Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How 'retrogrouchy' are you?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How 'retrogrouchy' are you?

Old 07-21-16, 10:14 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
My vehicles are 1996 Z3, 1998, and two from 2003. Mini S is 6 speed.
I have several cases of 1980's premium wines.

Do I feel grouchy or retro? No. Most millenials dig my stuff.

I was offered a deal on a Z4 a customer of mine was selling --- I was hesitant because I was worried about it being the "German Miata" --- is that a real consideration or am I way off base?

I live in "musclecar territory" but still have a taste for Euro-centric things --- as in, I was recently perusing websites for a decent deal on a Boxster - when a buddy said - "Why do you want a chick car?"

I didn't know what to say---- not everybody likes Camaro SS's and lifted F-350's

Somebody told me regarding the Z car that color is everything --- go for black , silver or red and its a car for all seasons and reasons ------ the one in question is gunmetal grey and I've had my mind on it for a month !

In the meantime, I get my convertible kicks in a '00 Jeep Wrangler , - yellow in color. I was at a gas station the other day and I had 2 6 gallon race cans of VP fuel for my off road bikes in the back bay (cans were pink - ) - plus had a little pink handkerchief I took off my Pekingese hanging from the rear view mirror ----

A well intentioned gent looked at all the yellow and pink and said to me -- "your daughter's a lucky gal to have a ride like that !"

I merely said "yep!" ----- but as I rolled out , I thought -- pink cans, pink kerchief, attack dog is a
Peke, (the little dog in my sig pic ) yellow jeep, ---- oh boy oh boy
Old 07-22-16, 04:48 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
bulldog1935,
You lost me at P-chem, I avoided that one completely. It was a major reason for abandoning a Chemical Eng degree, and switching to Environmental Eng. Just wasn't in the cards for this slow, less than intelligent guy, thankfully. Once organic chem was over, I activated to enlisted status, I switched after getting out of the Marines.

We did the make your own slide rule when I tool my HS physics, first three weeks were all slide rule use and application. Best three weeks of HS and well worth the time, I took physics as a junior, with the instructor's permission, really got my Alg II instructor's goat too. Ahh, fun times as an outcast and outsider from the cool kids.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 07-22-16 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-22-16, 05:01 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
In HS Physics, kept two sheets of semi-log at the bottom of my paper stack to speed up checking calculations in exams
My two surprising A's in college were P-Chem and Tensor Analysis - honestly didn't know how I stood in either class, but I guess everyone else was out there, too.
I was NROTC at Vanderbilt, bought my Raleigh at Cumberland Transit there.
In my daughter's generation, the smart kids are the cool kids.
Old 07-22-16, 05:51 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
It's mostly the features and build quality why I buy and keep vintage stuff. When I was transporting a 40 lbs 1975 Sansui amplifier on a 48 lbs 50's bike it was just because both fitted my needs best.

But what I really like about vintage and I hardly ever see in modern stuff, is the 'making things beautifull, just because you can'. Of course on modern bikes every part is designed too, but not many current manufacturers could be bothered with engraving handle bars or elaborate lugs.

Take a sprocket like this for example, there's also one in my avatar.

I was about 11 years old when I got an old 26" Gazelle bike out of my grandpa's shed after he died. It hadn't moved for decades so it needed a little basic maintenance. I took off the fully enclosed leather chainguard and saw the sprocket with it's cut out Gazelles. Of course there are other beautiful sprockets, but this one was not meant to be shown. It was meant to stay hidden behind in the chaingard, if you were maintaining your bike really well, you'd open the chain guard only once every year. They designed and made the sprocket this beautiful, just to please the eyes of the owner or the LBS for 5 minutes while oiling and checking the chain. That's a lot of effort for little exposure, but it made me feel really appreciated by the manufacturer, both as an owner and maintainer.

That really sparked my continuing love for stuff that is made well and aims to please in all it's detail, and without it I might have given up on learning to work on bicycles.

Originally Posted by Bikerider007
All the people in the group with 4 door, windows up, AC blowin' Rubicons think I am crazy! Guys in large bike groups probably thing the same when I roll up on an old bike and they are all on CF.
They might say you're crazy, but a few of them probably think 'what does he know that I don't?'
Old 07-22-16, 06:02 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Interesting!!

I have friends that won't fish with me unless we break out the bamboo/Hardy combos.

Maybe they're the fly fishing retrogrouches?

I personally like the big game rods like the Sage Musky II.

11 weight line and 9 feet rod length is so hard to beat for throwing big flies to toothy critters.

Pike & Musky Fly Rods | Sage Fly Fishing

Fly fishing for Musky... Tossing cat toys with hooks in them

I imagine the fight must be fantastic though.
Old 07-22-16, 06:39 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
I was offered a deal on a Z4 a customer of mine was selling --- I was hesitant because I was worried about it being the "German Miata" --- is that a real consideration or am I way off base?

I live in "musclecar territory" but still have a taste for Euro-centric things --- as in, I was recently perusing websites for a decent deal on a Boxster - when a buddy said - "Why do you want a chick car?"

