Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do you use clipless pedals?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 06:10 PM
P4D 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The fancy clothes thread got me thinking about this a bit. I use SPD clipless pedals, and really dislike riding toe clips or flat pedals with regular shoes. I'm thinking maybe this is uncommon, and not that many C&V people use clipless shoes?
Old 03-15-10, 06:21 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I don't use them for a couple of reasons (or so) :

a. I am lazy to learn how to use them and for my life of me I cannot balance a stopped bike at a stop sign or a red light without taking one foot off the pedal and planting it on the ground
b. I like to wear shoes on a bike, that I can walk on if I need to without dealing with all that cleat stuff. Same argument, I like to pop into a bike on a spare of the moment situation, like driving into a new place and exploring an interesting path in the weekend (and I don't want to deal with hauling different shoes to do that). Yeah, I am a freak: I mount my bike on my car carrier when I go for pointless country drives on sunny weekends, just in case I see something I cannot explore with a car.
c. I even race with platform cages (triathlons). Use running shoes on them and I save a good couple of minutes in transitions
Old 03-15-10, 06:22 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by alexw
...I'm thinking maybe this is uncommon, and not that many C&V people use clipless shoes?

I'm thinking you are right !
Old 03-15-10, 06:26 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
I use SPD's on my bikes, with mountain bike style shoes. The torque multiplication effect from pushing one down and lifting one up is the biggest reason.
Old 03-15-10, 06:34 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've got a mixture of SPD-R (3 bikes), SPD (1 bike), and will soon have quill pedals and toe clips on another.
Old 03-15-10, 06:37 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
I use them. I find them more comfortable than clips and straps.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 03-15-10, 06:44 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Clips and straps have moving parts that confuse me, and cinching them down makes my feet go numb.

I'm addicted to the increased efficiency of somehow tying the foot to the pedal, so it's clipless for me. I need all the help I can get. Concentrating on the "pull" part of the stroke seems to help me on hills and/or to relax.

Just like shorts, though, my road shoes, once off the bike, are pretty ridiculous.

Thanks to nine14six, txvintage, High Fist Shin, and a couple others, I have enough old-school Looks (Delta cleats) to properly "accessorize" my red bikes.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-15-10 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-15-10, 06:51 PM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i used to use track pedals w/clips and double straps and now use time ATAC. on my bikes i actually go fast on i'll never go back. night and day.
Old 03-15-10, 06:53 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I am using SPD-SL pedals for the first time this year and I really like them so far. I was having toe numbness issues with toe clips on longer rides with our local bike club. The SPD-SL pedals are nice because the cleat is huge and it offers a nice large platform for the ball of your foot. Grant Peterson has doubts as far as riders using clipless pedals to lift the pedal on the up swing. I think he is probably onto something with that but so far clipless seems to offer a level of comfort that I had not had with toe clips. My club bike is not a C&V trophy so I guess that it doesn't really matter what pedals are on it.

For my commuter I use plain old MKS touring pedals and will probably add either power grips or half clips. I have toe clips on two of my nice C&V bikes but I don't put major amounts of miles on them.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-15-10, 07:08 PM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by EjustE
I don't use them for a couple of reasons (or so) :

I like to wear shoes on a bike, that I can walk on if I need to without dealing with all that cleat stuff. Same argument, I like to pop into a bike on a spare of the moment situation, like driving into a new place and exploring an interesting path in the weekend (and I don't want to deal with hauling different shoes to do that). Yeah, I am a freak: I mount my bike on my car carrier when I go for pointless country drives on sunny weekends, just in case I see something I cannot explore with a car.

That pretty much sums it up for me, too. One of my favorite destinations, Cabrillo National Monument, is one where I do a bit of walking once I get there. I want the option to walk comfortably.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 03-15-10, 07:14 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
Grant Peterson has doubts as far as riders using clipless pedals to lift the pedal on the up swing.
I will disagree with this. I've been using clipless pedals in some form or other since the late '80s and have never had an issue with pulling up on the up swing of the pedal stroke. Pro racers have been using them since their inception (except Sean Kelly ).
Perhaps Mr. Peterson just doesn't like them personally... But everyone is entitled to their opinions..
Old 03-15-10, 07:16 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Also, I've never had any problem with getting on any of my bikes with street shoes, tennis shoes, whatever, and riding 6~10 miles... regardless of what pedals they have, even little stubby mtn. bike SPD's.
Old 03-15-10, 07:18 PM
svt4cam
On a mission from God

Bikes: 6? Favorit (under construction), 82 Bianchi Nuovo Racer, 76 Alan, 8? Raleigh Fixie, 75 Atala, 94 Cannondale 2.8, 75 Paramount P13, 94 Cannondale RT1000 tandem, 76 Masi Gran Criterium, 81 Motobecane Grand Touring, 77 Mondia Super, 12 Specialized Crux

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use Spd's and Mountain bike shoes for several reasons. 1) Very hard to find old school cleated shoes in 12.5-13 size. 2) Much more efficient for climbing and out of the saddle work. 3) SPD mountain bike shoes aren't to bad to walk in.
Old 03-15-10, 07:32 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I'm using Crank Bros Candy pedals and Shimano MTB shoes on my Univega. Much more comfortable than the original toe clips. My feet would go numb in the middle of a ride. Pushing down and pulling up makes stops & starts in traffic that much easier. Looks like poopy
Old 03-15-10, 08:07 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Look Delta cleats and road shoes.

