Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike Friendly Job keeping me from retiring.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 07:11 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I must say, that I am very, very fortunate to work at a very bike friendly job. In fact, my job is so bike friendly, that I have put off my retirement.
I work at an educational institution. I commute on bicycle and motorcycle 95% of the time.

I can keep my bicycle in my cube or a space about 20 feet from my cube. Never, ever outside. Also, here is where the super bike-friendly shows. On super rainy and storm-like
days on the return leg, I will leave my bike on the job. Nothing is said and it is all part of the office atmosphere. Also, when I ride my motorcycle to work,
no parking lots, my motorcycle comes to a special spot, where I can see it from my window, and it is away from everybody. When it rains, I have another spot, where I can park my motorcycle, which is secure and
away from the rain. Also, a couple years ago, when my coworkers saw that I was commuting on two wheels most of the time, and was putting my changes of clothes in my cabinets, they had a locker installed in my cube.
In my locker I keep three changes of clothes, and toilet items. The restroom is about 25 feet from my cube, so when I come in in the morning, I wash off, change clothes and get to work.

Today, is one of my double days. I have a bicycle and the motorcycle here together. I left the bicycle yesterday because of a storm, and I rode in this morning on the motorcycle. So, today I will take the bicycle to go to lunch about half a mile from my job, and leave it, and ride the motorcycle home.
One day, it got so good, whereas, I have left a bicycle here on the weekend because of the weather, and rode another bike in that Monday. That made me have two bicycles inside my job site, and everything is okay with my supervisors and co-workers. On that day I came up with the idea of telling my wife to meet me at work, and we can go have dinner on the bicycles. That worked out well, except the spot she picked to have dinner was $100 for the both of us.
Back to my bike friendly job. With this kind of treatment, along with the perk job, it is dam hard for me to retire at 74 years old. Going to put it off for another 6 months and see what goes then..

Ride safe everybody,
Old 07-10-14, 07:27 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Sounds great. At $100 a pop for dinner though you may need to stay Just kidding of course.

I have that type of scenario as well (bikes, motorcycles in safe locations), but can add the bus to the list of ways I can get to and from. Took the bus in today, will take it half way home this evening, and walk the remaining 3.5 miles after a few pints with pals. Life is grand.
Old 07-10-14, 08:26 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
First on the dinner, it has an outside dinning area which was perfect for our bicycles and we were dress in bicycle gear. However, we don't go there often. About 2 or 3 times a year..
the place..
Phillips Seafood Baltimore Restaurant | Award Winning Crab Cakes

I am right there with you with the bus, and can add the subway too. My commute on the bicycle consist of about 5 to 6 miles to the subway, and then 2 miles to the job.. dam ashamed to admit that little bit. However, most of the time, I am early, and I exit the subway about 3 to 4 stops ahead, and get out and ride, and extra 5 to 7 miles, all downhill too. Also, when I am running late, when I exit the subway, again, ashamed to admit, but sometime I put the bike on the bus for that uphill two miles.. All good..

Haven't did the walk thing, might include that too.

On the motorcycle it is a 40 mile round trip, but it is quick.
Life is indeed grand...
Old 07-10-14, 09:19 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
BTW - my father-in-law just retired (I think/I've heard tell) at 89. Still plays softball, golfs, cuts the 1+ acre lawn, and in winter plays volleyball. Guy is the pinch runner for the "younger" guys. He wanted to let the younger guys have a shot at running the place, but could still be working full time otherwise.

Also, my pop is 75 (fully retired) and walks and swims daily, and on Sundays he's out on his Harley-Davidson. He and I have been known to cover 400 miles per day for 5 day trips (he is on a Sportster too with no complaints!). He also helps me around my houses doing pretty strenuous work, again with no complaints.

Keep moving and you'll do great!
Old 07-11-14, 05:55 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
BTW - my father-in-law just retired (I think/I've heard tell) at 89. Still plays softball, golfs, cuts the 1+ acre lawn, and in winter plays volleyball. Guy is the pinch runner for the "younger" guys. He wanted to let the younger guys have a shot at running the place, but could still be working full time otherwise.

Also, my pop is 75 (fully retired) and walks and swims daily, and on Sundays he's out on his Harley-Davidson. He and I have been known to cover 400 miles per day for 5 day trips (he is on a Sportster too with no complaints!). He also helps me around my houses doing pretty strenuous work, again with no complaints.

