Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Android cycle meter app with map and elevation profile

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-13, 03:41 PM
ifanpayne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any suggestions for an Android app for a smart phone (Droid Razr in my case) aimed a biking that I can use for cycling mapped century routes?

I am looking for an app that displays the route, gives direction prompts (preferably audible as well as visual) and also displays and tracks current position on an elevation profile (which need not be on the same screen). Something that shows where I am in terms of horizontal and vertical location and where I am going. It the app displays other information - speed and distance for example - that's a bonus but there are plenty of cycle computer apps that provide that information.
Old 07-04-13, 07:14 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There is an app called "Cue Sheet" that gives turn-by-turn audible prompts. I haven't tried it yet. I do not know of any other apps with turn-by-turn prompts.
Old 07-05-13, 09:43 AM
ifanpayne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
There is an app called "Cue Sheet" that gives turn-by-turn audible prompts. I haven't tried it yet. I do not know of any other apps with turn-by-turn prompts.
Thanks. I have looked at the description and it seems to be a useful app. Judging from similar discussions on various forums there seems to be a real gap between demand and supply here. I would have thought that multimedia cue sheets would be an ideal project for mobile apps.
Old 07-05-13, 10:02 AM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Alternately, you can use a Garmin Edge 800/810 with the Open Street Maps and get all you want without draining your cell phone battery.
I got the Edge 800 when they were on clearance for 209 last month after the 100 garmin rebate.
Old 07-05-13, 03:35 PM
ifanpayne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have just found another Android app: Track Navigator which seems to be a clone of Cue Sheet, at least they seem very similar. I will try them both out during the week end,