Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Good ebike or scam?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Good ebike or scam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-20, 08:36 PM
yame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good ebike or scam?

I've recently been looking into getting an e bike, and I know what kind of bike I want. I'm trying to not go overboard on price, and I found a bike that looks right for me but I'm not sure how legit the brand is. I'm new here, was hoping I could get some help. Thanks.

I can't link the URL to this post, but it's an AOSTIRMOTOR bike. Not sure if they are legit or not. M2S was my ideal brand of choice, but their shipping fees are expensive, and this looks like a much better option. Help is appreciated, thank you.
Old 05-12-20, 10:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
scam.

Get a quality bike with a quality Bosch, Brose, Shimano or at least Yamaha motor. Those cheap online brands are great if I am looking to purchase a very expensive disposable bike but for some of these companies trying to get service and support is so difficult to say the least. If you don't spend money on quality you will go overboard on price in repairs, replacement parts and something for your constant headaches.

Find a local shop that specializes in e-bikes and talk with them and test ride some bikes and find something that will work well for you. Make sure the place has a some different brands to try out and that they have some Bosch motors in the place that aren't all Active Line. It will be a mutually beneficial situation. They will have your back for service and warranty and you will have a bike you can better rely on. Looking just at specs online doesn't give you a sense of how the bike feels and how it will ride for what you are doing. Sure price will dazzle it usually does but when it comes to actual ride time you will be thankful you test rode some bikes and talked to an expert.
Old 05-12-20, 11:15 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Unless you have the skills to do rewiring and deal with voltage and watts and such, buying a cheap e-bike is a pound-foolish decision. It WILL crap out on you and if you cannot fix it, you will be left with a big dead anchor. I've friends who purchased e bike kits and all-in-one systems from China, similar to the cheap e-bikes like this, and every single one of them was either tossing it out within a year (often just a few months) or having to tear them apart and rebuild them. Stick with a brand that has a reputation for customer service.
Likes For linberl:
Old 05-13-20, 02:13 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I would buy a kit and upgrade an existing bike. It will be less expensive when you need parts, as you don't need to stick to any brand.
Old 05-13-20, 06:48 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I bought a brand name ebike at a local bike shop. My next bike was a Direct to Consumer ebike. Even name brand manufacturers use brand name mid drives, they still have no spare parts once the ebike is out of production. I'd look at mid tiered ebikes. Like Aventon, Blix, Rad Power they have good reputation and you get a great value ebike. Hub drives have been in production a lot longer than mid drives. People always complain about non top of the line derailer systems by Shimano. From my experience, you don't need top of the line shifting on an ebike where the electronics does most of the work, weight is not an issue and these derailer systems are proven. Whether you buy a 4-runner or a corolla its the same a Toyota. The same is true of Shimano. The fastest growing ebike market segment is Direct to Consumer. You can get your ebike serviced at a local bicycle shop or mobile bike repair business if you can't do your own service. Good luck
Old 05-13-20, 11:02 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 621 Posts
Bikes and batteries are mature in development and most are reliable. Your choice should depend on anticipated use and finance considerations. I have a direct drive DIY system that has operated perfectly as an errand bike for five years with the same 52V, 10 ah battery that has powered a BBS02 off road bike for the same interval. My daughter just told me of a fun ride she had yesterday with a six year old Dillenger system on her cruiser. Decide what you need and how much you can spend and we can help select the optimum system (look at today's post in the "battery" section" of an inexpensive kit in its sixth or whatever year).
Old 05-13-20, 01:08 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Something like this one?
https://aostirmotor.com/collections/...ithium-battery

The caveat with the inexpensive imports will be lack of tech support. Often the importer is just one guy, and he (a) may have English as a second language, and (b) know less about ebikes than the buyer. If your knowledge of bicycle repair and electrics is minimal, better to buy a bike from a local shop and have them maintain it for you.

Nonetheless, I've seen a few inexpensive imports up close and feel they are good values as long as you realize no one is going to help you afterwards. Buy at your own risk.
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 05-14-20, 07:43 AM
2old

IMO, individuals try to make ebikes a lot more esoteric than necessary. Just do your homework, find a good vendor and proceed. Look at the ratings on Amazon; some inexpensive bikes with verified purchasers and great ratings are a start. Those of us who have been doing this for years successfully weren't born with this knowledge. If you have specific questions, ask here or for more powerful systems, endless sphere. For DIY, there are YESCOM systems ($200 for the motor, controller etc - no battery) with 20,000+ miles on them. This is my five year old.
Likes For 2old:
Old 05-24-20, 10:45 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Do what veganbikes said. The other options are headaches. Well maybe you like headaches.

-SP
Old 05-25-20, 11:17 AM
2old

Not unexpectedly, the owners of retail shops (all very nice guys, by the way) tend to suggest OEM. I've been doing this for five years with DIY (and one OEM, a Haibike) and no headaches. For me, assembling a DIY system is part of the fun.
Likes For 2old:
Old 05-25-20, 12:27 PM
DukeO

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yame
I've recently been looking into getting an e bike, and I know what kind of bike I want. I'm trying to not go overboard on price, and I found a bike that looks right for me but I'm not sure how legit the brand is. I'm new here, was hoping I could get some help. Thanks.

I can't link the URL to this post, but it's an AOSTIRMOTOR bike. Not sure if they are legit or not. M2S was my ideal brand of choice, but their shipping fees are expensive, and this looks like a much better option. Help is appreciated, thank you.
I have bought 3 ebikes from M2S and they are well built. I ride a Dual Sport Ultra with a Bafang Ultra Max mid-drive. 160 N.m of power and comes with a thumb-throttle. I would not want an ebike without one unless your doing some kind of racing. I use it about 1% of the time. But it is nice to know it is there and can give you a quick boost to get you out of trouble and helps get you safely through intersections.
Old 05-30-20, 03:02 AM
Camouflage

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Recently, my friend saved up for months to buy a Verve+ 2 from Trek. Says it's worth it. But that's really a high-end choice. I personally Wouldn't recommend spending so much on a bike. But people have their preferences I guess. Like my friend did.
Old 05-31-20, 11:40 AM
Ebiker71

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yame

I would look at the Aventon "Level" bike. I have the Aventon Pace 500 and love it. I would have gotten the Level but they came out a month after I purchased and had no idea they would be that nice. Suspension fork and 500 watt motor. Plus a throttle.
Old 06-09-20, 08:10 AM
jetpilotVE

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks great! One question (sorry to hijack): are the saddlebags sued to cover up the wiring or do they have any ebike related purpose?
Old 06-09-20, 08:20 AM
Ebiker71

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The saddlebag's purpose is not to cover up the wiring. I carry small air pump, metric hex nut wrenches (Allen wrenches), small flashlight etc. I got a great saddle bag in the bike department of Walmart.