Keep moving and you'll do great!
Tell your pop, that when I grow up, I wanna be just like him!!!
Old 07-11-14, 03:26 PM
Ridefreemc

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
Tell your pop, that when I grow up, I wanna be just like him!!!
Thanks Me too.
Old 07-11-14, 03:56 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I must say, that I am very, very fortunate to work at a very bike friendly job. In fact, my job is so bike friendly, that I have put off my retirement.

…That worked out well, except the spot she picked to have dinner was $100 for the both of us.

Back to my bike friendly job. With this kind of treatment, along with the perk job, it is dam hard for me to retire at 74 years old. Going to put it off for another 6 months and see what goes then…]
Oh Yeah?

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…one other enjoyable advantage of my job is that I have a nearly perfect commute and the ride to work is a pleasant part of the job. Indeed, I usually go into work on Saturday for a few hours by way of a long training ride during the nice weather, and even during the winter, partly to have a destination to ride.

…Humbly, if Bike Forums ever had a Best Commute Award, I would be a frontrunner

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways":
  1. I have a direct one-way 14 mile ride outbound from downtown Boston to a suburb through varied pleasant residential and light commercial streets (pleasant urban; pleasant suburban; ritzy suburban; and gritty, but safe and interesting urban neighborhoods). IMO, 10 miles is a minimum distance for exercise benefit.
  2. I don’t punch a clock, so I can come to work at my own time, within reason, so I commute very early in the AM, and can start working immediately on arrival.
  3. For training purposes I can extend my commute through additional nice routes including premier cycling suburbs, such as Dover and Sherborn.
  4. Major roads on my route are expeditiously plowed in the winter.
  5. I can take my bike on a Commuter Rail about 1.5 miles from my home, and about 500 yards from my workplace.
  6. At my workplace I can keep my bike indoors with plenty of space to hang my clothes including use of a floor fan to dry off.
  7. My workplace has showers, a cafeteria, coffee shop, and a place to sleep if I decide to stay overnight. I can use WiFi , or post the to the Internet for diversion if I do.
  8. Most of my work day is spent in hospital scrubs, so I don’t have to clean up too much, or keep a lot of clean clothes on site.
  9. Almost all my personal service needs like barber shop, dentist, dry-cleaner/tailor, supermarket, drugstore, good take-out restaurants and a bike shop are all within walking distance of my workplace, or a short hop on the bike
  10. I'm a well-known cyclist, and get a lot of respect for that.
First on the dinner, it has an outside dinning area which was perfect for our bicycles and we were dress in bicycle gear. However, we don't go there often. About 2 or 3 times a year..
the place..
Phillips Seafood Baltimore Restaurant | Award Winning Crab Cakes
On a few trips to Baltimore, I frequently enjoyed a restaurant on Lombard St at Charles, or Light Sts, near the Inner Harbor Days Inn, but it was gone the last time was there in around 2013. Could that have been Phillips restaurant in a prior location?
Old 07-11-14, 06:47 PM
peskypesky

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My company is bike-friendly too. We can take our bikes up the service elevator and keep in the office, no problem.
Old 07-12-14, 06:00 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Oh Yeah?

On a few trips to Baltimore, I frequently enjoyed a restaurant on Lombard St at Charles, or Light Sts, near the Inner Harbor Days Inn, but it was gone the last time was there in around 2013. Could that have been Phillips restaurant in a prior location?
First, you get a super thumbs up on your BIKE FRIENDLY workplace and environment, tis a joy just to read!!

Was that the STRIP JOINT?? Just kidding, they are renovating that whole area, and most likely that restaurant is gone! Phillps was always in the Inner Harbor, they just took a bigger spot, hence I helped pay for it!!
Old 07-12-14, 06:04 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by peskypesky
My company is bike-friendly too. We can take our bikes up the service elevator and keep in the office, no problem.
Great stuff!!

However, I have run into an employee that did not like the bicycle or the storing of the bicycle even in the building! He also wrote a long letter to the main supervisor listing a thousand things I am doing wrong! He also stated that I changed close in my cubical!! haha

Of course his rant did not work, and to this day, that employee does not speak to me!
Old 07-14-14, 07:49 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,635 Times in 946 Posts
My org is sharing space in 2 buildings. Where I start and finish the day 4 of us have the entire 3rd floor. My bike is parked in a large utility room that few others go into.
Old 07-14-14, 08:25 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've got a bike friendly job, but there's no way I'll be working at age 74. I'll probably hold out until 65 or 66, so I can get my full pension and Social Security, but retiring at 62 is looking awfully tempting. I've got too many things that I want to do other than work.