I didn't know what to say----not everybody likes Camaro SS's and lifted F-350's

Somebody told me regarding the Z car that color is everything --- go for black , silver or red and its a car for all seasons and reasons ------ the one in question is gunmetal grey and I've had my mind on it for a month !
I lived in Tulsa in 1978-1979, I did not find it to be intolerant of a 1973 Saab 99LE or my wearing black tie while commuting on a burgundy 1978 Suzuki GS750. Other managers had the first Honda Accord and Renault Le Car as well (well the Le Car owner was a "chick").

If the Z4 has an automatic, I would pass. For about a year, I had a Porsche 996 4S Cabriolet with Tiptronic paddle shifters and I never felt totally at one with the vehicle due to that system.

A Z4 in dark grey looks sharp. The seriously wide rubber on all 4 corners and the sweetest inline 6 cylinder on the planet takes it out of comparison with a Miata. The Z4 is also at least $10K more out the door when new.
Old 07-22-16, 08:07 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
Fly fishing for Musky... Tossing cat toys with hooks in them

I imagine the fight must be fantastic though.
Heh, good idea.

These lures are spendy. I have a good range of lures, but my Ballok's Northwoods Ninja and Musky Moneys are really killer.

The Musky bite is on here. Just caught a 41 incher yesterday at Lake Nokomis.

It's like catching a torpedo......
Old 07-22-16, 08:56 AM
rootboy 

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Holy cwap! I hope you're making your own, Grady. TWENTY BUCKS for a fly!!!??? (On one site I just checked)

A 41 inch fish, eh? That's fantastic, man. I can't imagine hooking one of those monsters in shallow water in a lake. But I'd love to try it.
Old 07-22-16, 09:03 AM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by tarwheel
This thread reminds me of a book I read long ago, The Survival of the Birch Bark Canoe by John McPhee. Great book and my inspiration for making a mid-career switch into journalism. The book chronicles a guy who makes birch bark canoes just like the Native Americans, except for one small detail. He sealed his canoes with asphalt caulk and said it was the only modern material that he had found superior to that used by the natives (they used pitch from fir trees). Other than that, he built his canoes exactly like the Indians.
Wonderful book, Tarwheel. As are many of his others. I wouldn't chalk what he did up to being "retro" though.
A personal challenge and a anthropological-historical experiment, perhaps.
Still, I suppose it does speak to an effort to do things "the old way".
Like making a cabinet without any powered tools, for example...or even making a lugged steel bicycle frame, I guess.
Old 07-22-16, 09:28 AM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by bulldog1935
Fly fishing and cycling have retrogrouches for the same reason. Both are industries run by rags knowing if they're going to sell you this year's model, they're going to have to convince you that last year's model is obsolete.
So true, Bulldog. And rampant in just about every outdoor pursuit that requires gear.
I was musing through a recent catalog that arrived here last week. Most companies have learned to stop sending me their fly fishing gear catalogs as I rarely if ever buy anything any more.
I had to chuckle. I mean, $890 for a fly rod? Thank you anyway. I'll stick with my ten year old Scott rods.

Is a brand new fly rod, or bicycle, better than an older one? Maybe. But probably not. Like Bulldog says, it's nearly all sales hype. In small niche markets they have to keep re-inventing their wares in order to sell you the latest and greatest.

But it doesn't follow that those who prefer not to partake of this marketing strategy are retro, or grouches in any way.
Old 07-22-16, 10:50 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's not being a grouch, it's wearing the badge with pride. But to the marketers (and young turk salesmen at LBS), you're a grouch.

what's even better is a new to you 1932 fly rod that was in Fred Thomas' hand.
Old 07-22-16, 11:18 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by rootboy
Holy cwap! I hope you're making your own, Grady. TWENTY BUCKS for a fly!!!??? (On one site I just checked)

A 41 inch fish, eh? That's fantastic, man. I can't imagine hooking one of those monsters in shallow water in a lake. But I'd love to try it.
Luckily I got those from my students.

Are you still tying up flies?
Old 07-22-16, 09:12 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Why is it that when people are happy with what they have (no matter what it is - bikes, clothes, computers, phones, etc.) and refuse to give in to changing for the sake of changing/fashion/keeping up, they are labeled retro grouches or luddites? It's total BS. I always admire the folks who stand up to the "new is always better" and "you're out of touch" bullies. And that's what they are - bullies. They try to shame people into doing what they want them to do. Right now a lot of carbon fiber bike owners are bullies, ...
Wow. I'd like to meet some of those "bullies" - I never have. I have seen people who enjoy modern gear and don't like retro-gear, but I've never met a bully. In fact I've never met a person who expresses anything but admiration, or at worst, curiosity when they see a retro rider. Bullies? That's rich. I think you might read too many overly-sensitive "shaming" stories on the internet.

