Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lock carrying location?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Lock carrying location?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 10:41 PM
chico1st
30mi/day commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lock carrying location?

Hi I was looking through the vintage pictures thread and very few people seem to carry any sort of lock holder. I would be so crushed if someone stole my vintage bike.

Where do you carry your locks? I have traditional U-lock holder but it looks lame

Last edited by chico1st; 03-28-10 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-28-10, 11:10 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
I very rarely leave my bike out of sight, except at work where there were security guards at the only entrance, but I just use a very thin cable and lock that I can fit in the saddle bag.
Old 03-28-10, 11:23 PM
chico1st
30mi/day commuter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
damn i definitely dont have that option
Old 03-28-10, 11:34 PM
mykesbykes

Bikes: to many, maybe a 100...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a nice cable lock that clips into a hanger off my seat, the nice thing is the coils are tight so it doesnt jump around, and I can change the combo when I want to lend it to someone.
Old 03-28-10, 11:37 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
My vintage commuter gets locked up out of site every once in a while. I carry my U-lock in a pannier bag attached to my back rack.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-28-10, 11:58 PM
KtotheF

Bikes: Scott CR1, 1986 Guerciotti SLX, Mystery Ti Bike, 1990 Diamondback EX fixie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a kryptonite evo mini, pretty compact little ulock. This probably isn't helpful, but I discovered my messenger bag that I usually have with me has a little loop that is perfect for holding the lock. I see a lot of people that have those locks put them in their back pocket, which works ok for short rides, but isn't ideal.

Google ulock holder or holsters, I think there are a few companies that make holsters to fit on your belt, that seems like a pretty good idea
Old 03-29-10, 02:11 AM
nickkoto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride my bike to campus a lot and the cable lock and mini U-lock go in my backpack with the books.

I do have a decent place to put my bike though, which is rare at ASU. I wouldn't recommend leaving anything at most university bike racks where the animals will get to it, no matter how good the locks are.
Old 03-29-10, 02:45 AM
pibach

Bikes: Dahon Mu Sport & Mu Ex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a 100cm x 25mm ABUS, put it around like a belt. With nearly 2 kg it is a bith heavy though. And it conflicts with a backpack. Thats why I also bought an Evo Mini. Goes in a pocket, true, but I think I prefer the belt-like way. On the plus side it is rather light weight (840g) but still reletively secure. Otherwise I dont't like anything on the bike, that makes it less manoeverable. So adapters are not an option for me, annyway.
Old 03-29-10, 05:43 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
I leave my lock attached to the rack at work. No need to carry it if you're commuting to the same place every day. Otherwise, I either go to places where the bike can come in with me, or carry a U lock in my bag (either pannier or messenger), which is less than ideal.
Old 03-29-10, 06:46 PM
jhefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Bikes: '74 Viscount Aerospace GP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chico1st
Hi I was looking through the vintage pictures thread and very few people seem to carry any sort of lock holder.
The C&V setup in the 1970s was a chain; either store-bought with a clear plastic tube over it, or a homemade version with an old inner tube around it. It was locked with a Master lock, and wrapped around the seat post when not in use.
Old 03-29-10, 07:39 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
For shopping or stuff, I'm riding bikes or trikes with cargo space, and just throw the lock in there.
For my nice bike, I don't leave it out of sight, and take a cable lock in a handlebar bag for bathroom stops or something like that.
Old 03-29-10, 07:57 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by jhefner
The C&V setup in the 1970s was a chain; either store-bought with a clear plastic tube over it, or a homemade version with an old inner tube around it. It was locked with a Master lock, and wrapped around the seat post when not in use.
I got my first bike with one of those. I didn't have the key and couldn't access the bolt to release the stem. Eventually, I got tired of it and unsuccessfully tried to cut it off with a saw. After several progressively more aggressive attempts, I called a local locksmith and found that he would just make me a key using the number on the lock. I used it for years after that. I wonder what I did with that thing.
Old 03-29-10, 08:56 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I carry a Krypto mini U lock with me when needing to lock up. I work at a bike shop so my bike goes right on the sales floor during work. The lock gets carried in my saddle bag, handlebar bag, messenger bag, or even my rear pocket during the ride depending on which bike I am on. Most of my locking of my bike involves a quick trip into a store or a longer stop at a local water hole
Old 03-29-10, 09:04 PM
frpax
Steel is real, baby!

