Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Updating a Bianchi Limited

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 11:07 PM
TimButterfield

Bikes: Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is to add to the other thread about the 1982 Bianchi Limited I just purchased. Now that I have started to get familiar with it, I am finding some things I would like to improve.

The brake cables had been adjusted with the locks engaged. When I went to adjust the front brake, I found the cable anchor nut stripped and the cable by the anchor a little frayed. I couldn't shift to the high and low gears and adjusted the front and rear derailleur limits to allow this. The bar end shifters are still quite stiff. The right pedal rotates freely, but the left is stiff. When I was on it for a while, the foam bar tape edges started to catch my skin and curl. The bar tape was put on starting in the middle and ending at the bar ends. Is this backwards? I'm a newbie to this whole bike maintenance and repair thing, though I am eager to learn. It looks like this bike will provide my introductory education.

Here are some things I think I need to do:
  • new brake cable anchor
  • new bar tape (VO Elkhide stitched)
  • new brake cables and housings
  • new derailleur cables and housings
  • Dia Compe hoods for brake levers
  • loosen left pedal
Here are some things that might be good to do:
  • new bar end shifters (VO)
  • new brake levers
  • new pedals
  • clean and rebuild cassette, derailleurs, BB, crank, chain
  • apply some semichrome polish
The new shifters, brake levers, and pedals would make it non-original. I'm not sure how important that is as the bike does have a few scratches. I know I can replace lots of things, but am not sure how much is really useful.

I have ordered some books to get me started on the parts and tools:
  • The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair, 5th ed
  • Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance
  • Park Tool BBB-2 The Big Blue Book of Repair, 2nd ed
I'm not how much of this is important or if it just newbie thinking. Does this look like a reasonable list of action items given the symptoms I mentioned? Is there anything else I should consider? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 02-23-10, 09:01 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Hi Tim, again greatlooking bike. I would not worry too much about changing some parts like shifters and brakelevers to make the bike work and fit better. while this is a nice bike it is not a highly sought collector.

I do not quite understand what you mean about the brakes adjusted with the "locks on". do you mean the Quickrelease which is used to open the brake to replace the wheel or if the wheel is damaged. if you bikeshop does not have a anchor bolt that will work post some good pics of your brake shere and maybe one of us has something that will work.

as for the brake levers, I guess you are wishing to replace them with an aero style lever? that is a good idea IMHO because they are a bit bigger and feel better in the hand.

the shifters are not original equipment that bike came with DT shifters. they have a ratchet mechanism in them and when shifting to a easier gear (pulling the rear (right) shifter up) it will pull a bit harder then when you push it down. if they are too stiff removing the lever from the 'pod' cleaning things up and reinstalling with a littel greas may make them work better. also if the cables are gummed up that could cause the problem.

what do you want the semichrome for? while I like my bikes clean and shinny I am not a huge fan of breaking out the polish and shinning things up.

here is a good source for all your Bianchi goodies https://www.bianchiusa.com/store/

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-23-10, 11:09 AM
TimButterfield

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
while this is a nice bike it is not a highly sought collector.
I didn't want to mess up something of value. Good user bike; I like that.

I do not quite understand what you mean about the brakes adjusted with the "locks on". do you mean the Quickrelease which is used to open the brake to replace the wheel or if the wheel is damaged. if you bikeshop does not have a anchor bolt that will work post some good pics of your brake shere and maybe one of us has something that will work.
Good translation of my 'newbie' lingo. They were rubbing and were much freer when I flipped that lever, though they could still clamp down. I'll adjust them properly once parts arrive. A friend of mine may have an anchor bolt. I've seen them online also (10-pack) if he or an LBS doesn't have them. This bike probably won't be my only need for them.

the shifters are not original equipment that bike came with DT shifters. they have a ratchet mechanism in them and when shifting to a easier gear (pulling the rear (right) shifter up) it will pull a bit harder then when you push it down.
I was wondering about DT shifters, but thought these may have been original as they said SunTour on them. I will put on DT shifters along with new cables.

what do you want the semichrome for? while I like my bikes clean and shinny I am not a huge fan of breaking out the polish and shinning things up.
I have some already that I use for my fountain pens. I thought it would make the stem and brakes look a little better. I don't want a mirror polish, just not so dull. It's a maybe for later; function first, then fluff.

here is a good source for all your Bianchi goodies https://www.bianchiusa.com/store/
I see what you're doing here. You're recruiting another fan. Maybe. We'll see. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. Any recommendations on favorite parts sources? Thanks.
Old 02-23-10, 11:46 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
WRT the bar tape wrap direction. Some would say there is a right and wrong way to wrap. I say you get to determine the "right" direction. In my youth, the tape was wrapped from the stem out using the bar end plugs to finish it out. Back then there wasn't the need for taping at the stem and there wasn't sticky tape on the back of the tape either. One of the reasons I liked starting at the stem was that the grip was enhanced with the exposed edge of the tape. That was back when tape was plastic and a bit slippery with bare sweaty hands!

Having said that, today I wrap from the bar end to the stem. Tape today has a lot more friction and I use gloves. I don't like the pain of finishing off near the stem, however. To each his own.
Old 02-23-10, 12:06 PM
fahrrad streber

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you're off to a great start. I'm new to this as well, but have found the hobby/habit sucks you in quickly.

I used/use "The Bicycling Guide..." and found it to be really handy; it's easy to follow and has great step by step instruction. And if you ever need more visual instruction I've always been able to find a youtube video.

I would bump the clean and rebuild up to your need to do section. The new grease will be great for the bike and it will help you feel more at one with the bike.

Happy wrenching!
Old 02-24-10, 12:27 AM
TimButterfield

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fahrrad streber
I would bump the clean and rebuild up to your need to do section. The new grease will be great for the bike and it will help you feel more at one with the bike.
I was thinking about this tonight and think you may be right. Depending on how much use it has had, it is possible the bearings could have some pitting. At a minimum, new grease would probably let parts move more freely, thus requiring less effort. I'll read through the books and see how much work this will be and which tools I will need to acquire.