On the other hand, I have met a lot of retro-lovers, in person and online, who disparage people who like modern gear, example:

...someone decked out in the latest Lance-clone lycra astride the appropriate Lance-lookalike Trek with all the clickety bits ...
To me this is a disparaging way of referring to someone who isn't dressed or riding "approved" gear, as if the rider is a clueless Euro-pro wannabe instead of what he probably is: just a guy who likes modern gear and likes to dress in that sort (highly functional) stuff when he rides. I don't wear pro-logo gear, but so what?

By the way, I own and admire vintage gear. If I could own only one bike, I'd sell every bike I own and find myself a top-shelf vintage steel bike, probably with downtube indexed shifting, but friction would be OK too. But I have, and love, my carbon fiber bike with modern-ish 10 speed integreted shifters.
Old 07-22-16, 09:36 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
On the other hand, I have met a lot of retro-lovers, in person and online, who disparage people who like modern gear, example:
Yeah, it does seem to cut both ways if you're honest. I've been known to think disparaging things and sometimes say them.

Actually I get mostly oohs and ahhs from carbon riding cyclists out on the road when they see my old PX10. I also get quite a few people trying to sprint past me because, as everyone knows, steel bikes are heavy and slow, and they don't want to get embarrassed by losing to one. It becomes sort of and accidental form of humiliation when they get passed again a little later. People new to cycling seem to have the misconceived notion that the new bikes are like 1/3 the weight of steel and twice as efficient. It's still not about the bike.
Old 07-22-16, 10:38 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
also derived my entire P-chem class from Maxwell's relations
Can't be done. Sorry. (I teach P-chem.)

Classical thermodynamics doesn't actually posit the existence of molecules.
Old 07-22-16, 10:58 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Yeah, it does seem to cut both ways if you're honest. I've been known to think disparaging things and sometimes say them.

Actually I get mostly oohs and ahhs from carbon riding cyclists out on the road when they see my old PX10. I also get quite a few people trying to sprint past me because, as everyone knows, steel bikes are heavy and slow, and they don't want to get embarrassed by losing to one. It becomes sort of and accidental form of humiliation when they get passed again a little later. People new to cycling seem to have the misconceived notion that the new bikes are like 1/3 the weight of steel and twice as efficient. It's still not about the bike.
There is something about the old Peugeots that can cause people to stop and take a look. I use mine for Coffee shop rides. My original thought was because it was the oldest bike in my fleet it would be the safest to park and lock outside. It turns out I was wrong because it draws people moths to a light.

That being said it is not my choice for chasing down many of the CF club riders I know in my area. And hardly ever if such a chase involves a long ride up a mountain. I do use it now and then on group rides.

I do have a friend that does chase them down on climbs on an old Serotta, but he weighs maybe a buck ten and can't keep up on the down hill or the flats.
Old 07-23-16, 03:29 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Can't be done. Sorry. (I teach P-chem.)

Classical thermodynamics doesn't actually posit the existence of molecules.
you teach statistical thermo (particle in a box) and say something can't be done?

not only did I get an A in P-chem, I didn't take the final and got an A.
Old 07-23-16, 04:50 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I would never disparage the people but I will happily disparage the bikes! That's half the fun, you know.
Old 07-23-16, 04:55 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
All about person choices, no disdain for other people's choices, except for that 30-something salesman in the LBS who's putting all those round people in lycra.
Old 07-23-16, 07:05 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
All about person choices, no disdain for other people's choices, except for that 30-something salesman in the LBS who's putting all those round people in lycra.
I'm sure round people enjoy wearing lycra as much as I do. I don't expect them to care what I think of how they look. I'm happy to see round people riding bikes anyway.

As Andy Rooney said, "I'm in shape. Round is a shape."

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-23-16, 07:15 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I love my 80 bikes, but I am not period-correct by a long shot.. My mid 80s Ironmans, they get STI, but my 85 Raleighs and even earlier ones, I kept them with DTs, but go with clincher wheels, later seats, tires, and of course new er bartape..

On the stick shift, up until this year, with the mini van, the F150 was the only auto tranny I ever owned. All stick shift, and not only that, all with just 2 doors too.. ..Dam, I need to go back to that!!
Old 07-23-16, 07:30 AM
gomango

Heh, I resemble that remark.

Stuffed sausages unite!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-16, 08:13 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
... I'm happy to see round people riding bikes anyway.

which I stated about 3 pages ago. no need to call me out (is it grouch to call someone else grouch?)
But there's something to be said for baggy canvas and nylon bike shorts, as well

As far as the enjoy part, most of the round people I've seen in lycra were not enjoying anything, especially the riding position of their new drop bar road bike
(on my ride this morning, there were about 200 out in my semi-rural borough).
There's also something to be said for smart, efficient semi-upright and upright bikes

Last edited by bulldog1935; 07-23-16 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-23-16, 08:27 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Heh, I resemble that remark.

Stuffed sausages unite!!!!!!!!
Snausages!

Old 07-23-16, 08:41 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
There's also something to be said for smart, efficient semi-upright and upright bikes

Just the thing for plootering down to the farmers market, Vanderpool to Leaky not so much.
Horses for courses and all that......

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Internat'l_14.jpg (98.9 KB, 67 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.