Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1985 Raleigh RacingUSA Series(Warning Long/Big Pics

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-29-16, 08:07 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

First off, I am an amateur compared to you guys, so bear with me..

https://www.google.com/search?q=1985...AhJFxgAD45M%3A

In 1985 Raleigh America made the Raleigh RacingUSA Series. Made in Japan, with Raleigh 555T tubing.
What is so unique about the 1985 Series is the design. They all had chrome headtubes, chain/seatstays, chrome forks, in fact they all look alike except for different components and different colors. One of them I think was made in 1984, with the same design, that is the Super Course. They have a Blackberry and a Blue Super Course with the same 1985 design. I have the blue one, which might be the 84 model because the forks are slightly different. They do not slope like the others do, and they have an emblem on the crown of the fork..So, the Blackberry Super Course I do not have, and that may very well have the sloping fork crown like the others, indicating that it is the TRUE 1985 Super Course.

I have all 4 of them, and have doubled up on the Grand Prix, I have 2 Grand Prix (s). Although I am strictly into vintage, I am don't adhere to originality. I like to put the seats, wheels, tires, and components that are pleasing to my eye. The only thing original I do keep is they all stay with dt shifters. Today, one of the rare days lately I have a little energy, I pulled them all out, oiled them, air in the tires, and man oh man, I rode all of them. All of them have a sweet ride, tight, smooth, and shifts smoothly. The Super Course really hits the ceiling in ride and smoothness.
Robbie Tunes built the 2 Grand Prix(s) and the Super Course. The top of the line Prestige and Competion are my doing, as in adding wheels, tires, seat, and getting and new bar wrap..

One funny thing happened the other day, that prompted me to get them out. Since I have not been up to my regular high energy self, and some complication, some of my family members mentioned what will happened to the bikes when I pass!!!! WTF!! So, even my non-riding, non bike liking family, do see the uniques of my bikes.

Enough of my blabbing, here is the group. Took the pictures with my Note 4, really wanted an nice background, but this was spirit of the moment, so I took these..

Last edited by cehowardGS; 06-29-16 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 08:34 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
The red Grand Prix is the bike used in the intro bicycle scene in the Kevin Bacon "Quicksilver" movie... I always wanted to give the bike a moniker befitting it's acting role, along the lines of the "Miami Vice" coined for the canary/magenta 1987 Centurion Ironman.
Old 06-29-16, 08:45 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Excellent x 5. Wow, what a collection. You make vintage COOL. Glad to see you're doing better.
Old 06-29-16, 08:53 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Beautiful bikes..
Old 06-29-16, 09:17 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
You sir, have a knack for picking up NICE Raleighs.
Old 06-29-16, 10:12 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
The red Grand Prix is the bike used in the intro bicycle scene in the Kevin Bacon "Quicksilver" movie... I always wanted to give the bike a moniker befitting it's acting role, along the lines of the "Miami Vice" coined for the canary/magenta 1987 Centurion Ironman.
Maybe the red Grand Prix is in the intro but the white Competition is the main bike in the movie!

Wonderful collection of the oft-maligned Raleigh Racing USA lineup. The 84/85 chrome models are some of my favorite vintage frames and you have the entire flight! So jealous. My 84 retro-mod Competition continues to be the one bike she'd never get in the settlement.
Old 06-29-16, 10:29 PM
msl109

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Nice collection. I have an 86 prestige - 531c instead of 555, but not as pretty. Had an 83 Olympian in Burgundy in college - what I could afford. I remember ogling these as a kid - just scored the Prestige frame a few weeks back, about thirty odd years later. Built up into a sweet bike. Enjoy yours.
Old 06-29-16, 11:18 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
All such handsome bikes. Really hard to pick a favorite. Nice work by both you and Mr. Tunes.

I'm going to have to add "Raleigh USA" to more of my searches. All that chrome
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 06-30-16, 06:25 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Very good post, you have quite a nice collection of Raleighs there, Mr. Howard. Your shots of the grouped bikes is one of the best photos I have seen here, good composition and color arrangement. Appreciate your sharing with us, and that you are doing better so you can join in here more often.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-30-16, 09:33 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Just took my 1985 Raleigh Alyeska on tour DC to Pittsburgh. 555 Tubing etc. Great bicycle.

Old 06-30-16, 01:45 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Racing USA's

Since I have been so fortunate to have met our friend Mr. Howard, and worked on his bikes, I had to get one for myself.

Pics will come, but my Competition is a sweetie, and I have Coleman to thank for the nudge in that direction. I plan to show it at the Dairyland Dare.

I think he's starting his own cult, but he has one foot in the Ironman camp, too. My hero, among few.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 06-30-16 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 04:09 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 595 Posts
Nice to see someone else rides a "normal" size frame. I haven't gotten to mine yet but here it is "as found". The chrome on the chain stays isn't too sweet but otherwise the paint and chrome are good, the white marks on the top tube are just paint smudges from something else, should buff right out.

Old 06-30-16, 04:13 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
That is a handsome looking collection of Raleighs.
Old 06-30-16, 04:17 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 300 Posts
^ You are going to love that Prestige. Got a really good deal on one about a month ago. Passed along the deal to a buddy who now has the frameset, parted out some pieces on BF to break me even and I end up with a Superbe group and Araya wheels at no cost.

We're going to build up the frame this weekend as a retro mod with 9spd Dura Ace. These frames are great for that.
Old 06-30-16, 04:45 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Very cool, especially the group pic. The chrome stays and fork always work. Like the choice in deep profile rims too. All are terrific but that blue is gorgeous.
Thanks for showing!

(Also noted your Gixer. One that I'll never forget.... brand spakin' wet in 1986. Red, white and blue.. 1100cc. Lot's of wild times and bench talk. Went nutz with the motor, the whole enchilada. Best was blowing the internal baffle out of the Yosh pipe, stage 4. Shot out like a cannon on the main straight at Blackhawk Farms. Back pressure was too much for the rivets holding the baffle and they cut thru the can- LOL. )
Old 06-30-16, 06:18 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
Maybe the red Grand Prix is in the intro but the white Competition is the main bike in the movie!

Wonderful collection of the oft-maligned Raleigh Racing USA lineup. The 84/85 chrome models are some of my favorite vintage frames and you have the entire flight! So jealous. My 84 retro-mod Competition continues to be the one bike she'd never get in the settlement.
That one is monikered by me, at least, as the "Quicksilver" Raleigh, even though it's mostly white...
Old 06-30-16, 06:46 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
Now, I have to go and get that movie..
Old 06-30-16, 06:49 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Excellent x 5. Wow, what a collection. You make vintage COOL. Glad to see you're doing better.
Thanks, and they give me joy just looking at them too.

On the Competition, which I think has the best wheels of them all, I might go for a wheel and tire change, red strip tires, and white wheels..And high end red bar tape..See if the 2nd from the top Competition can catch up with the 2 Gramd Prix(s) and the mighty Super Course.
Old 06-30-16, 06:56 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nesteel
You sir, have a knack for picking up NICE Raleighs.
I learned every thing I know about purchasing bikes, right here in C&V.. To give you idea, I learned how to wait, pick my spot, as on Ebay, and craigslist. The 1st Grand Prix, I got for $50, the 2nd one I think I paid $90..and the Super Course is a fairy tale story. I paid $150 for it, but it was in bad shape, I almost turned it down, not for the price, but because it was so beat up and in shambles. Dam if Robbie Tunes didn't make the Super Course the best of the lot.
The Competition I paid $150.. and the rare Prestige, I paid $500. The Prestige was like new, but I did a wheel, tire, seat and bar wrap change.
Old 06-30-16, 06:58 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Now, if the Grand Prix and the Competition is in that movie, gotta see. I saw it way back, but that was when I only had 1 bike...
Old 06-30-16, 07:00 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
Thanks, and they give me joy just looking at them too.
Ain't that the truth - nothing quite like sitting in the bike room with your favorite libation (if any) for a good stare. Beautiful bikes. Glad to see your post.

Last edited by Sir_Name; 06-30-16 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 07:02 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by msl109
Nice collection. I have an 86 prestige - 531c instead of 555, but not as pretty. Had an 83 Olympian in Burgundy in college - what I could afford. I remember ogling these as a kid - just scored the Prestige frame a few weeks back, about thirty odd years later. Built up into a sweet bike. Enjoy yours.
I have an 86 Grand Prix too, 531, it is my beater.. All rusted, but even with that somebody stole it, but I got it back a week later..It has a sweet ride too. I agree, the 86 models are better, but for my taste, they don't have that pizzaz that the chrome laded 85 models have.If I do see another 86 Grand Prix, in my size, for my kind of price, I will snag it..
Old 06-30-16, 07:05 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
Just took my 1985 Raleigh Alyeska on tour DC to Pittsburgh. 555 Tubing etc. Great bicycle.

Awesome, truly Awesome!!
Old 06-30-16, 07:10 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Nice to see someone else rides a "normal" size frame. I haven't gotten to mine yet but here it is "as found". The chrome on the chain stays isn't too sweet but otherwise the paint and chrome are good, the white marks on the top tube are just paint smudges from something else, should buff right out.

Sweet, the top of Raleigh RacingUsa Series is the Prestige, and believe me, the 85 Raleigh Prestige is a rare, rare bird.

You are good to just find one, and to find one your size is very fortunate. The good thing is, a lot of people are not privvy to the 85 RacingUsa Series. That is how I was able to really lay low, and snipe most of mine.

I seen a Competition on Ebay for upward of $700
Old 06-30-16, 07:13 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
^ You are going to love that Prestige. Got a really good deal on one about a month ago. Passed along the deal to a buddy who now has the frameset, parted out some pieces on BF to break me even and I end up with a Superbe group and Araya wheels at no cost.

We're going to build up the frame this weekend as a retro mod with 9spd Dura Ace. These frames are great for that.
Can't wait to see the outcome. Like I said earlier in this thread, the Prestige is a rare, rare one..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.