I seldom ride a bike on the road to "just go down the street". If I do, any of my walking shoes will work well enough on clipless pedals designed to take a Look Delta cleat.

On the mtb (offroad), I wear day hiking boots on big platform pedals with pins - downhill or BMX pedals, I think they are. I tried spd's, but my mtb handling skills are iffy on the rough stuff, and I like to be able to get off and walk if the trail is too steep. Plus, the spd's gave me wicked hot spots after a lot of riding.

But I always wear a helmet.

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-15-10, 08:07 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by frpax
I will disagree with this. I've been using clipless pedals in some form or other since the late '80s and have never had an issue with pulling up on the up swing of the pedal stroke. Pro racers have been using them since their inception (except Sean Kelly ).
Perhaps Mr. Peterson just doesn't like them personally... But everyone is entitled to their opinions..
Yeah, I am sure he does not like them. In his article he refers to studies where results show efficient peddlers simply push down less than novices on the upstroke. I wish he would have provided links to the studies to back up his claim. I am personally excited about clipless pedals so I do not share the exact feelings. I do feel it was worth mentioning though. Here is a link to his article in case anyone is interested: https://www.rivbike.com/article/clothing/the_shoes_ruse

Originally Posted by frpax
Also, I've never had any problem with getting on any of my bikes with street shoes, tennis shoes, whatever, and riding 6~10 miles... regardless of what pedals they have, even little stubby mtn. bike SPD's.
Anything under 10 or 15 miles I can ride in toe clips pretty comfortably, I usually start having trouble with numbness on anything beyond that. I have had different results with different shoes, the wider and looser shoes have been the best.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-15-10, 08:08 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
but of course! speedplays on the road and eggbeaters on the trail. I have used speedplays since the 1980's. Vintage in their own right. I still have a pair of the originals, and use 'em.
Old 03-15-10, 08:14 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
look keo classic on the "vintage" and fixed gear

eggbeater sl on the xc bike

i do have a set of mks platforms that may see use for summer commuting, but looks and my asics marathon flats does alright bumming around town
Old 03-15-10, 08:15 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I use both types. Even when using clipless I still have the muscle memory to reach down and let the strap go before a stop, old habits die hard.

On the track, I still use clips and straps with deep cleats. A friend used clipless and pulled out, (probably twisted his foot while pulling up hard out of the saddle starting a jump) Big Ouch for a long time.

When clipless first came out, I did not adopt them as the shoes were not up to the task and not designed to take the stress of lifting on the uppers without a strap, shoes were coming apart. I set some guys up with a strap I came up with that bolted under the shoe, adjustable, and took the load off the upper. Too bad I could not find a interested company at the time.
Old 03-15-10, 08:19 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
On the track, I still use clips and straps with deep cleats. A friend used clipless and pulled out, (probably twisted his foot while pulling up hard out of the saddle starting a jump) Big Ouch for a long time.
I've seen - first hand - a BF member go down on a restored Specialized Allez at 25mph thanks to a pair of old Look pedals and its cleats. Neither bike nor rider seriously injured.

-Kurt

Old 03-15-10, 08:23 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Speedplays for the road bikes; I unclip at stop signs--no fancy track balancing act here-- and have "coffee shop" cleat covers if I need to hobble about. For tooling around town-- the library, the market (it's a small town , or riding with my son to school, I ride my Specialized Hardrock with Zefal mini toe clips.

Hey luker, post some pics of your vintage SpeedPlays!
Old 03-15-10, 08:29 PM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to use them, no I find I prefer touring pedals on my road bikes (maybe with straps) and BMX pedals on my mountain bike. A nice set of Easton BMX or some knockoffs of the old Hutch beartraps. No issues on 15 mile mountain bike ride, have not done many miles on the roadies yet (need to htfu )
Old 03-15-10, 08:34 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
SPD-SLs on the road bikes. I have picked up some SPDs from a flip bike, and am going to try them out on a (new frame) Nexus7 build with some walkable shoes. Sometimes I would like to be able to ride somewhere and walk once I arrive.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 03-15-10, 09:16 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I use toeclips, straps, and slotted cleats on my fixed gear bike. Toeclips and straps with street shoes on my commuter. And Look clipless on my road bikes.
Old 03-15-10, 09:34 PM
McStuff

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Trek Elance 400T I'm looking at has clipless, but I'm going to replace them because I don't want to buy the shoes for them and deal with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.