycho Brahe 

I've been up to the sign a few times https://www.strava.com/activities/1981213693

The exit road at the end is my favorite way.
Likes For Tycho Brahe: