Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Visser Vainqueur potential project or scrap?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-20, 09:11 AM
Locomotief

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts

This is my visser Vainqueur I bought a couple off years ago. I initially bought it for the mafac tiger brakes and for the Brooks saddle.

This is how it was advertised:

Today I dug it out of my shed.

i took off all the parts I wanted to keep and was on my way to the scrapyard when I changed my mind. I really liked the frame and lugs. And it's been in my shed the last couple off years.

This is how he looks now:

Is it worth saving it? And what should I do with it? Repaint or leave it as it is. Do a restomod with more modern parts. Or a restoration.

And can anybody tell me more about the bike? How made the frame?

And I forgot to make a detailed picture but there are small mounting points on the front fork for some kind off luggage rack. Does anybody know what used to be there?

Happy with any info or input

Greetings stef
Likes For Locomotief:
Old 01-04-20, 09:36 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,681 Times in 2,609 Posts
That’s very cool and has a ton of potential as a city bike build. What’s the wheel size?
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-04-20, 09:55 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I don't know anything about Visser, but I'll second the comment that it is a very cool bike. If it is your size, even better. If it were mine I'd try to clean it up and get it road worthy - decide on paint after riding it.
Old 01-04-20, 09:59 AM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
So I’ve been starring at these pics for about ten minutes..... the headtube/headbadge and the chain guard need to ride again. Although the chrome is rough,give the frame a deep clean. Try out some different setups that you may have at your disposal. (Straight bars, coaster wheels, front rack. Whatever you might have in the bin. Good luck! Cheers, Kevin
Old 01-04-20, 10:01 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
It could use a bath in oxalic acid to remove the rust and inspect the frame to see how serious the corrosion was. I have no knowledge about the frame material. Have you put the brakes to good use? A few years ago Bicycle Quarterly had an article on centerpull brakes and mentioned the Tiger. The chainguard is a classic also.
Old 01-04-20, 10:02 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/1970s...ck-sold--30842

https://studiobrisant.com/visser-vainqueur-singlespeed

Visser (Teun Visser) ? Klassieke Nederlandse Racefietsen
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-04-20, 10:34 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I see too many nice details to scrap it. If it were mine, it would be a project.
Old 01-04-20, 11:09 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,599 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Locomotief
Thank you for posting those pictures here, Locomotief . There is a lot here that's worth trying to save, IMO.

The frame is one. Looking at it I'm fairly sure it was made in Belgium and may be a decade younger than my earlier assessment. Teun Visser had his frames made elsewhere, and Wout Verhoeven was one of his suppliers. Verhoeven was an importer of Belgian "no name" frames for the Dutch market. More information on these here: Show & Tell: Giovanni.

Giveaways are the stays, which are painted silver rather than chromed (correct?) and the front rack braze-ons. Both are rarely if ever found on Dutch bikes. The "AA" decal above may be a clue as to by whom this frame was built. It looks well-made, and is certainly worth getting back on the road or even restoring to its former glory.

The chainguard is an Ardex, and a nice one at that. Worth a couple of tenners to someone. Several on eBay right now. The cranks and bottom bracket are Stronglight products. Worth keeping if still in good working order. The pedals look interesting too. I don't immediately recognize them, but the dust caps say "good stuff".

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 01-04-20, 11:25 AM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Nice frame and interesting details. Subscribed!
Old 01-04-20, 11:58 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked 4,599 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by alexnagui
Nice frame and interesting details. Subscribed!
Ah! The Rotterdammers are chiming in. Excellent.

For those who didn't know: Visser Vainqueur is a Rotterdam brand, owned by Teun Visser. He started his shop after a stint as a mechanic with the Dutch Televizier team which rode a couple of Tours de France and was very successful in the Vuelta a España during the sixties.

Old 01-04-20, 12:44 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
That rear rack gives me a visual to look for on my French project.

Old 01-04-20, 01:02 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Oscar Egg lugs. Every detail of frame says this is a top bike. May be that Teun Visser bought them elsewhere, for this example he was demanding a quality product.

Big project. There is not enough time to save them all. If this one appeals to you it could be worth it.
Old 01-04-20, 03:07 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
It would be fun to consider a dual drive for the Visser, spread it to 135mm, with something like the cheap and cheerful Sturmey Archer CS-RF3 and your choice of 9 speed bits, keep the chain guard and the crankset.

Old 01-04-20, 03:30 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
That "chrome" may not be chrome, but paint. Have seen other brands in better shape appear similar.
I would make it a project.
Likes For repechage:
Old 01-04-20, 03:38 PM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Scrap? Never heard of it
Likes For norcalmike:
Old 01-04-20, 04:16 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
This is very cool, do not let it go.

We are really wishing this would have gotten an inhibitive treatment when stashed away.

I say get to work, undo all you can with all your might.
Old 02-01-20, 03:35 PM
Locomotief

Thanks for all the replies guys!

The Visser Vainqueur is a keeper. You guys convinced me. It will take a while before I can start this project. I first want to finish my french folding bike. But I'll slowly start collecting parts.

A while back I took my cargo bike to the dump and found these wheels in the dumpster. They might end up on the visser.

Likes For Locomotief:
Old 02-01-20, 03:38 PM
Locomotief

Originally Posted by Kdogbikes
So I’ve been starring at these pics for about ten minutes..... the headtube/headbadge and the chain guard need to ride again. Although the chrome is rough,give the frame a deep clean. Try out some different setups that you may have at your disposal. (Straight bars, coaster wheels, front rack. Whatever you might have in the bin. Good luck! Cheers, Kevin
Never cleaned up a frame before. Mostly ride them like I find them. I might give this frame a go and see how it cleans up.
Old 02-01-20, 03:42 PM
Locomotief

Originally Posted by ironwood
It could use a bath in oxalic acid to remove the rust and inspect the frame to see how serious the corrosion was. I have no knowledge about the frame material. Have you put the brakes to good use? A few years ago Bicycle Quarterly had an article on centerpull brakes and mentioned the Tiger. The chainguard is a classic also.
The rust isn't to deep. Will have to see how it cleans up.

tiger break is still waiting to be used. I only use mafac on my bikes. I really like the look and there inexpensive and easy to get. These are my first tiger ones do.
Old 02-01-20, 03:45 PM
Locomotief

Thanks a lot for the background info on the bike #dedhed !
Old 02-01-20, 03:53 PM
Locomotief

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Thank you for posting those pictures here, Locomotief . There is a lot here that's worth trying to save, IMO.

The frame is one. Looking at it I'm fairly sure it was made in Belgium and may be a decade younger than my earlier assessment. Teun Visser had his frames made elsewhere, and Wout Verhoeven was one of his suppliers. Verhoeven was an importer of Belgian "no name" frames for the Dutch market. More information on these here: Show & Tell: Giovanni.

Giveaways are the stays, which are painted silver rather than chromed (correct?) and the front rack braze-ons. Both are rarely if ever found on Dutch bikes. The "AA" decal above may be a clue as to by whom this frame was built. It looks well-made, and is certainly worth getting back on the road or even restoring to its former glory.

The chainguard is an Ardex, and a nice one at that. Worth a couple of tenners to someone. Several on eBay right now. The cranks and bottom bracket are Stronglight products. Worth keeping if still in good working order. The pedals look interesting too. I don't immediately recognize them, but the dust caps say "good stuff".
Hi #non-fixie

your very knowledgeable on the visser bikes. I'm happy I drove back from the scrap dealer. Can't wait to get the bike on my wall to start stripping it down and look at it in more detail. I've checked the web a couple off times now and the braze ones on the front can be used for quit a lot of racks. Hopefully I'll find something nice to put on the bike.

I'm not sure if its chrome or paint the back. I'll have to check it next time I'm in my shed.
Old 02-01-20, 03:56 PM
Locomotief

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Ah! The Rotterdammers are chiming in. Excellent.

For those who didn't know: Visser Vainqueur is a Rotterdam brand, owned by Teun Visser. He started his shop after a stint as a mechanic with the Dutch Televizier team which rode a couple of Tours de France and was very successful in the Vuelta a España during the sixties.

My girlfriend lives in Rotterdam and she likes the fact that the bike is from her city. Even if I wanted to the bike is not leaving anymore
Old 02-01-20, 04:03 PM
Locomotief

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
That rear rack gives me a visual to look for on my French project.

Hi #3speedslow ,
I don't think the rack is the original one. The one that's on it is a typical dutch rack and was probably put on it to carry more weight.

Im gone look for something like this. Wish me luck. Don't see ones like these come by very often.....

And good luck with your project. What's your plan?
Old 02-01-20, 04:15 PM
Locomotief

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
It would be fun to consider a dual drive for the Visser, spread it to 135mm, with something like the cheap and cheerful Sturmey Archer CS-RF3 and your choice of 9 speed bits, keep the chain guard and the crankset.

hi #Nemosengineer ,

I'm new to this stuff and I never knew that these dual drives existed. I really like them. the plan for now is to use mostly secondhand parts from several secondhand bike shops and what I have lying around. I know of some places that might have some interesting stuff. Picking secondhand parts from online market places is dangerous for me. Somehow I always end up with more project bikes....

And visiting bikeshops everytime I bump in to one sounds like a nice way to spend my time. There are some really cool shops hidden away in cities i would normally not look for.
Old 02-01-20, 05:06 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Locomotief

I'm new to this stuff and I never knew that these dual drives existed. I really like them. the plan for now is to use mostly secondhand parts from several secondhand bike shops and what I have lying around.
Glad you've decided to save it. The 'if' is usually a money pit of a project but if patient and holding a strict budget, avoid looking at new pricey bits like above. Also, I would rather see old parts on this one.

Regarding your interest in a 'dual' drive, suggest a nice 3 speed IGH Sturmey Archer (or the like Styria / Austria) easily obtained for $30usd or salvage freebie. Then with patience, hunt the US and euro e-bay for Cyclo 3 speed cog and an old derailleur.
Likes For crank_addict:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.