Bikes: 1984 Pinarello, 1986 Bianchi Portofino, 1988 Bianchi Trofeo, 1989 Specialized Allez, 1989 Specialized Hard Rock, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I carry mine in the trunk bag of my commuter if I'm taking it somewhere for, say, an errand. If I take one of my race bikes out, it doesn't leave my sight. Fortunately, I can park any of my bikes inside where I work.
Old 03-29-10, 09:19 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by chico1st
Where do you carry your locks?(
The same place I carried them when these vintage bikes were contemporary:

Around the seat tube.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-29-10, 09:20 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
I only leave my bike between the doors at CVS or infront of Dunkers. just put it in your backpack or pannier

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-29-10, 09:58 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
When I commuted with a bike, there was a perfect sized space between the rails of my rear rack and the flat part (it was a Blackburn MB-something or another) to drop a U lock (on the non-drive side) so it will stay on the bike and would not interfere with its operation. That's where my lock spent most of its time.
Old 03-30-10, 07:38 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by jhefner
I used a plastic covered cable in the 1970s. They were available in both straight and curled. I carried mine in a handlebar bag. People with good bikes did not wrap a chain around their seat post!
Old 03-30-10, 07:50 AM
fahrrad streber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a decent cable lock from Target that came with a clip. I don't have enough seat post for the rear light and lock holder, so the lock holder is on the seat tube, I can attach the coiled lock over the rear brake and between the seat stays. I've also coiled it around the stem.

How about something like this?
https://www.instructables.com/id/Bike-Lock-Holder/
Old 03-30-10, 08:47 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
If I need to lock my bike up, I won't take my bike. It really is not a concern where I ride.

Back when I did live where I needed a lock (a lifetime ago), I used the coiled cable with plastic coating, and used the rear of the saddle rail as the attachment point for the lock while riding.
Old 03-30-10, 11:14 AM
jhefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Bikes: '74 Viscount Aerospace GP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I used a plastic covered cable in the 1970s. They were available in both straight and curled. I carried mine in a handlebar bag. People with good bikes did not wrap a chain around their seat post!
Even during the bike boom of the 1970s; most of your riders were kids going to school or college. Few of them had a handlebar or saddle bag (I did on my Varsity); so they just wrapped it around the seat post.

Those with nice bikes usually only rode them on outings; you had a few who rode to work and back, but for most, it was recreation. They didn't carry a lock at all; the bike stayed with them all the time. (Thinking of my brother and some of our customers.)

I didn't consider my Viscount Aerospace G.P. to be a "bad" bike, so I keep the bike chain wrapped around the seatpost. And it didn't look out of place.

-James

EDIT: Those with really nice bikes would be stupid to leave them locked up with a chain; had mine cut with a bolt cutter by a fellow student at the trade school I attended; fortunately, I was able to recover it. Even back then, the "Kryptonite" U bolt locks were available; though I don't recall a bracket for carrying them.

Last edited by jhefner; 03-30-10 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-30-10, 11:40 AM
kludgefudge

Bikes: late 80's bianchi campion d'italia, early 90's trek 2100, early 90's shogun selectra, mid 90's aluminum marin xcMTB, dept. store grade but upgraded columbia double eagle tandem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on my "nice bike" I have a large saddle wedge that fits my ABUS segmented lock or one of my cheap coilers. if its filled up with stuff I just figure 8 it around my stem. On my other everyday ride I either keep whatever lock I am using in the pannier or do the stem figure 8. Obviously you can't do this with a U lock.
Old 03-30-10, 02:32 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I never had a good bike. Didn't much care.

Originally Posted by Doohickie
The same place I carried them when these vintage bikes were contemporary:

Around the seat tube.
Note that the cable and Master lock in that picture have been in my posession since the 1970s.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-30-10, 02:51 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
When riding my 1975 Schwinn Continental to high school, I had a coiled cable and a Master padlock. To carry it, I'd run the lock shackle through the loops on the ends of the cable then lock that to the saddle rail behind the seatpost clamp.

Now, I have a light-weight coiled cable with built-in lock. I carry it in my seat pack but only if I plan on stopping somewhere on the ride. It isn't super-secure but enough in the situations I'd leave my bike unattended (like inside the grocery store).
Old 03-30-10, 03:28 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
It varies, but here's a list from most to least common for me, kinda depends on which bike I got:

- backpack (just stuck in the back flap for easy access)
- between the inner plate and outer rod of my blackburn rack
- pannier
- hangin' off the handlebar, U part on the brake hood, held in place by my hand for the roadbike, to keep it from rubbing the front wheel. Higher bars and more cables on the bars make it easier on the MTBs and cruisers
- stuffed under a bungie holding down the load on my trailer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.